“Love it at the Manteo”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Vancouver, Canada
“Love it at the Manteo”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We checked in at The Manteo on the late afternoon of October 16 and stayed for 2 nights. Great welcome at the front reception desk. We stayed in unit 407, on the 4th floor (top floor), at the end of the hall, overlooking the lake in a king one-bedroom suite. As we entered, the lights were on/dimmed with music playing softly in the background.

My husband and I were very pleased with our suite which had a large bathroom, full kitchen, living room, separate bedroom and balcony overlooking the boardwalk/lakeshore. Nicely furnished with 2 TV's (one with DVD player), a stereo system, dishwasher, and full complement of dishes, pots & pans, etc.

Had a delicious lunch in their restaurant sitting by the window looking out at the lake. Service was efficient and courteous.
Complimentary newspaper, internet and local calls. Concierge was helpful and knowledgeable.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again. By the way, great price for low season -- $175/night. What more could
you ask for!!

• Liked — All the amenities of a one-bedroom suite + lakeside
  • Disliked — Slow elevator
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
aurora
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I was very happy to go to that place with my 2 kids and husband as i heard good things about it.
But the service (exept for the restaurant ) was disappointing.
First for the reception, as soon as I did my check in I was told right away to expect lots of noise on Fridays and Saturdays night as they were hosting wedings... And we no complain would be taken before midnight ,,, What a welcome...
And the room were not very clean, and housekeeping was very rude to us (especially the supervisor of housekeeping who really took us for stupid...) all of that because we put the sigh at the door requesting the room to be done early. I just wanted the room to be done for the afternoon so I could put my son down for his nap...
And this resort is missing some action...like just a small convenience store...
You really need a car to go to that place as they really have no store on the resort.
I"m not sure I would go back. I didn"t feel welcome.
The staff at the restaurant are really great though !

• Liked — the restaurant
  • Disliked — the housekeeping supervisor
3 Thank timelo
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I stayed at the Manteo Resort Waterfront Hotel a few weeks ago in Sept 2007 whilst on holiday in Canada. The Hotel is comfortable enough and the room we were given was adequate although nothing special for the money we paid. We had enjoyed a meal in the restaurant the night we arrived and so decided to book another table for out second and last night in the hotel. When we came down for dinner, we were informed that there were no tables for 2 left and would we mind eating in the bar area. We were somewhat surprised but agreed to this until we were shown through and saw that there were in fact no less than 10 tables for 2 set but with no-one at them. When we questioned this and said we did not want to eat in the bar area, the young waitress informed us we could not sit at these for health and safety reasons ?? and only after our persistance were we given a table. We were left highly embarassed and made to feel very uncomfortable at the Manteo and when after we sat for 1.5 hours having our meal and no-one else came to sit at the other tables we re-approached the waitress to ask why she did not automatically provide us with the table we had booked. We left feeling that as we were 2 men this was perhaps a problem for the Manteo as we could not think of any other reason. No manager was on duty that night and none in the morning when we asked again on check-out. This experience left us with a bad taste for the Manteo and I would not recommend this hotel to any other male only parties in case they experience the same discourtesy.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Iain____Mitchell
Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2007

I was here for a 2 night stay with my partner - it's not the usual property I stay at in Kelowna since I'm usually here for business. This was a pleasure trip so we thought we'd try this one out.

Pros:
- Nice rooms - beds are wonderful here
- Smoke free property
- Complimentary wireless internet (poor connection though! Bring a hard wire if you want it to be reliable!)
- Lovely apple scented toiletries
- Nice pools
- Good location

Cons:
- Pricey - I've stayed in much nicer properties for the same amount
- Service so-so at the check-in/out desk - not as friendly as most, not the usual "thank you for staying with us/hope to see you again" on departure
- Private beach is very small
- Limited surface parking
- The biggest thing that we noticed was that the property only has a single elevator! Incredibly slow, and often there were people waiting since there was just the one. Stairs were not very convenient.

Overall I loved the room and amenities, but the cons were fairly significant for the price. Our room was on the 4th floor but with a limited view. Food is decent, but not amazing. I think it's an okay hotel, but not amazing given the rates.

• Liked — Apple toiletries, bedding
  • Disliked — Elevators, front desk, unreliable internet
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank KatieCanada
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Found Manteo by accident looking for place to stay in Kelowna. Planned on staying 2 nights, just checking out after 7 nights!

Manteo is lovely - right on Lake Okanagan, facing West. There is a very small private beach to sit on or watch the kids make sandcastles, or super public beaches are just a short walk away. Gyro Beach is fantastic - canoe/"toy" rentals, playground, picnic tables, great trees for shade, wide beach.

The boardwalk fronting Manteo connects it to the Hotel Eldorado to the south and Lakeshore Inn to the north (recently acquired by Manteo, will become villas).

Accommodations at Manteo are excellent, but expensive in high season. We had three different rooms (kept needing to move us); I paid $245/night for a hotel room with 2 queen beds facing the parking lot and the same for a room with 1 King facing the water.

I actually liked the queen bed rooms better. The King was huge - way too much space for just a bed, small sitting area and desk/armoire. Bathroom vanity was smaller, less closet space. Waterfront view was lovely, though.

The queen bed rooms are also spacious and beautifully appointed. There's a large entryway with ceramic tile, lots of space to dump your bags, etc. A small fridge, coffeemaker, etc. The vanity and sink area is large, with drawers and cupboards for toiletries - lots of space for all our sundries, which was nice - things weren't strewn all over the place. The separate toilet/tub is small - but the bathtub is very deep, and the showerhead was excellent.

The beds are VERY comfortable - pillowtop with pads, great fluffy duvets, lots of great pillows. 2 resort-style bathrobes in each room, nice toiletries.

The Manteo hotel is shaped like a wide horseshoe, with the lobby basically in the middle. Half the rooms face the mountains (overlooking the parking lot and street) and half face Lake Okanagan.

Each room has a balcony. The ones towards the ends of the building are larger - the last one on the south end has its own patio table with umbrella and overlooks the "quiet" pool! Not sure if it costs more, but that would be neat. The balconies in the center (at least those on the "mountain view" side) are small. Ask when booking if it matters to you. Also, the balconies on that side that are closer to the pool get nice morning sun; the ones on the other end don't. Obviously, those on the waterfront get no morning sun but great sunsets!

I actually didn't mind staying on the parking lot side - it was quiet, and I liked the morning sun.

The hotel itself is also very quiet at night, except on weekends if there is a wedding. We ended our stay in room #205, almost at the end of the horseshoe (closer to the pool) and the music from the wedding in the ballroom below us pounded until midnight. There was also a wedding the night we arrived (room #225), but we were further away from it and didn't hear a thing. Also, when you're on floor 2 or 3 you can hear people walking around above you. Not a problem on the top floor (#4).

There are also 1 bedroom suites with full kitchens - 1 King and a sofabed - for about $60 more. If the bed configurations work for you, this is a great option so you're not shelling out for the hotel restaurant/room service all the time.

They have a great coin laundry room by the elevators on the second floor, if that is a necessity.

If you need a lot of space, the Manteo offers beautiful 2 and 3 bedroom villas. They all have lovely patios overlooking the lake or an inner green space with a playground, and look lovely. The lakefront 2 bedroom units go for $600/night in summer, which seems ludicrous to me, but they all looked full so maybe it is a good deal.

There are 4 pools here. All are delightfully warm, although the indoor pool is the warmest. There is a regular outdoor pool with hot tub, the indoor pool with another hot tub, a small kids wading pool with a waterpark (spraying palm trees, etc) and a great (but not large) pool with a cool waterslide and 2 hot tubs. There is a lifeguard at that pool, supposedly only to monitor the waterslide but I'm sure if a kid at the other end of the pool was in trouble they'd jump in and help!

Nice lounge chairs, some with umbrellas, around the waterslide pool, but not enough of them.

Room service will bring food to the pool (in styrofoam containers) and there is a poolside stand with hot dogs, hamburgers, pop, etc).

There are great change rooms and bathrooms and saunas attached to the indoor pool. Pool towel exchange available for no charge. Good exercise room by pools.

Watersports (boat, kayak, tube rentals, etc) and kids activities are booked through the Vacation Station located lakefront by the quiet pool. They try hard, but sometimes lack organization. The resort offers kids' programs in the summer, booked through Vacation Station... for $20 a day, my 4 year old spent 3 hours every afternoon making crafts, playing, swimming, etc. We tried to get my son into the scuba classes all week, but they forgot to book him in for it and then the instructor went AWOL for the rest of the week. They were very apologetic about their error, however, and comped me for some other activities for the kids.

That was a recurring theme here - anytime they messed up, they went out of their way to make it up to me.

Each night (at least in the summer), they show 3 free movies in their in-house theater - just 20 lounge chairs in a room with a big screen and surround sound, but still pretty cool. Room service will bring you a tub of microwave popcorn for $5, or make your own if you have a kitchen.

The Wild Apple restaurant (and room service) has fantastic food, but it's expensive (avg $25/entree, $9 for a dessert). Lunchtime sandwiches are around $13, breakfast $10-$15. Kids' breakfast $6, chicken fingers and fries $10. They were accommodating, though - my 2 year old was stick of typical kids' menu fare, so they made her a filet of salmon with rice and veggies for $10.

Complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby daily. Green apples available all day long at the front desk.

There were some things that needed a bit of work, here. As mentioned, the Vacation Station needed to get its act together sometimes - if booking activities, just be sure to communicate clearly and maybe double-check your bookings. They offer a "please clean our room early" door hanger - every day I put it out, hoping our room would be clean before my little kids napped at 2pm. Every day, it still wasn't done and some days I went without service! The patio furniture is just green resin - for the rate they charge, it ought to be more upscale. But on the whole, staff members go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and carefree.

This is a great place for kids - they can swim, play on the beach, do activities (geared mostly for 4-12 year olds), cavort in the playground, watch movies, etc. My 2 year old was a bit young for the planned activities, and my 13-year old didn't get much out of the jewelry making or arts classes - geared for younger kids. But she spent most of her time reading and sketching by the pool, anyway. Older kids would probably get a kick out of the watersports available on the lake.

They also have a lovely "library" with sofas, fireplace for lounging on quiet/rainy days, an upstairs lounge area with pool table, fireplace, etc for hanging out.

The area surrounding Manteo is really neat - like a quaint seaside village - with all the amenities, great little restaurants, etc. Well-respected hospital very close by.

I highly recommend Manteo Resort, especially if your kids are 4 years old and up so you can let them do some of the activities while you relax by the pool!

• Liked — great for kids, pool, lakefront
  • Disliked — price!
4 Thank markshoney
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We just arrived home from staying at the Manteo Resort for 5 days. We stayed in a Premium King Suite facing the Mountainside, but were lucky, because we still have a view of the beautiful lake. The weather was gorgeous and the service of all the staff was wonderful. The restaurant did not have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on their children's menu (our son is 5), but happily made them for our son. Another time when I was on hold for room service, one of the staff actually came to our room because the phone had disconnected and I didn't know. He came to take our order in person and to tell us that we had disconnected!

The room was very roomy for the 3 of us and we all slept in the king bed, although my husband could've pulled out the sofa bed. Having 2 televisions is also really great! The Kids Activities are wonderful. For $20, you can leave your little ones at the Kidz Club for 3 hours of fun. Our son did crafts, went on a treasure hunt, made a crown and went swimming (supervised by 3 staff members) and had ice cream.

The outdoor pool area isn't huge, but there was always room to sit and our son LOVED the waterslide. Note: if your child(ren) need pdf's; bring them with you. They only rent them if you rent a boat or paddle boat. The area that the kids get dumped in after they get off the slide is 5 feet deep. I had to catch our son every time, which was fine, but with a life vest, he could have gone on the slide by himself. The small Cafe/Bar by the pool makes delicious hot dogs and hamburgers!

The hotel gives everyone a wristband and they are really diligent in not allowing non-guests in the pool area, so you don't get a ton of guests bringing "friends" with them.

Next year, we will rent a car, as you really need one to get around.

All in all; great place for families...we're going back again next year. Our friends had a Villa; gorgeous!!!

• Liked — Friendly staff, coffee in the mornings in the lobby; fresh apples all the time
  • Disliked — Need a car to get anywhere - most places are about 15 minutes walk to get stuff.
1 Thank Bikinigirl2006
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2007

The view of Okanagon Lake from this property will take your breath away. I was here at a business function with a group, and unfortunately couldn't really take advantage of the leisure aspect of this resort. But I stayed at one of the waterfront villas. I have never experienced a more spectacular view. The beauty of Kelowna is that it is still very small, but still a real city with great dining and things to do. If you are coming from a big urban center you will immediately feel the quiet and serenity of the place - you can hear the animals and that's it!
The villas were very large, well-appointed, and well-designed. It pays to have the ones closest to the water - much nicer views. The gym is good. The dining room is amazing - great food, good value for $$, and great service. I was constantly amazed with the good service at the front desk, in the dining room, etc. They went completely out of their way to make our stay and business function memorable. Make sure to take a trip to Mission Hill Winery - OUT of THIS WORLD! The best winery I have been to in the world....food, service in their dining area was exceptional and not too expensive. If you go, go around dusk to enjoy the sun set and the fabulous views and grounds of the winery.

• Liked — setting, food in dining room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank OJonVacation
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelowna
Central City
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#5 of 34 in Kelowna
The Cove Lakeside Resort
#1 of 5 in West Kelowna

Been to Manteo Resort - Waterfront Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!