“Best Vegetarian Thai Food in Kelowna! !!!!!”

Lake Tai Restaurant
Ranked #101 of 660 Restaurants in Kelowna
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

When we come to Kelowna, we always visit our favourite place to eat. It gets better every time we go. To know that the entire menu is vegetarian is so reassuring. No fish stocks, no chicken stocks and no meat. We often get fooled in restaurants that have vegetarian options because they use stocks with an animal base. If you are a lover of vegan/ vegetarian food then this is the place. Try the Coconut Curry Vegetable Hot plate. I highly recommend this restaurant. Can't wait for our next visit.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I was so excited when a friend of mine and I ventured out and gave this place a try. It was fantastic!! The service is outstanding-the owners are there to greet you when you walk inside and seat you right away. The menu is extensive and has photos of the various plates of food they offer. The best part, ALL vegetarian - even vegan! I am used to many Asian restaurants offering 'vegetarian' dishes only to discover they use chicken broth in the stock or fish sauce in the sauces. When I asked about fish sauce, the owner was quick to comment that 'oh no, all veggie, no fish or animal meat in anything!' At that point, she had won me over! We had the spring rolls as an appetizer (small and perfectly fried), shared two dishes (one was the sweet and sour 'meat' and the other a medley of vegetables and faux meat), and side orders of brown rice. The owner took great pleasure in bringing out the hot plate and throwing the vegetables on, while they cooked and bubbled away in front of me. They care about their presentation and the experience, you could tell they were hoping to see that we were content with our meals. The vegetables were all fresh, which is so refreshing when you are used to often seeing wilted colourless pieces scattered over a big bowl of rice or noodles. I would have liked to try the tea next time.
Overall, the bill was $30 for two people which is very reasonable and I would have been happy to pay more for the outstanding service, care and compassion in their cooking, and quality ingredients.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Tucked away between Springfield and Harvey. Excellent food. Excellent, friendly service. The veggie curry with Chinese mushrooms was very good. Melt-in-your mouth spring rolls.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have been going to Lake Tai for many years. It is my favourite restaurant in Kelowna. The service is always excellent. I love being able to open the menu and being able to choose any dish you want because they are all vegetarian. I have enjoyed every dish I have tried. Rose is very helpful in recommending something to you if you are not quite sure what you want. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

With it being Chinese new years I went through reviews of Chinese restaurants in the Okanagan and settled on trying this one because I wanted something more "authentic". This is a very cool place. The setting is industrial but from the table you get a view of the mountains. The other reviews hyped the drinks and the tea here is spectacular. I had the jasmine flower and dried rose tea, it was fit for a queen, and a perfect blend for a late winter's afternoon. The Japanese roll is a light appetizer consisting of a hand-roll filled with shredded lettuce, a thousand-island type dressing and vegetarian pork floss(?) and peanuts. The textures were amazing, crunchy, soft, cold, salty. An innovative dish that set the tone for the rest of the supper. We shared a combination dinner for two. The highlight of this was the delicious assorted. I couldn't stop eating it! It's a mock-fish dish, with seaweed wrapped around tofu. The veggies, and the slices of "fish" that soaked up the delicious sauce was a winning combination. This is a great place to bring kids because they also offer bubble tea, and offer some familiar dishes such as the sweet and sour or honey coated variety. As for this being fake-meat, I am used to these types of restaurants from trips to Buddhist temples and I think Lake Tai does an excellent job. It doesn't really taste like meat, but the texture is spot-on. It's like Yves ground meat, if someone didn't tell you it was vegetarian you probably wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't. But that gamey taste I associate with meat is definitely not present. This place is a great introduction to a lesser known but strong component of Chinese cuisine which is vegetarian cooking that has been perfected over the past 100's of years. Run by honest down-to-earth people who greet you with a warm heart. The menu has pictures and the owner is glad to explain the different components of the dish and to make changes you may want. Definitely worth a try for something different yet comforting because it's steeped in a long monastic tradition.