“New Diggs with a Flair for Beers” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Mission Tap House
Ranked #129 of 610 Restaurants in Kelowna
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to the Mission Tap House, an easy going destination pub located in the heart of Kelowna's stylish South Pandosy neighbourhood. Our thoughtfully curated selection of craft beer is easily Kelowna's largest and most robust, featuring 20 craft beers on tap, from sessionable, full-flavoured, to seasonal and everything in between.Our menu has been carefully crafted as an exquisite complement to our craft beer offering. We invite you to join our social media communities to stay up to date on all our Grand Opening festivities. We look forward to meeting you! Our passion is craft beer. Join us for a cold one. Mission Tap House - Crafty. In a Good Way.
Kelowna, Canada
“New Diggs with a Flair for Beers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is the previous "Pheasant & Quail" location in the Lower Mission area of Kelowna. They have done a major reno, taking out the liquor store and expanding the interior.
Now, an open plan with polished concrete floors, there are several segmented areas to choose from, including a seasonal patio, billiards area and high top bar seating.
The theme of a "tap house" is re-enforced with a good variety of draught beers plus domestic & import bottle choices.
This was my 3rd visit, but the first for a longer stay including a meal. Service experienced is fair to good, with a friendly greeting to our table with menus in hand. I did notice the beer selection menu to include a colour scale addressing the dynamic of the beers - nice touch.
We ordered a couple of burgers and fries (at the recommendation of my friend). The burger was simple, good but nothing outstanding that would make me order it again. Several other locations in town offer a much better, more substantial burger that warrants repeat visits on that merit alone. The fries were thick cut and again good, not over salted. But yet again, nothing that would be a signature 'you gotta try this' item.
I will mention, that enjoying the daily IPA draught special was tasty, but on special was $6 for a standard sleeve portion. Prices are a tad high reflecting the clientele they area trying to appeal to. Again there are many other establishments that offer good to better service, a few more unique and tasty signature 'standard' menu items, and definitely better "quality draught on special" pricing.
I'm willing and happy to stop in again in the future, but also consider there is Original Joe's just up the street as well.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MissionTapHouse, Manager at The Mission Tap House, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you, Ynotdive, for taking the time to review us. It is great you took the time to mention all of the positive things you liked about us! Please make sure to come back in about a months time when we roll out our new menu. While there will still be many familiar items our regulars have come to love I am sure there will be one of those "you gotta try this" items for you to love too!

Kelowna
“2nd time not so lucky”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Tried Tap House again and server was nice but the nachos made me very super gassy all rest of night and until the next am so 2nd time food was the pits. 1st they could not get a simple steak right on 2 attempts, 3rd time not lucky as was waiting forever at that point so I am giving up with this place as beer prices are insanely high anyways!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nolpreen
MissionTapHouse, Manager at The Mission Tap House, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
I'm sorry , Nolpreen, to hear that you didn't have a good experience this second time around. Our Nachos are fresh hand cut corn tortillas but they do have a fair amount of cheese on them... . I wish that you had talked to us while you were in house so we could have addressed your concerns at the moment. Have you been in on Thursday for Tap Club? All of our beers are on for 5.55 a pint. Perhaps if you give us another chance third time might be a charm
Canada
“Noisy and Poor Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We have been visiting this pub for several months. Once a week and the last one, we decided to go somewhere else because of the high level of noise and the service deteriorated when they got busy. Plus the wine prices are expensive without much selection of local wines. sorry we won't be coming back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RalphCramdonCanada
MissionTapHouse, Manager at The Mission Tap House, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Sorry to hear, RalphCramdonCanada, that you won't be back. We have done much to improve on the noise levels these past months and have a lot of positive feedback. There are some areas that are a bit quieter so if you decide to give us another chance hopefully we can seat you in one of those.
Kelowna
“Best beer selection/value in the Okanagan, and more.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I have been weekly visitors to the Tap House since it opened. As a long time home brewer, I was excited to have a local location for craft beer. They have continued to rotate their 15 taps with good craft beer, both local and a few US imports and always have something we enjoy drinking. Their normal prices are reasonable ($6.50 local canadian craft / $7.50 for out of province imports) for a pint, but we usually make it for beer club on Thursday's where all pints are $5.55. I plan on taking my beer tasting group there later this month on Wednesdays when all pitchers are $3.00 off.
My only slight complaint about the pint is that occasionally one will get a bartender that swirls the beer as it is poured to get a bigger than normal head, and one will then get a not quite full pint. I usually just send it right back to get topped up with no issues.
We have also been very happy with the food and the service. Their servers seen well trained and mostly attentive. They have quickly addressed any issue that was put before them if they could. If not, the management has also quickly responded with at least a comp'ed meal, if they could not solve the issue.
As others have mentioned, it would be nice to see a bit of a difference from the Train Station Menu. It would be nice to have about 1/2 of the menu the same, but each location have it's own set of specialties. However, don't take away those nachos, we live on those.
They have also made some welcome improvements in the overall atmosphere, but still could use better seating (e.g. backs on every bar stool), more focused lighting and a bit more work on table layout, but they are working hard every day at making the place more friendly.
See you there next Thursday.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you,frequent-diner497, for your positive and insightful review. We have had great success with our beer selections and I'm happy to hear you make it out for beer club. At 5.55 a pint it really does give you the opportunity to try any number of our selections. As for the menu , there will be more diversification from The Train Station menu in the future. For now though have you checked out our feature menu? These are different for both locations. And make sure to check out our half price snack and share items on Wednesday where you can enjoy Nachos and 3$ off jugs! See you Thursday
Kelowna, Canada
“I hope it gets better with age.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I didn't mind it. I think the prices for what you get are typical of kelowna. The wine list was too expensive. The beer list is pretty good. Though filling the beer glass and not leaving an inch of head that dissipates by the time it reaches the table would be nice at $7.50 a pint. The food was typical pub fair quality... but with a bit of a fine dining touch. If I get to that end of town for drinks and food again I might go back. Staff were friendly'ish and the place was clean.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank MQubed
MissionTapHouse, Manager at The Mission Tap House, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thanks, MQubed, for taking the time to review us. I know we are getting "better with age" so I'm sure by the time you return we can elevate your experience to that next level!