“Terrible Customer Service”
Review of Ramada Nanaimo

Ramada Nanaimo
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was booked to stay the night at the Ramada on Tuesday April 9th, 2013. I checked in after 5pm and was given the key to Room 201. Immediately after leaving my bag in the room I left for Nanaimo Regional General Hospital to visit my terminally ill father. He passed away shortly after I arrived, and I decided to return home instead of spending the night alone at the hotel. I booked the room to be close to my Dad, thinking I would be seeing him over a span of a couple of days. My partner asked if it would be possible to get a refund since I wasn't staying, and didn't even so much as put a finger on the beds, or receive a credit from the hotel. The very kind and compassionate desk clerk called the Manager, and we were told there would be no refund, or credit. I was out $116.00. I think that is terrible customer service. My father just died, and I couldn't even get a credit. BAD!! I don't recommend this hotel based entirely on the lack of compassion or concern for their customer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Kateri_001

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Warren B

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in Ramada hotel for one night during our kid's tournament (2 adults and 3 kids). Everything was great and we will return next time we are in Nanaimo. New hotel, good clean rooms. The room was big, clean, equipped with fridge and microwave. Good location. Free parking. Staff very helpful and accomodating. Breakfast was included - eggs and sausage patties, waffle maker, muffins, etc. Good for quick continental breakfast, filling, but not for somebody who thinks breakfast is a special treat. Not the cheapest place in Nanaimo, but we still thought it was a good value for Nanaimo.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Nanaimo is a funny town: Expensive accommodation but most often not worth the price. This Ramada is a prime example. A new building with very nice rooms, but weaker service and they ran out of food for breakfast, so we weren't able to have the free breakfast. Despite knowing they had sports teams staying, they clearly weren't prepared for the numbers of guests when we came down for breakfast, which was not even near the end of the scheduled breakfast time. it was a chaos of too many people and most food was gone. I couldn't even find a tea to drink. We ate at a restaurant off-site. This hotel earns a 3/5 only because of the quality of the rooms and cleaning. Otherwise, it would be a 2/5.

+'s

~ New building
~ Central location in Nanaimo
~ Rooms are spacious
~ Bathrooms are modern with nice slate flooring
~ Very clean rooms and bathrooms
~ Modern design: Thick solid doors to the bathroom and hallway means quiet. Windows are double paned so it was quiet from the street too.

-'s

~ Breakfast: Ran out of most food so we weren't able to have any breakfast.
~ This was a typical formulaic American breakfast setup - mechanical and unappealing.
~ "Deer in the headlights" front desk service. I think that squeezing a smile and a cheery service would have drained the staff completely dry of any energy they had. Clearly not happy staff.
~ Expensive price for the lower quality of service, lack of breakfast, and Nanaimo in general.

Special Treat:

Our room had a nice little balcony with chairs, a table, and a partial view of the ocean.

1  Thank PaulKurucz