“Good little hotel...but I wouldn't stay for breakfast”

The Royal Anne Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good little hotel...but I wouldn't stay for breakfast”
Reviewed October 24, 2005

We had a night in the Royal Anne. I saw the reviews on here and thought that it can't be all that bad. I was personally impressed that the Manager of the hotel rebutted the somewhat negative comments. So we thought,"its only 1 night, lets try it".

The night in the hotel was fine..They gave us a room on the upper floor with a partial view of the lake. Upon check in, the service could not have been any better. Very friendly, professional and welcoming. The hotel its self is showing its age in the lobby, but that was not a big deal for us. The room was clean and fresh, but the bathroom was refreshed with a beige colour paint. At first glance it looked fine, but deeper look you realise that they tried to refresh the bathroom in a somewhat cheap way. But again, how much time do you spend in the bathroom.

Breakfast was not very good. Albeit a contintental breakfast, I have had much better. if you can get a rate without breakfast included, try for that. if not, I would not count on a healthy breakfast before you start your day at the hotel. They had hardboiled eggs, pastry, bread for toast, coffee, tea, some fruit and not so tasty juices.

Suggestion to the hotel would be to remove the breakfast if that is all that is on offer and lower the price a little more. When I hear continental breakfast, I do not expect bacon, eggs, pancakes...but would like to see some nice yogourts, breads (brown or white), nice juice would be good too.

Given the price we paid (managers special), the location and ease of getting there, it was a good solid little hotel for our needs for 1 night. Its clean, close to restaurants and the lake. But it was still an average hotel. I did not see enough things that I would call the hotel above average or excellent..

4 Thank Amdamguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Anne at the end of Feb 05. Our party of 4 had 2 rooms between us. When booking I made the error of judging the quality of the hotel partially by its moderately expensive price, not expecting vast luxury, but expecting a modern clean room with a decent breakfast thrown in.

The hotel has a great location and looks great from the outside as it does in the photos, but once inside, the initial good impressions gives way to a shabby and poorly maintained interior.

The desk clark/duty manager was eating his dinner sat on a chair in front of the reception desk!

After we disturbed his dinner, he gave us some 'free beer' vouchers to an Irish pub that was not even open during our one night stay. He failed to mention this, prehaps important point.

The rooms were OK but again, overdue for renovation and poorly cleaned. (old soap left in bathroom, very old and worn carpets and for example.)

The write up of this place states that it has been recently rennovated but it is difficult to see where they spent the money.

The worst thing about this hotel was the breakfast included in the room price.

The breakfast room is a run down and filthy, bland room with a few ancient tables/desks and chairs. The 'breakfast buffet' consisted of a table containing;
-a loaf of long life shop baught bread (still in it's plastic bag),
-some plastic individual portion containers of jam and margarine,
-a box with PLASTIC knives and forks,
-PAPER plates,
-some boxes of cereal
-a plate of 3 or 4 pastries that looked as though they had been sitting there for a few days (based on their apperance, to risk eating them would have been foolish)
-a carton of rancid unrefridgerated milk (presented in its original carton, and there were lumps in it!)

When we pointed out to a member of staff who was walking through the room, that the milk had gone off, they seemed totaly unphased, as though it was nothing out of the ordinary.

For the 100 CAD per night per room that we paid this was terrible value for money in comparrison to the other hotels in the area at this time of year.

I don't believe that anybody working in this hotel would have been happy to eat the breakfast themselves. Up untill this we were thinking that the hotel was a bit run down but basicaly OK, so why do they bother with breakfast? Purely to be able to advertise that it's included? To ensure your customers never return?

How much effort does it take to wash up a few ceramic plates and metal knives, take the bread out of it's bag, put the milk in a jug and make sure there are no lumps in it?

We will be returning to Kelowna next year and will not be staying at the Royal Anne.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank steve_randomno
, Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2005
As manager of the Classic Royal Anne Hotel in the HEART of downtown Kelowna, I feel an obligation to respond to the above comments.
Unfortunately, comments posted on TripAdvisor are open to misleading information and not necessarily factual. We had only one guest from the UK stay with us during the noted time period, and as we are a smaller facility with long-term staff, it was not difficult to do the necessary statistical research. Several of the comments are definitely not factual & I wish to state the following:
-The interior of the hotel is clean, modern in traditional décor, with heritage artwork.
-We have not employed a male desk clerk at this hotel since 2002.
-Our Irish pub was open that evening until 1:30am with entertainment.
-The guest room that this party stayed in was totally renovated in the summer of 2004—new paint, carpet, beds, bedding, draperies, artwork.
-The complimentary continental breakfast includes in-house baked fresh muffins, danish or bagels, fresh fruit, prunes, hardboiled eggs, white & multi-grain bread(kept in plastic bags as required by Food Safe regulations), choice of three juices, coffee, de-cafinated coffee, & tea.
We do not have boxes of cereal or milk available. The plastic cutlery is displayed in wicker baskets lined with linen napkins.
-The rate that this guest paid was $79/night not $100.
There was no guest comment card completed, no notes of a complaint in the daily log journal, & no correspondence subsequently received.
Our guest comment cards & customer feedback show a very high rate of complete customer satisfaction and we are proud to have earned the status of Canada Select 3.5 Stars (the highest rating for a property with our services). We strive to exceed our customer’s expectations.
When I put all of this data together it seems to me that it is entirely posible that, due to the length of time between the guest’s stay & the date of this posting, the guest may have confused this hotel with another during their stay some six months previous. I encourage them to revisit us for an enjoyable stay in the beautiful Okanagan.

Manitoba
Reviewed July 23, 2005

I booked a room at the Royal Anne as I was coming to Vancouver from the prairies. Once I got to Banff, I found the weather seemed quite threatening and I wasn't about to risk my life driving through the mountains at night and in a storm just to keep a reservation. Especially since I was completely unfamiliar with the road.

I called the Royal Anne's desk and told them my situation and they told me that they would sell the room. When I called the next day the front desk told me that they didn't sell the room. I asked what could we do and they told me to speak with Glen (General Manager).

When I spoke to him he said that he had to bill me for the room that he couldn't sell. I explained to him my situation and asked if he would offer some consideration. Since I have no choice but to assume that he really didn't sell the room, I asked if we could split the difference and bill me for half. He said he wanted to charge me full price.

So after going back and forth for awhile I realized what kind of person I was dealing with. I asked him, "Is the Royal Anne the kind of hotel that is desperte for every little nickel??". He said yes.

That's when he siad if I came back to the Royal Anne, he would give me a discount (assuming it was on a certain day). As if I wanted to give this place any more of my money.

That's why I am here on Trip Advisor. If you care about character, don't stay at the Royal Anne. Give your business to one of the Good Guys instead.

Thanks for reading.

Stayed July 2005
7 Thank QuietTraveller34
, Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2005
As the manager of The Royal Anne Hotel, and in consideration of our high record of total guest satisfaction, I feel I must respond to the “Heartless at Royal Anne” review posted on TripAdvisor.
Our property only accepts gauranteed reservations, as is the case with most hotels. This guarantee is a two-way committment—we guarantee that we will have the accommodation requested available when the guest arrives & will hold that room for them until noon of the following day—the guest, on the other hand, guarantees that they will arrive & pay for the room unless they cancel before the noted cancellation date & time. Many properties or internet bookings do not allow cancellations at all after the booking is made.
Our hotel offers consideration in all cases, in that, we will attempt to sell a room for the cancelling party, & if we are able to sell the room then that guest will not be charged as a no-show. Kelowna is a high demand, destination, resort community during the summer months, and accommodation is at a premium, with most properties sold out weeks or months in advance. We turn down large numbers of advance bookings because of this demand. A last minute, late cancellation limits the opportunity to rent the room. A room unrented means lost revenues that cannot ever be recovered and that is the reason for a guaranteed reservation policy. On the particular evening in question, we had several guests arrive from Alberta late in the evening. Since we had received notice of bad weather from this guest, we inquired as to the weather and road conditions and were advised that there were a couple of heavy showers but the road conditions were fine. I did offer a heavily discounted rate for this person on a return visit, which would result in a win/win for both parties, with no restrictions. That offer still stands.
It is unfortunate this guest feels that we were heartless. I assure you that is not the case at all. Numerous kudos received from other guests are the testament to our commitment to guest service and satisfaction.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2005

My husband got us a great rate here at 89$ per night. The location is wonderful - you're in the centre of the downtown core and only blocks away from the waterfront.

The rooms were very clean, beds comfortable and the staff were very friendly. There is a continental breakfast offered but we didn't partake in it. Couldn't hear anyone next door although the whining of the pipes did wake me up some mornings (I just shut the bathroom door). To email home, there is complimentary internet access in the lobby.

The parking was a bit of an issue. If you're fortunate enough to get a spot in the parkade, the parking is quite tight for a larger vehicle. Otherwise, there is a parking lot just outside that is quite well lit at night.

Overall we enjoyed ourselves and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank travellingteachers
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 4, 2004

No doubt the location is good -- in the heart of downtown, etc. However, the rooms are nothing special.

The biggest drawback: parking. The covered lot holds about a dozen cars. If you arrive early enough, you get lucky. Otherwise, you park in the ally behind the hotel. Not necessarily bad, but the neighborhood appeard slightly seedy and I didn't care to take the chance.

The front-desk staff was very nice and assisted us in using the elevator (the down button doesn't work from the lobby) and pointing out some decent winery's to visit.

Probably wouldn't stay there again, given the price.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2003

We booked a regular room and they upgraded us to a King Suite, at no extra cost. Our room came with 2 Dual Mountian Ski Tickets and the package was a great deal. We will be back next year for sure..Thanks PS is a good location in Downtown Kelowna, near dozens of restaurants and only 1 block from the park and lake.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member