“Great for families”

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Great for families”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My second time here in the last couple of months. I love their suites, the kitchen is small but very useable and a great value for a family with a couple of kids. Only three minor complaints:
1) I was told when I checked in that they dont give you Best Western Rewards points when you book through Expedia because the rate you pay is too low. What kind of Rewards Club is that? If I pay more you'll give me points? Why would I do that? So you are rewarding suckers who don't know how to book the best price? Seems unfair and not worthwhile. DItch the rewards club. Sorry suckers, but apparently if you didn't use expedia you paid too much.

2) The breakfast is normally quite a good deal here with hot pancakes, bacon, eggs, and made to order omelettes. But on the Saturday they ran out of coffee (quickly replaced though), milk (not replaced), yoghurt, fruit, and the orange and apple juice both tasted funny and were cloudy....too much time in the containers out of the fridge I guess. Tough to maintain a breakfast like that with hit and miss attendance during the shoulder season I suppose. I think staffing is always an issue too...I couldn't see anyone at the restaurant that looked over 20 years old working there. The next day however, breakfast was much better and almost all items were there and didn't taste funny. The kids working there tried the best they knew how.

3. I asked for an extra blanket and a pillow when I booked as a special request on the on-line booking form. They weren't there when I checked in. I called the front desk and I got them. Minor item, but if you want 5 out of 5, make sure all special requests are looked after. Did you hear the story of the Fairmont in Toronto where a guest put down "pillow fort", the staff complied, and the story went viral on social media. Give it a try.
I will stay again, and I am sure the manager of this hotel will research and improve on these minor items where possible.
Strangely enough, the first item bothered me more than the others. Probably because that seems misleading. I have been a BW Rewards member for many years and that is the first time I was told that my stay was ineligible for rewards points. Just give me a couple of points and I'll be happy.
J

Room Tip: I love the ground floor courtyard kitchen suites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rosemary P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. I appreciate the feedback and am very pleased that you are happy with our hotel facility and details of the rooms etc. I would like to review a few of the points you noted for better clarification.

The Best Western Rewards program and other programs through Holiday Inn or Marriott etc, extend the same message that most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate are not eligible for points. This may be one reason why there are sometimes deeper discounts with the 3rd party websites. As always, for anybody that books through 3rd party sites, I strongly recommend that you contact the hotel to ensure the information on your reservation is correct and that you have the right room type and number of guests etc. It is better to deal with this in advance then upon arrival when the hotel may be full. Special requests do not always show on the 3rd party reservation forms nor if you're changing from 2 to 4 people so we may not have received the request for extra pillows and blankets. Our apologies for that, but I'm glad that you received them as soon as you requested.

Thank you for your comments on the breakfast. I have reviewed these with ORA and they have been addressed with the team and leaders.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share these comments and I review them with focused consideration on how to improve the services and amenities. I hope that you will be joining us for another stay in the not too distant future.

Rosemary Paterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
cranbrook
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I highly recommend the Kelowna Best Western Plus Hotel and Suites BUT caution travelers to check which Kelowna Best Western Plus they choose. I wanted a hotel near the airport, and checked out the Best Western Plus Hotel and Suites but made the mistake of selecting the Kelowna Best Western Plus Wine Country. This second property, which is NOT near the airport refused to switch my reservation to the correct hotel AND charged me full price for cancelling the reservation by 4:00 pm. They will not return my calls and overall portrayed a very negative customer service.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rosemary P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about this incident. I have researched this stay and spoken with the GM of the other Best Western to ensure she follows up with you. It is important to understand that when one books through a 3rd-party booking site (such as expedia or booking,com) that there are rules and restrictions that both the guest and the hotel must adhere to. The hotel does not have any control over these restrictions, and can't do same day cancellations or changes per the 3rd-party rules. This was the case with the West Kelowna Best Western Plus Wine Country property. I apologize for this frustration. As a general suggestion to all who use these sites, I do recommend that after making your booking through a 3rd-party site for any hotel/location, that you then phone the hotel to ensure that all the details are correct, such as number of people, number of beds, pet friendly etc. It saves a lot of grief and frustration at time of check-in.

And thank you for your positive rating of our Hotel in Kelowna. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites, located in the centre of Kelowna proper.

We will hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Conveniant Location with great resturant and spa. Close to mall and other dining options. Breakfast was included and was very good, not your typical buffet. The beds were very comfortable and hotel was quiet. Nice pool for the kids, would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
patersonKelowna, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Wonderful to read your kind remarks about your recent stay...thank you! I am pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel facilities and amenities. Our team strives hard to ensure all aspects of your stay are pleasureable!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and hopefully you will stay with us again in the near future.

Agassiz, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Staying here now, November 18, to November 23 2012. So far I'm happy with the service.
I like the buffet style complimentary breakfast. I can't rate the spa. I'm not into them!
The beds are really nice and comfortable. This is my third time staying in this hotel and the only negative is the hallways can be a bit of a long walk. There is ample parking though, and many entrance points, so most often you can shorten the walk. If you stay in the tower section of the hotel you don't have e far to walk at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower for a nicer view, but I've stayed here in the past and all the roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive review and for sharing your thoughts and tips with future travellers! That is wonderful and always helpful. Our property is unique with a 2 storey building and a tower which surround our peaceful grass courtyard in the centre. Many rooms have patios or balconies looking out onto the courtyard. Several access points surround the property, so after check-in, the guests can move their vehicle to the closest access point for easy entry.

Thank you again and we will hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 and we booked for a double room with 2 queen beds. We ended staying in a one bedroom suite with kitchenette because they mixed our reservation, so we paid more than we planned (even though we had
The suite was clean, comfortable and quite even though we were facing the courtyard. The pool is great for kids, and there is also 2 hot tubs but busy all the time...
The hot breakfast buffet included in the room price was average, and the waiting time for omelette was around 20 minutes.
I think this hotel is overpriced compared to value offered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about the hotel. I am truly sorry that there was some form of an error with your reservation - based on this information, I am unable to comment further as to the whys? I do always recommend that a guest (at any hotel) with some hotel related difficulties tries to speak with the supervisor or manager on duty to resolve them quickly.

I am very pleased to hear that you did enjoy your accommodation and the amenities of the hotel. Again, thank you for taking the time to write.

We will hope to see you in the future.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here the September long weekend (2012) at which time the hotel appeared fully booked. We were initially put into a room by the elevator but at our request was moved to a very quiet room. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff were excellent to deal with. The only problem which we had was the time the continental breakfast ended. We got there when they were closing but were allowed to take out drinks and food which was still available. A bit pricey but if you want an excellent place to stay with great service it is worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

patersonKelowna, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit and experienced "great" service. Our complimentary hot breakfast buffet is open from 6:30am to 10:30am daily.

Thank you again. We do hope that you'll plan to come back to stay with us on your next visit to Kelowna!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

By staying in this hotel and other Best Westerns, as members of their rewards program, we earned a free nights stay. I arranged for the room on the phone, as stipulated, and received 2 emails confirming the stay. When my husband went to check in today, he was told that he didn't have the proper documentation (had the confirmation email only, not the original card we received in the mail) and the hotel would not be able to honour the "free" night. No one at the hotel offered to help him through this and so now it looks like we will have to pay for the night. Thank goodness we are able to afford it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank LadyJ1234
I am so sorry there was some miscommunication at the time of check-in with the redeeming of the BWR free night voucher. As with any program, the voucher is required at time of arrival. I spoke with the agent who checked you in and as you didn't have the voucher printed off, she offered you the option to print it off yourself in the business centre or that we would call Best Western Rewards and have them email it to the hotel directly. We gave you the keys to your room and we went about contacting Best Western. Unfortunately, the agent that called the guest after the paperwork was completed had an accent and felt that you hadn't understood him fully. As you know, there was no charge for your room and everything was straightened out.

Again, I regret that your check-in experience was less than perfect. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again as you appeared to have otherwise enjoyed your stay.