“Excellent!!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: French little bistro. Authentique home cooking
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I tried Le cafe francais on a friday night and what first came to my mind was the feeling that I had. I felt like I wasn't in Nanaimo anymore. First, the waitress greeted me in french and she was really caring for the customers. Asking me if she could take my coat. French music playing, great atmosphere, delicious authentic french food. Beef tenderloin, Crepes, fish, Coq au vin and all other sorts of food. The owner took time to come and greet me. I couldn't resist the Creme brulee.
A great dining experience,
I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Chidozie O

Reviewed February 1, 2012

we went to LE CAFE FRANCAIS with my parents in law, and I must say that everything was over my expectation, first you are welcome by the waiter, very professionel, we started with an excellent wine, suggested by our waiter, as an appetizer, we had cognac and cheesed snail, oh! the cognac snails were so tasty with those walnut, Mmmm, my parents had the " coq aux vin" and at the first bite they melted in place, never seen them so happy, me and my wife had the "jarret" and the "filet mignon bordelais", and that was so tender, for dessert we all had the "crepe suzette" that we could share and it was funny to see the chef coming to our table to says "hi" he has been telling us about is experience around the world, in 9 different country, and still speaks with his marvelous accent. they are planning a special menu for Valentine's day, be sure that I will be there to enjoye it all again, but this time, I"ll be only with my wife. this french restaurant is so amazing, thanks to those two guys we have been experiencing the best of Nanaimo.....

2  Thank Samuel B
Reviewed January 31, 2012

What is a real French restaurant? That’s a good question.
It’s a place where you are looking for food tasting instead of food quantity (you have so many other place for that), you want to be caught at each plate, at each smell, at every bite and especially not left the slightest crumb in your plate.
The price will be a little bit more expensive than another restaurant. But you come in this restaurant for the French culinary art, for his history, for the knowledge of the Chef, maybe to plan your next trip in France and have a foretaste…..
Gilles is a real French Chef. He has a passion for cooking and he is full of character, like a real Normand. We had a discussion with him and he shared with us his love for cooking and for the Island. The place is Champêtre, with accordion French music, the service could be in English or French.
We had a very good supper, and the server was very friendly .We took, a salmon crepe for my girl friend, and a poulet du roi for me. The salmon crêpe was very taste with a good piece of salmon, le poulet du roi was so wonderfulllllll but it will be to hard to describe it in few words, for sure it’s one of the best meal from Le café Français. We didn’t try the desert crêpes but they looks like delicious, maybe next time. Obviously you can find in appetizer the Ricard and cognac for the digestif.
We will come back soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2011

This would be a great place.If only it were consistent. The crepes and other entrees are delicious; the salads are dressed with herbs and a perfect vinaigrette. The chef is amiable and the ambience pleasant. What a shame the rest of it doesn't measure up. The dull soup tastes mainly of salt. The desserts taste of fake 'whipped cream' and mysterious other short-cuts. The final insult is the coffee. Instead of a good French roast, you get something that tastes like burnt American-style beans. The best way to visit Le Cafe Francais is to enjoy one of their lovely entrees and then head across the street to Mon Petit Choux for dessert and coffee.

1  Thank visitingprof
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We had a lovely meal at the Cafe which is full of character. The chef is from France and took the time to come to the table to say hello. The food was just the right amount- traditional French crepes that were filling and exquisite. We'll definitely be back. The server was very friendly and happy to speak French or English to give the evening an extra special touch. Bravo!