“A charming taste of quaint, "provincial" France :)”
Review of Le Cafe Francais

Le Cafe Francais
Ranked #3 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: French little bistro. Authentique home cooking
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Ate here for the first time before leaving on an exchange trip to France. I had the seafood crepe (delicieux!) with fries and house salad. Since returning from la France, I ate there with my French 12 class. Apparently many other French teachers have the same idea, so the family who runs the restaurant was more than happy to "parler francais" with us and engage us in simple French conversation.

The food is what you'd expect from your typical small-town French restaurant. I think a lot of people go in there expecting fine dining simply because it's French. The portions are quite small, but this is what typical French dining is: quality over quantity! Us North Americans are simply not accustomed to that. Yes, the food is overpriced, which is too bad. There are a few desserts and other starters I'd love to try, however, the price is what's barring me from doing so.

I'd definitely come here more often if they priced things more realistically, because the food is great! :)

1  Thank GabrielleBishop

Reviewed September 12, 2010

was staying for one night at the Coast Bastion Hotel and someone at the spa recommended I eat at Cafe Francais. we had an excellent meal, true french atmosphere. Try it out if you are in Nanaimo!

1  Thank LVLTO
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We live in town and often bring our friends here. The food is consistently yummy and of high quality, and I like the warm if slightly tacky ambience. I particularly like the crepes and the seafood dishes. The chef - recently arrived from Normandy - comes out to say hello and makes recommendations. Honestly everyone we've brought here - most visitors from Vancouver - have enjoyed the evening here greatly and are enthusiastic to return.

Reviewed November 16, 2009

what happiness after 7 years in Canada to eat finally the French cuisine.
service and food are wonderful
damage that some customers do not make a true difference between house fries and of costco
many people have thought were in France visiting or from quebec
but I am a true French I can say
Finally a really good French restaurant in nanaimo

Reviewed September 19, 2009

I tried it last night ...besides the dumpy decor, ugly bamboo placemats, it's the worst French food and a rip-off!....the Coq au vin....is a tiny chicken breast with what is supposed to be an authentic sauce on it served with 3 small roast potatoes and a spoonful of beans....the dish is traditionaly a sort of stew that's been slow cooked 'til the meat falls off the chicken and it's supposed to have whole shallots etc. in the sauce....it tasted like a package of knorr.....The icing on the cake was they served margarine with the baguette....this French guy is laughing all the way to the bank at us dumb anglos....

2  Thank fullguy