“new chef is awesome!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Kelowna, Canada
“new chef is awesome!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The flavour of my recent lunch at the Crispy Coyote was matched by a gorgeous presentation -- a salad tower of fresh, local greens (including beet greens! who does that besides my European mama? Fantastic). The new chef has embraced the abundant local produce and is an absolute artist with his presentation. I didn't have wine this time -- it was noon -- but at a previous dinner there, I was introducted to a fabulous and hard-to-get local (Naramata Bench) chardonnay. High marks on every count -- food, ambience, service, wine list. So pleased to have such a great restaurant in my neighbourhood.

Visited July 2012

Kelowna
“Way WAY better!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Since the old chef has gone and new fresh management has made its way in, this place has so improved and I wish the best success for this restaurant in Kettle Valley where I reside. Menu is new and vibrant and prices are better then before and competitive among other restaurants of this caliber. One change I would like to see will be playing big sports events with sound on as that never was allowed before, even Canucks games and even when dead in restaurant. Customer was not always right before and also it would be nice to allow more than 3 satellite radio stations to be listened to. Currently I am frequenting two times a week on average now. I stopped going completely before the change of guard as found former last two GM's with their head in the clouds and oblivious to customer's needs and wants.

• Visited June 2012
Kelowna, Canada
“great neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

get there Saturday or Sunday for brunch it is awsome and priced correctly and Denis makes pasta night fun and tasty! can't wait for summer on the patio.
People get down there and support your local restaurant rather than some chain and if you have suggestion I am pretty sure someone wants to hear them!

• Visited April 2012
Victoria, Canada
“It has potential”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is the latest incarnation in this location [formerly the Kettle Valley Tapas Bar] in the heart of Kettle Valley. The space itself is lovely and a nice size with high ceilings and an intimate little bar area.
Our server was friendly but not quite attentive enough. Plus she was wearing an off-the shoulder top with a plethora of straps showing which we found a bit too casual and inappropriate for a server. We ordered a bottle of wine which was delivered to the table and deposited! She did not open it or pour the first glass. Or any subsequent glass, for that matter! I think that's a first for me. Yes, it was a screw-top, but still.
We were informed they were out of salmon and tenderloin, which makes me immediately suspicious. If you're going to have an item on the menu, you need to have it, unless it's the daily special which you've sold out of.
We both had starters...my friend had clams and mussels and I had crab cakes. Granted the mussels are not fresh from the sea so they were just OK. The broth, however, was delicious. My crab cakes were quite good. For our entrees we had pear and brie stuffed chicken breast and steak and [3] prawns. The chicken was approaching over-cooked and the steak a bit under. The reduction/demi-glaze on the steak was very salty. When I mentioned this to the server she offered to give me a new steak but I just wanted her to pass on my comment to the chef.
Later we spoke with someone else who was at the restaurant at the same time and they were not happy with their meals. One of their party had the chicken also and commented it was dry.
We found the menu to be a bit schizophrenic as there is the pub/lunch menu as well as a more 'fine-dining' part. I've heard the lunch is very good and I think perhaps it would be best if they concentrated on that part and omitted the 'fine-dining' aspect. $23.00 for chicken and $28.00 for steak is not unreasonable, but is too much when you're not happy with the meal.
I would go back and try the lunch menu as I hear the burgers are very good and that would be my advice to anyone who is going to this restaurant.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Sahali
Kelowna
“Lowered expectations”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I am sorry but I live right near this restaurant in Kettle Valley and I was one of the very 1st to dine there when it launched but since going back many many times I have found the menu to be average at best as they charge higher prices for using not fresh but frozen food in many regards. This includes hamburgers being frozen, makes very little sense to me and you can taste it as frozen. Addressing it gets nowhere and in fact I wrote an email about not feeling all that welcome there and etc and no reply back and this was to the main email they set up. They really should not snub people, loyal people, yes? Plus beer prices are way above average there and to get them to play Canucks games with sound on even if on low was like pulling teeth and this was even when we were one of only two tables in there one time. To get me to return??? Wow, not sure as they do not seem to care much and maybe they will just go under if they treat everyone this way. It is a long drive up from the main part of the city, time to figure this out and factor that in!!! But I do give them full credit for a nice looking restaurant and ambiance.

• Visited February 2012