“Newly Renovated, Great Stay, Good Price, Awesome Waffles!”

Howard Johnson Kelowna
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Calgary, AB
“Newly Renovated, Great Stay, Good Price, Awesome Waffles!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Why?
We travelled to Kelowna for a wedding on the weekend. 3 Adults and 1 baby. We found this place through online group buy and thought it would be worth a try.

The Location
Right on highway 97, easy to find. The road entrance/exit is on the east side of the boulevard so you will need to head northbound to enter, and head northbound to exit. U-turn is necessary. Almost everything is within a few blocks. Downtown is about 10 mins drive.

The Reservation and Arrival
The reservation was a bit messy because of the group buy restriction; and it took a couple calls to sort things out. Upon arrival, we found Dave the general manager to be quite helpful. He gladly arranged a 2 queens room for my family on the back side of the complex and gave us the scan key-card.

The Room
I would admit that looking from the outside, it was presented as a two star hotel. But once we open the door to our room, we were surprised to see a newly renovated three star class hotel room. It has two queen beds with clean linens and pillows, a work desk, an LCD panel TV, a microwave (excellent for us with babies), a fridge, an iron with board, a corner for hanger rack and luggage rack, an air conditioner, and an awesome bathroom.

The Bathroom
The bathroom has granite tile floor, all around tiled walls, a new style bath tub, with above class faucet and shower head and an outward curving shower curtain for more room. The towels were clean and fresh. The sink is outside of the bathroom, typical style of two star hotels; but it has granite top, fancy faucet and a hair dryer. The bathroom itself is almost up to par with a four star hotel.

The Night
I heard the highway 97 facing rooms can be noisy in the morning, but our back side room was totally fine. We slept through the night with no issue. The beds are soft. Pillows are good height. The blanket is adequate for the room temp. AC unit was a bit noisy, which is typical unless you have central air. Bring ear plugs if you want to sleep through a hot summer night.

The Breakfast, and the WAFFLES!
The hotel room comes with free continental breakfast, with the famous Waffles! The breakfast room is inviting. It has a few tables with an open kitchen. It gives you the feeling of eating breakfast at home. Dave is there happily to make waffles for guests and make sure supplies are refilled when needed. Breakfast served from 7:30am to 10am. You can walk in any time and expect Dave to make you great waffles. And yes, the waffles are great! Dave is friendly and approachable so we had some great conversations while eating breakfast. This makes us feel right at home.

The Service
People have different respectable opinions, but I found Dave to be very friendly and helpful. The backside room arrangement was very thoughtful, especially for family with babies. The breakfast service was great. The office closes at 11:30pm but when I phone front desk at 12 midnight, Dave answered the phone and provided me with a wine bottle opener. I thought this was exceptional hospitality and added the human touch to this two star hotel. There is Free WiFi in every room. Speed is comparable to my Rogers 3G. And if you need, Dave has a computer in the lobby for guest to use. The checkout was painless and fast.

Overall
Considering this is listed as a two star hotel, I think Dave has put in the extra effort to run it like a three star hotel. The new renovation, the extras like LCD TV, Free WiFi, Free continental breakfast, the exceptional service, all exceeded a two star hotel. So if you're looking for a good place to stay in Kelowna at a good price, this is worth considering. And you get great waffles too!!!

Room Tip: Backside rooms are quiet. Front side room facing highway 97 can be noise in the early morning. Ask D...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TigersUnlimited

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
victoria, bc
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I booked this room for my wife for 2 nights, and her statement was my title for review.
She got one of the remodeled rooms, which was completed except the carpet. The bathroom was all new faux granite tile and new fixtures. The bed was very comfy and the towels were plush.
She especially wanted to thank the owner/manager for offering to make her a waffle every morning.
Her only complaint was a 2nd floor room without an elevator, but for what we paid that could be overlooked.
We normally stay at 3 - 4 star hotels, but my wife just needed a comfy bed while on business in Kelowna, we got a good deal from Expedia and she will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a remodeled room, and if you don't like stairs ask for a room on the bottom f...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank downey
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2012

One of the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I came across this place through dealfind and although the price was good (in hotel pricing standard), the experience was not. I made a call to book a reservation and I was greeted by the owner (I assumed) who has a distinct accent. He was rude and clearly sounded annoyed when I asked him simple questions. I immediately had a first bad impression right away. The hotel itself looks outdated and old. The room was clean and spacious for two people. The fridge works and the TV was sufficient. However the microwave that we had is slightly broken. The fridge makes a constant buzzing sound that makes sleeping difficult. One of lamp does not work and the only thing I was happy about was the bathroom. The decoration of the room was old fashion and the a/c shuts off by itself time to time. The free wifi they provided sucks. Majority of the time there are no connection and several costumers complained. The service is complete trash. The day before we checked out, the cleaning lady came without announcing and sort of barged in our room. I was mortified at first, but she got our check out date mixed up and my boyfriend had to go to the office to clear things up. The bathroom light didn't turn on on the second day of our stay. We spoke with the owner and he said it will turn on by itself in half an hour and not to worry about it. Okay.....sounds a little sketch....we came back to our room a couple hours and it was still off. My boyfriend went to the office again and complained to have it fix, but they refuse to do so. What the hell? We ended up flicking the switch on and off hoping the light would pop back on. It did. And we never turned off that light for the remaining days. Our room had this unpleasant odor that we couldn't really pinpoint where it was coming from. (We're really picky on cleanliness) Some parts of the hotel is under construction so the noise can be heard in our room. The breakfast they provided was good and the staff member made waffles. Would I come here again? Definitely not.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kelowna hotels

Vernon, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Fair price but stairway outdated and dingy and steep climb to second floor, no handrails. During continental breakfast owner sat and watched how much people took to eat, making a person feel uncomfortable. It was stated to people that you could not take any food into the room thus you ate in front of the staff member.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Naramata, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband & I arrived after a long day of travel at the Howard Johnson's after midnight from the Kelowna airport. Manager/owner was right there in the office to greet us.
Room was clean & newly renovated. New microwave, fridge, TV. Comfortable king size bed. Breakfast was served at 7:30 am which I knew when we checked in (I would have liked to have some coffee a little earlier and I went to the breakfast area at 7:15 am looking for some but returned to my room for the extra 15 minutes and waited). Manager/owner was in the breakfast area in the morning making sure everyone was finding what they wanted (Waffles, bagels, muffins, cream cheese, cereal, fruit, juice & coffee). Coffee was a good brand name (real cream & milk were available). Helped us find something we were looking for in Kelowna by providing us with a city map and gave us directions. Owner/manager went out of his way to be helpful!
I would definitely return. Very happy with our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Not much to view from outside, the Howard Johnson's in Kelowna is well located (easy access to downtown, airport, and Big White skiing access highway) and offers clean, spacious amenities in comfortable surroundings. The room was EXCEPTIONALLY clean and the staff was friendly and accommodating.
If you want to spend big $$, there are suite hotels down the road, but for my money HOJOs is a great place to stay. Check-in/out was fast and wait free.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had the great fortune of staying in Kelowna at the Howard Johnson's recently. In fact the proprietor Dave and his staff were extremely friendly, always accommodating, and made my wife and I feel like we had never left home! Comfortable room, recently renovated, fabulous continental breakfasts with waffles made by the proprietor Dave himself, and accomodating my late arrival, request for an extended stay and even a change from a room with 2 queens to one with a king were made with huge smiles, kind words and no problems at all. My wife and I have travelled the world and stayed in many hotels and can truly say Dave and his staff were amongst the friendliest we have ever met. I was a guest when Rick from Penticton was too. He wanted the breakfast room to be opened early at 6:30 am and become very upset and verbally abusive to Dave when he was told it opened at 7:30 which we were all told when we checked in. When Dave tried to reason with him in a calming voice, Rick became even more agitated hurling swear words and racial slurs toward Dave. When Rick refused to leave the office when asked by Dave, Dave had no choice but to order him off the property in a harsher tone as he was left with no other option. Rick clearly could have asked Dave upon check-in for early entrance to the breakfast room buy he obviously did not and was insistent that the 7:30 am start time was "f__king ridiculous" before beginning his verbal assault on Dave. Shame on you Rick from Penticton for coming on here and writing an unfavorable review with only part of the story and most of not true to suit your needs. Dave did nothing wrong to deserve this and you and I and the other guests know it! Would we stay with Dave again? ABSOLUTELY YES!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from Harvey Ave if some light traffic noise bothers you. Rooms are very...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple