“Good Value for Money”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Doncaster
“Good Value for Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Just stayed here one night having got off the ferry and arrived at 10.30p.m. Very nice hotel and the bedrooms were very clean with each room having two double beds. Breakfast was included and was limited but good.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

A newer hotel ideally situated near the ferry terminal and with easy access to the Island Highway. Clean and spacious rooms. No restaurant but complimentary breakfast (hot/cold) is served in a breakfast room off the lobby. A White Spot family restaurant is within easy walking distance for other meals. Efficient but not particularly friendly staff. It would be nice to be greeted with a smile and a welcoming word at check-in rather than a blank stare!
Otherwise this hotel provides good value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Average Ramada. Check in was easy. We were booked in the king jacuzzi suite. The room was large and clean. We did not have a balcony. We had two large windows and only one of them had black out curtains, the other had some cheap plactic mini blinds which overlooked someones discusting dirty and junk filled backyard. There is no room service, or an on site restaurant.

I have read about other reviewers vehicle security issues and the statements that it was in a dumpy area and I somewhat agree. The whole town is old though, and I'm wondering if there really is an upscale area anywhere? This is definately the newest hotel in Nanaimo. It is conveniently located close to the ferry terminal, restaurants and the new harbour park area.

The breakfast.....It was available from 6-10 am. There is no on site restaurant and the hotels attempts to serve you a hot breakfast. The sausage and egg patties are microwaved frozen products. (Yes, i saw them being microwaved) Indescribably horrible. They should have just stuck with a basic continental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amsterdam_again
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

From the time I made the telephone reservation to the time we checked out we felt the management and staff services were very poor.

When we made the reservation we had very clear requests and were told over the phone that they could be accommodated; top floor, away from elevator and ice machine.

On the day we checked in we were first given a room on the first floor where the room window faced the parking lot. I reminded the front desk clerk I had made specific requests, so she said she could move us to the 2nd floor (4 floor hotel) but would be next to the ice machine and the elevator mechanical room. We made it clear we were not happy that we were told our requests could be accommodated then upon arrival this didn’t happen.

Second night of our stay, around 1 am there was a party in the room next door to us. I called the front desk and they said they would take care of it right away. Well, by 2:30(ish) we had had enough and called the front desk again. It was around 3:30 before the party came to a close!

Upon checking out the front desk person asked how our stay was. I told her our experience. She suggested we contact the manager Jason Chi and she gave us his card.

As soon as we got home I sent an email to Mr. Chi explaining our experiences; from not having our room request taken seriously to the two calls to the front desk before the party was dealt with next door.

Mr. Chi made lots of excuses of why we didn’t get our room request and said we should have been happy because he gave us a king bed (the room on the first floor was only a queen). And regarding the party next door and the two calls to the front desk and the party going on until early hours of the morning, he said that they followed hotel protocol and that was that.

I feel Mr. Chai could have been more sympathetic to our situation. I feel if a guests has room request the hotel should be honest and let the guests know up front if they can’t fill the requests. As for the party next door, I feel the party should have been broken up on our first call to the front desk it should not have needed a second call at 2 am. Lastly, I feel when a guest/customer takes the time to write an email to the management, the management should be respectful and not patronizing (all that did was upset me enough to write this review on TripAdvisor!)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank happyhost
jchiNanaimo, Manager at Ramada Nanaimo, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear Guests,
I am sorry to hear your stay with us was not to your standards. I have done an internal investigation on the entire stay, and would like to clear things up on the matters at hand. In regards to your request about being on a high floor away from the elevator and ice machine, since most of our rooms were booked already, the hotel was only able to accompany 2 out of 3 of your requests. In exchange, our Front Desk Agent gave you a free upgrade to a king room. Secondly, in regards to your problems with another room, I reviewed the security reports / camera. After the first phonecall at 1:35am, our Front Desk Agent immediately notified our security personnel to go to Room 212 and sort the issue. Our security guard came down a few minutes later and reported to our Agent about the disturbance. After your second phonecall at 2:05am, our Agent personally dealt with the manner, and escorted each member to their appropriate rooms, and kept security on that floor until 3:30am. I assure you our security and Front Desk Agents followed protocol and attempted to do everything needed to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

We appreciate your business, and thank you for your concern

Jason Chi,
Hotel Manager
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I cannot speak highly enough of the staff and service we received at this hotel. Never before have I felt such genuine care and concern about how comfortable our room was. This is a beautiful hotel, very clean, very comfortable beds, good food, but the staff is what blew us away and made us forever loyal to this hotel when we are in Nanaimo.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

This was my first trip to British Columbia, I have to say this hotel really felt like I was home away from home. (I'm from Philadelphia). The room was similar to a small apartment for someone that is single but spacious enough for when my friends that lived in Nanaimo to come over to visit. The staff was really nice and the maid staff was just as nice.

Also they also don't seem to mind (as long as you tell them) it one person stays over with you so long as you mind the rules and are mindful of the other tenents. All in all I will stay here again since I normally travel with no care and rely on local transit to get around. It was near the harbor which was also nice and a great walking distance from many stores and also near transit buses.

However, the only problem i would say is for someone that has a car i've heard that there are issues with thefts if you have a car int he parking lot which the staff when i arrived are still trying to fix. But all in all it was a nice stay if your traveling alone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
British Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

I'm a Canadian and I brought 60 room nights to Nanaimo this month as part of a group I was leading - read the reveiws here and wish I'd heeded the information about theft/break-ins to vehicles at Ramada. One of our group had his car stolen - recovered within 8 blocks about 2 days later - passport and most other travel documents gone. "Welcome to Canada" I wish I'd never listed this hotel on recommended accommodation. The staff were nice enough but totally incapable of rendering useful assistance.

Stayed July 2009
7 Thank Speederchick
jchiNanaimo, Manager at Ramada Nanaimo, responded to this review, July 31, 2009
Thank you for your comments about the hotel. We appreciate the feedback and continue to use this to help us provide better service and accommodation to our guests.

Unfortunately the theft of items from cars is not a problem that is isolated to just our hotel or just our area. Please know that we most recently have added night security. We do continue to highly recommend that guests never leave anything in their cars.

Please accept our apologies that you did not have a good experience with your stay.
We hope that you will give our hotel another try the next time you are in Nanaimo.