“Izakaya is better in Kelowna?”

Mabui Sushi Izakaya
Ranked #2 of 660 Restaurants in Kelowna
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Having eaten in many of the Vancouver Izakaya restaurants in Vancouver, it seems like Kelowna could give Vancouver a good run for their money in this category! The food here seemed technically better put together and the mix of ingredients was quite amazing, they seem to think out of the box making them more progressive.
Having eaten at Wasabi Izakaya a few days earlier and again after this experience, Mabui appears to the my favorite as they do have a Okinawan twist and I loved the food in Okinawa when I was there a couple of years ago.

To my surprise I had the same waitress at both restaurants. I asked our waitress if the restaurants had the same owner and she told me that the chef at Mabui use to work at Wasabi.
The student has learned from his master and put his own touch on his menu, job well done.
Get here early, it fills up rather quickly!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We eat at Mabui at least once per week. Someone recommended Mabui to us months ago and it quickly became a regular weekly stop for either lunch or dinner. The only time we miss a week is when we are out of town.
The food is delicious and the menu is varied with both traditional and unique items. The ingredients are fresh, I frequently have sashimi and it is always top quality. In particular I love the spicy salmon roll and the ginger beef. The ginger beef is very different than what you get at most regular restaurants.
The staff is friendly and attentive. We and many of the other patrons are on a first name basis with the staff and owners.
It is a fairly small restaurant so i recommend reservations if there are more than 4 and if you want to go at typically busy times.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Being half Japanese, lived in Japan & travel back to Japan - never would have thought to find a Japanese Izakaya in Kelowna let alone find out that all the staff are Japanese. This was a great find & the food was great. They have your traditional sushi/sashimi, dinners & izakaya style food.

Staff was very attentive, ingredients were fresh & price was in line for what you get. They have monthly specials as well. So if you are a regular it offers something different to look forward to coming back.

Will definitely return here on my next trip.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was recently made aware of this restaurant by a Japanese person (usually good to ask a person familiar with the cuisine, I find). We were so pleasantly surprised, although there is some fusion nothing is heavy. Selection is great, taste is awesome, staff is super friendly. Ambience is also very nice. We are so pleased to have found this gem in the heart of Kelowna and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Mabui means soul or spirit in Okinawan. This Japanese restaurant, located in the traditional shopping center that we find all over North America, offers an intimate atmosphere and a great selection of traditional Japanese dishes: sushi, sashimi, tempura, etc... They are very tasty abd beautifully presented. This is my second visit in three years and I have found that the quality of the food has been maintained. The service is corteous, simple and efficient. This is a perfect and delicious alternative for anyone wanting to stop for lunch or dinner when driving North of Kelowna on Highway 97 towards Vernon.