“Terrible Experience.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nanaimo
Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV
“Terrible Experience.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Living Forest Campground was a huge disappointment to our family. The view of the ocean is beautiful, but the sites are small and under harsh patrol of the security. There is a set bedtime at this campground, so if you stay up past 11:00 pm at night you will be harassed until you put your fire out and go to bed. There is absolutely no noise after 11:00 pm. We were approached rather rudely by a man telling us to quiet down when were just calmly talking in our site. After that we all were made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. These campsites were insanely over priced and the fact they think they can tell a bunch of adults when they should go to bed is ridiculous to me. The firewood we got was soaking wet and the wifi did not work at all. All in all a really bad time. I will never be going there again and I will never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
14 Thank bremaxine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Living forest is a great place to stay if you like to have no fun whatsoever. No music whatsoever at anytime seems extreme to me. We were playing music off an iPhone which as many know does not go very loud. The music would have been in audible to anyone not within 8 feet of it. We were rather rudely told that we weren't allowed to listen to it. We didn't get there til the evening and we purchased the overpriced small bundle of wood for 7$. We started a fire right away to cook some dinner but the fire wouldn't even start til nearly eleven because of how soaking wet the wood was. No fires are allowed after 11 so again we were rudely informed we would have to let our fire burn out so we enjoyed our fire for all of 10 minutes cooked our food and let it burn out. We proceeded to play a game of cards and around 12:30 the same man came around and was extremely rude with us informing us that there is actually a bedtime at living forest and you have to be in bed by 11. I'm not sure why they would let us check in and by awful firewood at 9 at night knowing all this and not telling us in advance. Worst campsite ever, very rude man on golf cart, treated like children. Awful experience in general.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank maddy b
scottotheforest, social engagement coordinator at Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I'm sorry you had a bad experience Maddy. Sounds like the biggest problem was arriving late but not being told about our quiet time policy, compounded by wood that seemed pricey to you and not as dry as it should be. I spoke with our manager about the wood and he confirmed that it is split and stacked in our drying shed in October, so I'm at a bit of a loss for explanation, but anytime there is a problem, alert our office and we'll do our best to make it right, right away.

We pay all of our staff fair wages, and with the amount of handling that each piece of firewood gets before it gets to the camper means this is a time consuming, labour intensive process and we have to purchase our firewood supply from the same folks that supply most of the parks on the Island, and it isn't cheap. This all means that even at $7/bundle, it is a break even affair for us. We welcome and encourage people to bring their own wood or use a propane campfire (we rent them). I camp all over the Island too, and have found similar prices in our travels. It is much more expensive than days gone by, but not just at Living Forest.

I will speak to front office staff about being clear at check in about our 11 o'clock 'fires out, quiet time', particularly on a late check in, as you had no time to enjoy a fire. The quiet time rule which our security person enforces, is in keeping with the wishes of the majority of campers- we read our suggestion box comments carefully. In fairness, it is very well posted with signage, on our websites, bulletin boards and the park map you're given at check in.

All rules are going to please some and wrankle others. With 300 sites, our security person has a big job at 11 o'clock to cover all the sites and check for noise, and if he seemed rude, I very much apologize. But the 11 o'clock quiet time is something that suits the majority and since it's what we advertise and publicize, it's what campers expect, so we do have to make sure those trying to sleep can, and not be disturbed after 11. Same with music, it's a posted policy and suggested by the majority of our campers, not something we dreamed up to be restrictive.

Thanks for taking time to review our park, and I will address the communication with late check ins for those who are unfamiliar with our rules. Even if you don't agree with our policies, I hope my explanation helps shed light on the reasoning behind them. -- Happy Camping on your next time out. -Scott Littlejohn, Living Forest
Vancouver Island BC Canada eh.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Me and my family as well as two other camping parties decided to spend the Canada day long weekend at The Living Forest Oceanside campground and RV park. The three of us were tenting so we booked well in advance. We stayed in sites T-21, T-23 and T-24. I'll give a quick summary of the pro's and con's of this campsite.

PROS:
-friendly check in, friendly and fairly prompt communication via email when booking
- beautiful view's from specific sites, especially ours (T-23)
- flush toilets as opposed to outhouses, fairly clean
- hot coin showers ($1 for 5 minutes)
-nice little ice cream stand on grounds, convenient for hot days
-small little beach access area and numerous trails throughout.
-paved roads throughout, great for kids riding bikes and chalk drawing
-decent little playground for younger children.
- not a lot of partying going on considering the crazy number of camp spots.

CONS:
- NOISE!!The campsite does not allow any "outside" music which means no stereo's or boom boxes etc. This was great in the "keeping with nature" theme the park seems to have but we were unable to enjoy the sounds of the birds chirping etc due to a screaming child in site T20. We were camping with four kids of our own. I am normally a very empathetic person especially when I hear a child crying but this kid SCREECHED at the top of its lungs for hours on ends and the parents did NOTHING to console him/her. And this wasn't just once in a while. It was ALL day and ALL night. I know this is more a complaint about the parents of this child but even if this shrieking child had not ruined two nights of our trip, surely the close proximity of the campsites would have been a deal breaker anyways. I am used to "condo camping" side by side but you could hear everything your neighbors said or did.
- bathrooms. I dislike outhouses and would be willing to stand in line for 45 minutes to use a flush toilet and that's often what I did... Waited in line for the bathrooms. The people to bathroom ratio was not even. They need more toilets.
- wood. They charged $7 for 7 WET pieces of wood. I don't think wood should be something that they make a big fat profit from, it should contribute to the enjoyable camping atmosphere that you are paying for.
- lack of garbage cans. They ask that you not put your campsite garbage into their bathroom garbage cans yet the only garbage cans I could find were near the office. If one is walking their dog on a leash (as we often did) it would be nice to put the dog poo bags we carried somewhere rather than having to carry them all the way to the entrance of the campsite.
- They don't sell a lot of necessity items in their office. While they have ice and overpriced chips or marshmallows, they have no tooth brushes, aspirin, suntan lotion, tooth paste, sanitary supplies, bars of soap or shampoo... Just the little things that one might not think to pack. There is a dollar store a short drive away but again, that involves leaving the campground.
- bugs! We really enjoyed the view from our campsite and the forest area is lovely but the bugs are INSANE. My son had more than 30 bug bites on his body despite rubbing ourselves with fabric softener sheets (which is supposed to keep bugs away) using "off" bug spray and wearing long sleeved shirts and pants! It was insane.
- The cost. $26-$48 a night is the summer price range. Not a steal by any means but not outrageous. Just know before you go, the campsite cost includes only TWO guests, any additional people cost: children 6-17 are an extra $1, extra adults are $4 PER night.

Needless to say, we will not be back anytime soon!
Very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Canshy
scottotheforest, marketing and social engagement coordinator at Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thanks for your review Canshy. Obviously it's nicer to respond to a wonderful review, but that's what TripAdvisor is all about. And I appreciate you taking time to outline the positives of your stay too. Let me speak to some of the things that made your stay less than stellar, just to give you an idea of why' some of the things are the way they are at Living Forest, even if they're not easily changed. Our park is continually being upgraded and fine tuned, and camper feedback is almost always where ideas for our changes come from.

First, it sounds like the biggest issue of your stay was the noise from the neighbouring kids. Some folks have different styles of parenting, and that's a tough one to deal with on a long weekend, made worse when we don't have any other sites to relocate you, which we would normally offer in a situation like that. Our staff and owners all camp too, and know what it's like to be next to people accustomed to 'living out loud'.

When the park is completely full, the number of bathrooms seems like it's never enough if you have to wait. We try very hard to cater to our campers' needs by making sure our showers and the 22 flush toilets located around the park are well constructed and maintained. Two new bathrooms were completed in the last year also, but on long weekends there's going to be a strain on resources, and I know that's not fun.

I do apologize if the firewood you received was wet. I wish you would have brought that to our attention- we would have exchanged it for dry wood. I have no explanation except to say that we spend several months each fall stockpiling wood so it's seasoned for the camping season- we hate wet wood when we camp too! As for pricing, will tell you that because we pay fair wages to our staff, and because buying/splitting/stacking/bundling/transporting to office of the firewood is so labour intensive, even at the $7/bundle price, firewood is only a break even proposition. We actually encourage campers to bring their own! We also rent propane campfires and, similarly, encourage folks to bring those too if they own one.

And speaking of profit, you may have noticed that our cafe is donating ALL profits from that part of our operation to charity. Any profit we make comes from the camping fees, and overall, we feel our rates are in line with many other campgrounds in our region according to our ongoing research. Our pricing policy on extra adults and kids is posted on our website and rate brochures, so I'm hoping there wasn't any misunderstanding about that.

We have scaled back the number of products we sell in our office. We can't begin to compete with the prices offered at the shopping centre half a kilometer away, as you noticed with our marshmallows! For that reason, we encourage campers to grab supplies on their way in, or take the short walk/cycle/drive over to take advantage of their superior selection and pricing, if they forget something.

Garbage collection is something that is never perfect. We used to have individual site cans which was more convenient, but had serious drawbacks too- if lids got knocked off, dogs, crows or raccoons would make a mess. Also, the noise involved in twice weekly rounds through the park was always a half day unwelcome intrusion. Having to carry garbage and recycling to our central bins near the entrance was preferable to the majority of campers according to our surveys before we switched to this system a few years ago. The lesser of two evils shall we say.

And after a record wet June, I'm afraid the first couple weeks of July are going to see the peak of the mosquito season, before the dry part of the summer allows nature to curtail those pesky things. I've been up and down the Island over the past 10 days, and I can tell you, we haven't cornered the market on 'mozzies' at Living Forest- they're everywhere right now.

Canshy, I know you didn't have a great time on the long weekend, and I wish there was more I could do, but I will make sure your review is seen by owners and management as we are constantly trying to make our park a better place, and hearing the good and the bad is the only way to make that happen. Happy camping on your next adventure!
- respectfully, Scott Littlejohn
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This RV park blew us away as we pulled into our lot - 86 i think it was, over seeing estuary where there's a mixture of fresh water and salt water, just breath taking views and a beach house when you walk down to the water front.

Living forest have ice for your nice cold beers and soft drinks, fire wood of substantial size to go in your fire pit, picnic bench on plot and the best thing of all, a cable hook up! This was brilliant for the fact we arrived at the start of the Stanley cup play-offs! Topped off with amazing weather.

Room Tip: Lot 86! Make sure your lot oversees the water!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toby W
scottotheforest, community engagement coordinator at Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
One word: "Thanks a million"- OK, OK, that's three. Anytime anyone takes time to write a review, we are thrilled, as the Littlejohn family and our special staff love trying to impress campers with a park which is our pride and joy.

Vancouver Island is a unique jewel for travelers and those of us lucky enough to live here. I hope you find time to explore enough of it to make your jaw loosen into a 'wow' shape once or twice, like it did for us when we stepped off the ferry 45 years ago. Plan a trip back to the rock again when you get a chance, and safe adventures! --Scott of the Forest
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed for a few days in early June. Nice and quiet in the evenings. Nice sea view from #197. Clean rest rooms, nice playground. Hiking trails are very nice. Close to a mall for groceries and Timmies. Very nice people at the front desk. Sites are very large and the trees that separate the sites are growing.

• Stayed June 2013
scottotheforest, Public Relations Manager at Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
When I'm traveling, it's easy to get worked up enough to post a review for a place you had a bad experience, but when expectations are met, it's equally easy to just move on. For that reason, it's always fantastic to read a review where a camper's experience matched what they'd hoped for- especially when they mention the real heroes- our staff! Thanks for taking time to comment- most appreciated, and safe journeys!
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our stay here was for two months while we found a place to live, having just moved to the island. Our lot, as are most all lots, was very spacious and offered a fair amount of distance between ours and the next trailer. We picked one far back from the more popular ocean view side of the property. Because we were there in winter, there was not a lot of traffic or noise although with the well treed spaces I expect even in summer it would still be pretty relaxing and comfortable.

The staff was superb and helpful, the cost was certainly acceptable and well worth the offerings. We had stayed in other RV spots on out trip out to BC from Ontario and without fail. these were all "sardine can" style where trailers were jammed in as close as possible together to get as many in as they could. Not the case here. There are plenty of trees and space between most spots leaving you feeling nicely secluded in your space.

There are paths built into the surrounding forest that we explored regularly with our dogs (yes, pets are fine on a leash) and the people we encountered on our daily walks were all friendly, although this aspect isn't really under the control of the managers of course. I suppose this being the "winter crowd" may have given us a more relaxed bunch of people. None the less, we had a really great time here.

Amenities were good, for a campground. There are washrooms and showers peppered throughout the park although they were locked up for winter. A small concession stand was getting ready to open when we were about to leave. Laundry facilities were available and welcomed on our 2+ month stay. It is just up the road from a shopping area and large grocery store so although you are quite definitely "in the forest" amenities are just a 5 minute drive away.

This is a highly recommended space for RVers (and tent campers too) if you want to get away from the jam-packed feel of most such campgrounds.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paul A
Wiesendangen, Switzerland
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were sceptical first, because Living Forest Campground seemed to be the only one within the city area of Nanaimo, but that campground is really beautiful. Quiet despite the seaplanes, set in a nice forest, super views in the first and second rows. We watched seadogs playing every evening and sometime also during the day, directly from our site, wonderful! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Showers where clean, but a bit on the cold side for september (the water was very hot, so it was ok). Going into Nanaimo by public transportation is quite an experience, try it out by yourself, by bus;-) but it is manageable without problems. The big stores can be reached within 10 minutes walk, too, there are even some take-out places in the area. We stayed 3 nights and decided to stay for another 2 nights on our way back from the west coast to Vancouver.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a sunny site, go check the sites out first, it is worth it, since a lot of th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kanada11
scottotheforest, Community director at Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Living Forest. You write the kind of reviews we look for when we're planning trips- lots of details! If you go to the park map on our webpage, you can click on any site number and a photo of that site opens. We're proud of our park and love giving campers the chance to 'see' their site online before they arrive, and to be able to reserve that exact spot. Safe journeys!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanaimo
Coast Bastion Hotel
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 52 in Victoria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,151 reviews

Been to Living Forest Oceanside Campground & RV? Share your experiences!