“Good food, but a tad busy.”

Asteras Greek Taverna
Ranked #1 of 330 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We were a party of 8 and went on a Thursday night. We thought that being it was mid week we wouldn't have any large crowds to contend with. Wrong there. The restaurant filled shortly after our arrival to capacity. The owner came to our table several times, made very helpful comments on the menu items, to which our guests just loved. They raved about the lamb choices. The owner was also very helpful with our friend who has severe seafood allergies. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Prices have gone up a bit since last year, but the food remains of very good quality. The waitresses were attentive and replenished cutlery and appie plates often. I have been here several times for lunch as well and I always enjoy their mixed platters. If I was to add anything else, I'd say have one night a week where they feature some traditional Greek dancing. I would strongly recommend a reservation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Have lived in Nanaimo all my live but went to this restaurant for the first time last night because we had heard great things. Absolutely love the way that they have decorated the outside and the inside of the restaurant. Excellent service, fun atmosphere, 5 star food! The owner of the restaurant is very nice- gave us drinks and cake on the house, even shook our hand on the way out the door and thanked us for coming! We will definitely be back! One of the best restaurants in Nanaimo!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have been to Asteras several times and always have great food and service. The platter for 2 is excellent. The food has wonderful flavour and never bland. The owners make you feel welcome and thank you for coming in. This restaurant is always busy...a must try is you like Greek food.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Every time we go to Astera's we are treated like valued guests by Peter and his staff. The food is always generous and delicious and I particularily love the roast lamb. For appetizers we usually go with the calamari but last night tried the oysters. Delicious, but I still prefer the calamari. This little place is very cozy and I would say our go to restaurant if we have friends or family in town. I'd recommend a reservation as it was full for our 6:30 seating last night (Fri).

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Great ambiance, delightful & personal service by owner, authentic Greek food. Loved the vegetarian moussaka, lamb tasty and well done. Decent prices for wine. Service could not have been better.

Thank ELES ESCAPE B a... B