“A Great Place!”

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
thunder bay ont.
“A Great Place!”
Reviewed November 30, 2006

when in kelowna and need a friendly place to stay , be sure try out the royal anne.

the hotel is dependable , reliable and centrally located.

hotel staff and mangement are about as friendly as i`ve encountered...everyone associated with the hotel was always in good spirits and accomodating to guests in anyway they could

its evident this hotel is reinvesting $$ in itself , as everytime i arrive , a little something more has been added or updated

very well run!....you will not be disappointed

from thunder bay , ont.

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank zanetter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Squamish
Reviewed October 31, 2006

This was my first trip to Kelowna and found the location of the hotel fantastic. Close to everything. The staff were very friendly right from check in, and provided excellent directions to the meeting I was attending. The room I stayed in was very comfortable, and very clean. I was there on a busy weekend so the streets were busy but I still found the room quiet to sleep. having the complimentary breakfast on site was very handy and the daily variety was good. The pub was lots of fun and the cold beer & wine store had a great selection. Good sushi restaurant right across the street. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SquamishAdventurer
airdrie
Reviewed August 10, 2006

Over the years i have stayed at the Royal Anne because of it's AMAZING location - just one block away from the waterfront and nestled between funky restaurants, eclectic shops and new age book stores.
I noticed some big improvements aesthically to the hotel. Infact, everytime i come, something has been upgraded or renovated. This time I stayed on the 4th floor where it has undergone renovations bringing back the appeal of yesteryear in the decor. We had a junior executive suite which was HUGE - certainly big enough for us and our 3 kids and of course the fridge always comes in handy.
The complimentary continental breakfast runs until 10am so that was useful as we got organized for the day.
The thing about Kelowna is that you absolutely do not want to be indoors during the day...you must take in the beach, the vineyards, etc and when you come 'home' to your hotel room you want to be able to flop on a comfy bed (awesome pillows by the way),spontaneously go for a late night pita on the waterfront or grab a midnight ice cream cone.
This is why i choose the Royal Anne...it is convenient, clean, the staff is freindly - they really look like they are enjoying themselves, and how can you beat this location?

• Liked — freindly staff and location
  • Disliked — no in room movies
  • Tips/Secrets — the 4th and 5th floors have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank walterworks
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I've been staying at the Royal Anne once or twice every summer for about ten years. The hotel is conveniently located in the middle of Kelowna’s central business district. At one time the Royal Anne may have been one of the city’s best hotels. It’s a bit run-down now, but I have found it clean and comfortable and have never had any complaints about the rooms or service.

The only problem is that in recent years, the area around the hotel has been getting noisier and noisier. Two or three years ago a restaurant with a large sidewalk patio opened right across the street from the hotel. The night I stayed on that side of the hotel, the noise from the restaurant did not die down until about 2 a.m.

The other side of the hotel has noise problems too. It faces a lane, a parking lot and the back door of an Irish pub. On one recent occasion when I was staying at the hotel, the door of the pub was propped open at about 11 p.m. and for the next few hours, music blared into the parking lot while small groups of inebriated patrons stood around shouting and carrying on loud conversations.

In short, I stayed at the Royal Anne regularly for years because I thought it was comfortable and the location was convenient. But I’ve had it with the noise and I'm now looking for a hotel in a quieter part of town.

Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brampton, Ontario
Reviewed April 29, 2006

I came to Kelowna on business, and I would have stayed at the Grand Okanagan had it not been fully booked. So I looked around and found the Royal Anne close by, not priced out of site and offering an executive suite.

Check in was smoooth, professional and they seemed genuinely happy to see me. The room was clean and the view was pretty good. I liked the many pictures on the walls of the old days around Kelowna. The suite was a bit underwhelming however, mainly because of the spartan nature of it all. This is truly a three star hotel, with limited services.

I have to agree with one of the earlier reviews: the breakfast offering was extremely poor, so much so that I couldn't even find one thing that interested me. Very cheaply done with not much selection, and to boot, the coffee was sub-par.

I would only return if they could offer a better breakfast or just not offer it at all in exchange for a better rate. This hotel is definitely in the highway motel class.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank chassocs
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 24, 2005

We had a night in the Royal Anne. I saw the reviews on here and thought that it can't be all that bad. I was personally impressed that the Manager of the hotel rebutted the somewhat negative comments. So we thought,"its only 1 night, lets try it".

The night in the hotel was fine..They gave us a room on the upper floor with a partial view of the lake. Upon check in, the service could not have been any better. Very friendly, professional and welcoming. The hotel its self is showing its age in the lobby, but that was not a big deal for us. The room was clean and fresh, but the bathroom was refreshed with a beige colour paint. At first glance it looked fine, but deeper look you realise that they tried to refresh the bathroom in a somewhat cheap way. But again, how much time do you spend in the bathroom.

Breakfast was not very good. Albeit a contintental breakfast, I have had much better. if you can get a rate without breakfast included, try for that. if not, I would not count on a healthy breakfast before you start your day at the hotel. They had hardboiled eggs, pastry, bread for toast, coffee, tea, some fruit and not so tasty juices.

Suggestion to the hotel would be to remove the breakfast if that is all that is on offer and lower the price a little more. When I hear continental breakfast, I do not expect bacon, eggs, pancakes...but would like to see some nice yogourts, breads (brown or white), nice juice would be good too.

Given the price we paid (managers special), the location and ease of getting there, it was a good solid little hotel for our needs for 1 night. Its clean, close to restaurants and the lake. But it was still an average hotel. I did not see enough things that I would call the hotel above average or excellent..

4 Thank Amdamguy
Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Anne at the end of Feb 05. Our party of 4 had 2 rooms between us. When booking I made the error of judging the quality of the hotel partially by its moderately expensive price, not expecting vast luxury, but expecting a modern clean room with a decent breakfast thrown in.

The hotel has a great location and looks great from the outside as it does in the photos, but once inside, the initial good impressions gives way to a shabby and poorly maintained interior.

The desk clark/duty manager was eating his dinner sat on a chair in front of the reception desk!

After we disturbed his dinner, he gave us some 'free beer' vouchers to an Irish pub that was not even open during our one night stay. He failed to mention this, prehaps important point.

The rooms were OK but again, overdue for renovation and poorly cleaned. (old soap left in bathroom, very old and worn carpets and for example.)

The write up of this place states that it has been recently rennovated but it is difficult to see where they spent the money.

The worst thing about this hotel was the breakfast included in the room price.

The breakfast room is a run down and filthy, bland room with a few ancient tables/desks and chairs. The 'breakfast buffet' consisted of a table containing;
-a loaf of long life shop baught bread (still in it's plastic bag),
-some plastic individual portion containers of jam and margarine,
-a box with PLASTIC knives and forks,
-PAPER plates,
-some boxes of cereal
-a plate of 3 or 4 pastries that looked as though they had been sitting there for a few days (based on their apperance, to risk eating them would have been foolish)
-a carton of rancid unrefridgerated milk (presented in its original carton, and there were lumps in it!)

When we pointed out to a member of staff who was walking through the room, that the milk had gone off, they seemed totaly unphased, as though it was nothing out of the ordinary.

For the 100 CAD per night per room that we paid this was terrible value for money in comparrison to the other hotels in the area at this time of year.

I don't believe that anybody working in this hotel would have been happy to eat the breakfast themselves. Up untill this we were thinking that the hotel was a bit run down but basicaly OK, so why do they bother with breakfast? Purely to be able to advertise that it's included? To ensure your customers never return?

How much effort does it take to wash up a few ceramic plates and metal knives, take the bread out of it's bag, put the milk in a jug and make sure there are no lumps in it?

We will be returning to Kelowna next year and will not be staying at the Royal Anne.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank steve_randomno
, Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2005
As manager of the Classic Royal Anne Hotel in the HEART of downtown Kelowna, I feel an obligation to respond to the above comments.
Unfortunately, comments posted on TripAdvisor are open to misleading information and not necessarily factual. We had only one guest from the UK stay with us during the noted time period, and as we are a smaller facility with long-term staff, it was not difficult to do the necessary statistical research. Several of the comments are definitely not factual & I wish to state the following:
-The interior of the hotel is clean, modern in traditional décor, with heritage artwork.
-We have not employed a male desk clerk at this hotel since 2002.
-Our Irish pub was open that evening until 1:30am with entertainment.
-The guest room that this party stayed in was totally renovated in the summer of 2004—new paint, carpet, beds, bedding, draperies, artwork.
-The complimentary continental breakfast includes in-house baked fresh muffins, danish or bagels, fresh fruit, prunes, hardboiled eggs, white & multi-grain bread(kept in plastic bags as required by Food Safe regulations), choice of three juices, coffee, de-cafinated coffee, & tea.
We do not have boxes of cereal or milk available. The plastic cutlery is displayed in wicker baskets lined with linen napkins.
-The rate that this guest paid was $79/night not $100.
There was no guest comment card completed, no notes of a complaint in the daily log journal, & no correspondence subsequently received.
Our guest comment cards & customer feedback show a very high rate of complete customer satisfaction and we are proud to have earned the status of Canada Select 3.5 Stars (the highest rating for a property with our services). We strive to exceed our customer’s expectations.
When I put all of this data together it seems to me that it is entirely posible that, due to the length of time between the guest’s stay & the date of this posting, the guest may have confused this hotel with another during their stay some six months previous. I encourage them to revisit us for an enjoyable stay in the beautiful Okanagan.