“AWFUL. TERRIBLE VALUE. NEVER RETURN HERE”

Lake Okanagan Resort
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Las Vegas, Nevada
“AWFUL. TERRIBLE VALUE. NEVER RETURN HERE”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

AWFUL. TERRIBLE VALUE. NEVER RETURN HERE. This place is also a time-share and private owners vacation property, so a 'resort/hotel guest' is mixed in with all sorts of 'guests' on the property. As others have said, this place is OLD OLD OLD, wooden framed chalets and rooms that haven't been updated since the 80's. ***NO AIR CONDITIONING***. Completely inconsistent from Chalet to Chalet and room to room. The first chalet we stayed in (at $500 a night) was simply uninhabitable. FiLTHY FILTHY FILTHY, hairs all over the bathroom floor, no shower curtain, no bathroom amenities, with the worst concrete slab-hard-bed and dirty bed covers, hard pillows, no lighting and an old TV, a ghetto blaster as a stereo and stained carpets, walls with holes in them. The alarm clocks were all flashing 1200 as well as the stove. Clearly, there is absolutely ZERO care for maintenance and there are NO standards for comfort whatsoever. When I complained, the 'guest services manager' immediately offered to discount the room until I exclaimed that we would not be staying in that room or on their property if they didn't move us - I didn't care if it was free. The second chalet they moved us to was marginally better, still with NO central AC, no TV's in the rooms, a 'bunk bed' as the 2nd bedroom (for adults)...etc etc.... Because the Chalets are all wooden construction, you can hear the people above and below like they are in the room beside you. Even the lightest footsteps make the floors creak and wake everyone up throughout the night. The restaurants were also AWFUL. Breakfast was overpriced and NEVER came out prepared properly. Lunch was no better and we didn't dare stay for dinner. The golf course is basically a pitch and putt. The ONLY positive thing was the warf (privately run) that had boats, water skis/wake boards etc and sea-doos for rental. STAY AWAYS FROM THIS PLACE (calling it a resort is an insult to other resorts) - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Room Tip: you can NOT get a good room here - stay away. Don't even try.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank james5stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Vancouver
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We accidently booked this resort thinking it was another resort in Kelowna. Once we realized our mistake we had a look at the reviews of other travelers. We were upset with our mistake given the numerous negative reviews. We called to cancel our reservations but were told that we would forfeit our first night's fee. We were not willing to throw away $250.00 so we thought how bad could it be and decided to make the best of it.

As mentioned by other travelers, you need to drive a long narrow road that takes about 20 minutes from Hwy 97, to get there, if you take it slowly it's not really an issue, but having said that I would not want to drive the road at night.

Once we arrived we were offered a room in the 200 block of apartments, having read the reviews we asked if there was anything else available. The front desk help was accomodating and found us a room in the 500 block. Thinking we had dodged a bullet we happily set off to find the room. The apartment blocks were not very well marked and it took us some time to find the room. Once we found the room, our kids ages 7 and 9 ran ahead of us and came back screaming after seeing a bat on the wall. We thought the other reviewer was making it up, but it turns out the wasn't. Being that we were on the top floor we decided to go back down and take the elevator. The elevator was incredibly dirty and the window was smashed in. So far not a great start, but hoping the room would be at least tolerable, we carried on.

Once we arrived at the room the first thing we noticed was a dead fly on the floor by the door, the further we got into the room the more things we saw that was not up to what one would expect from a hotel charging $250.00 per night. The carpet was not vacuumed, there was little bits of ?? on the floor, (it appeared that they used a carpet sweeper), the cushions on the sofabed were so incredibly stained that I wouldn't dare sit on them and would never sleep on it. Even my children were horrified and started to cry, we can't stay here!!

We returned to the front desk and told them we were incredibly unhappy and could not possibly stay in that room. We offered to pay more to stay at the new villas on the property. The front desk staff were wonderful and were able to accomodate our request but only for one night. We happily accepted and although we did not want to have to move hotels after one night it was the best option available.

The new villa's were AMAZING! So CLEAN, spacious and beautifully decorated, more what you would expect for $250.00 per night.

After settling in, we set out to the pool area. It could be great, but it too has seen better days and I questioned the cleanliness of the water given the state of the rooms in the older part of the hotel. The grounds were littered, the pool deck cracking, and not well maintained. When we arrived at the pool the following morning it was clear that it had not been swept and there was old dried leaves and little bits of debris everywhere making we wonder when the last time someone swept it was.

On Thursday night, they provided a very entertaining evening with Jeff running a "Minute to Win it" type themed evening for the whole family. Thank you to the management and staff for this truely entertaining evening. It was the highlight of our stay.

Luckily the next morning the front desk staff was able to find us another room in the new villas so that we could stay at the resort for two nights as planned.

I felt so sorry for the front desk staff, while we were there they had to deal with numerous complaints both in person and by phone. I have to say that they did the best they could considering the state of the resort. Based on my limited exposure with the front desk staff they appear professional and courteous given the difficult situation they are in.

The hotel has the potential to be a really nice relaxing place to go, but they need to invest in the hotel and hire enough people to properly maintain the hotel and the grounds.

The way it stands, you couldn't pay me to stay in the older part of the hotel. It'sdefinitely not worth the money.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the older part of the hotel. My following ratings are based on the old part of th...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawnygirl123
Calgary
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Wow! Visited the resort for a friends wedding. Her area where she was supposed to get married was under construction and she was in tears, the staff yelled at her mother. We had to clean our own rooms. There was cereal found in the pull out bed, the king felt like sleeping on cardboard. The spiders ran the place. The shower was most likely installed in 1920 and was never cleaned and you would have had more water pressure from standing under a sprinkler.
A group of us had to ask where the wedding was taking place and no one in the office or restaurants knew where it was to be held. Finally I got ahold of a wedding party member who told me it was at the beach only to find out that its the walk from hell! it's a 90degree angle for about 200 feet. No easy path, no stairs and when we got to the office they told us they were too busy to shuttle us......yes even if we were in heels. We were instructed to walk a dirty goat trail down to the beach, and when we got there were all sweaty and had to wash our feet off in the water. The area where they said their vows was pretty, and this is the only thing that got them a point here! The beach had an old barge with graffiti on the side (very pleasing to the eye! - ya right). The food was mediocure, and the later at night you ordered food the worse it got along with the service.......I had to ask 3 times for dressing for my salad and was told "well it has cheese". Room service didnt' even show up during our stay - which explains why it's so dirty. This place has alot of potential, but is old, extremely over priced and riddled with teenage workers that all have a I dont' give a S*** mentality, and the resort reflects it everywhere.
Was happy to see my friend married, but would never return to this dump.

Room Tip: stay anywhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank nofilterAirdrie
DOS001, Director of Sales at Lake Okanagan Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Good Morning,

In response to your comments, I would like to address a few of them, that I have first hand knowledge about.

I personally as well as other managers from our hotel team have worked with your bride for the past several months. We were all present on Sat the day of her and another wedding, to ensure the most successful outcome to their special day.

At no point was the brides mother yelled at - that is absolutely incorrect, our guests are treated with respect, as they all should be. I personally met with the bride, her mother and another friend from Vancouver, on Friday afternoon to work through concerns and questions. I left that meeting with a happy bride, mother and friend.

With respect to your comment about the construction that is true, we are having construction at the resort (and marina) to make the resort better for our guests. What you failed to mention or perhaps did not know is that, her patio area was fitted with brand new carpet that morning, our grounds team worked hard on getting an array of beautiful pots of flowers - in the brides colors - to decorate the patio.

With regard to the shuttling, we had the bellman in a 15 pax van, our General Manager, our Assistant General Manager, our Events and Conference Manager and myself, all going through the resort property picking people up, taking them down to the beach and returning them. Just so you know, when the contracts are completed with the direct parties involved, the Resort is responsible for the transporation of the wedding party (and whom them deem - including parents) and people with mobility issues. We were all on-site that day to assist both weddings at the resort. There is also parking within a short flat walk to the wedding site.

We all worked very hard to ensure both were weddings a success.

Best Regards,

Barb Douglas
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Just checked in last night to a room that I had to clean the kitchen when we arrived, The fridge had not been cleaned, there were crumbs and pieces of food, rings of dark liquids, the drawers were disgusting too. The overhead fan for the stovetop was also covered in crumbs and grease. The carpet had plops of white yogurt or ?. Cupboards were full of crumbs, and there was lipstick on several glasses. Then at 11:30 pm I had to call the desk to get sheets for the sofa bed as I was just going to put the kids to sleep, and there was no bedding. 45 minutes later only 1 sheet arrived, the person was very apologetic, so far my vacation here is off to a very poor start.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Barbie6348
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This resort featured great photos online but very disappointed in actual resort. Most facilities old and not as nice as photos indicated ... marina in total disarray and under construction. Rooms were clean but very dated and had mice in kitchen. Trip from main highway about 15km on winding road and took 25 minutes. Scenery nice but felt a tad isolated. This may have been a great resort years ago but not today. Looks like new owners trying to improve property but years away. Many better alternatives in area. We were disappointed.

Room Tip: Insist on newer building, not the old Terrace units
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Fischstix
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2011

TERRIBLE. Website decieving! Looking at the website you would think that this is a nice facility - WRONG. Just a nightmare - 25 minute drive from anywhere along a long very windy road where a 4x4 would be an asset. The rooms were horrible - filthy and old. However the bats hanging from the doorframe were kind of cool. Paid $260 for a crap room - pools were too small and very difficult to get to. They offer a $20 each swim in the lake with an old horse? WTF? The restuarant was very dissappointing. Service took forever and food was terrible and over-priced. The restuarant offered a total of 4 entrees which were all tried with my group - just gross. They have (for a price) activities all day long - however all activities were overpriced and not worth even close to what they offered. Lots of 20 some year olds puking and partying by the pool - lovely. No security to deal with the parties. If you have ever seen the movie dirty dancing - this is the type of facility they are trying to run with subpar facilities, and minimum wage 14 year old staff that are not helpful or knowledgeable at all. Took 3 phone calls to find the "resort" as the location is terrible. If you want to enjoy the Okanagan this is not the place to do it. You would get a nicer hotel room for $25 a night. You would get better food at McDonalds for ALOT less $$. We did have a room with AC - however you would have better AC standing outside in the wind. Pools are not heated?? If you have any type of disability the amount of stairs to go to and from anything is a problem.

Room Tip: Do not stay here - any other hotel in the area would be better
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank unknown03
DOS001, Director of Sales at Lake Okanagan Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Good Morning,

I have been re-reading your review for 2 days now, wondering how to reply to it.

First of all, I am sorry you did not have a good stay - it seems nothing went right for you.

The resort is on 300 acres on the West side of Okanagan Lake - a 20 min drive from downtown Kelowna. Lake Okanagan Resort is a unique destination resort - away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The resort offers many amenities and activities - some have a cost - many don't. Unlike any other intown hotel - we have on-site - a 9 hole golf course, tennis courts, a sports court, general store, in the summer 5 food and beverage outlets and we are currently building the Okanagan's newest marina. Once here, we hope you relax and enjoy the tranquility the resort has to offer.

Again, I am sorry the stay was not to your expectations. I did not hear of your concern at the time of your stay, but welcome input from our guests. Like anywhere, we can't fix an issue, it if we don't know it exists.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Barb Douglas
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I have a house on Lake Okanagan, and usually only fill the boat with gas at this resort. I found myself this year in the predicament of letting other people use my house, before I knew I'd be needing it myself. So...I booked a chalet/condo unit for 4 adults. The cost was $511.00/night. The condo had 2 bedrooms...large master with large ensuite, and a good size second bedroom. The bed in the master felt fine. Our friends had that room, and they slept fine. The mattress in the 2nd bedroom felt like we were sleeping on a sheet of plywood. It was that hard! We thought it was a boxspring at first, but checked, and it was definitely a mattress. For the price ... I think they could have sprung for a better mattress for comfort of any guests they might have. Each bedroom had a TV.

These condos are owned by people. We were in 340, and it was up for sale. It was quite large, with full kitchen, and a 2nd 3 piece bathroom that had shower only. It had a small washer and dryer. It was cleaned and served our needs. It also had a private covered deck area with B.B.Q.

The people working on the resort were very friendly and helpful...driving us down to the water (it's a big hill) to view it the first evening, then waiting so he could drive us back up the hill once we were done viewing. The fellows shift had ended...he was doing this for us on his personal time. That was really nice of him...we tipped him well. Next day I wanted to make a peanut sauce ... The kitchen supplied me with all the spices, lemon, peanut butter, soya sauce ... everything I needed to make it. Can't complain there ... so I guess, yes, I would recommend it to people to stay. The area, and the lake are truly beautiful. The lake warms up 3rd wk of July (enough for me to get into) until 3rd week of August and sometimes into September.

The only draw back to this resort is that it is about 20 minutes to amenities down a very windy narrow road. Watch for on coming traffic. People more familiar with this road are always driving faster than the speed limit, and crossing over the line coming around corner...which there are alot of, hence the description it is a 'windy road'. :-)

Another important consideration ... There is NO AIR CONDITIONING in OLDER UNITS. We were staying in an older unit, that may have been built in the 60's or 70's. The temperature was only 20C/70F and cooled off at night while we were staying here July 11 & 12th. But if you were staying here later in July and early August, when the temperatures get to 35C - 40C/95F - 104F and higher, you'd be dying of heat in this condo. You'd want to make sure you were in one of the newer buildings built in 2006/2007 that would definitely have the A/C. It gets very hot in the Okanagan Valley.

It is a 45 minute drive to the city of Kelowna, across the bridge (East side of the bridge). On Wednesday & Saturday mornings from about 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. there is a farmer's market, that is excellent. It is on Dilworth, 1 block East of Harvey Avenue (Hwy 97); across from the Ochard Park Mall.

Mission Hill Winery & several smaller wineries are all located on the West side of the bridge...so same side as the Okanagan resort. Bring your cheese and crackers, and spend an afternoon wining tasting. BUT...have a designated driver, because B.C. has extremely strict drinking and driving laws implemented last year... .05 or lower ... it can be left to the discretion of the police officer. Basically, one can not go to a restaurant and even have one drink with a meal and they are over the limit. So...designated drivers are important in this province...there is zero tolerance.

Also, a trip to the Kettle Valley Trestles is worth a hike or bike ride. If you didn't bring your bikes, that's okay. You can now rent bikes at the top for $69 for 3 or 4 hrs. It is 12 km from one end to the other end ... you go over 14 trestles. It's a beautiful bike ride and takes approx. 1 hr, one way. You go through a couple of old train tunnels. A fire in 2003 burned down 13 of the trestles. In 2005 reconstruction began. People in the area, and annual visitors donated money, raising millions, which the government matched. Many people also volunteered their time to help rebuild the trestles, thus keeping the cost to a minimum. Had people not donated money or volunteered their help to rebuild these magnificent trestles, they would not have been rebuilt. I remember watching two young fellows carrying a 20' long railway tie a mile or two to where it was being used, because equipment couldn't get that far yet. Kudos to all those volunteers! It's beautiful, so if you have the time, take the time to go up and see them.

Enjoy your summer!