“What an Event!”

Holiday Inn Express Kelowna
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our first contact with this hotel was for an event that our (ex)-usual hotel could not accomodate due to scheduling conflicts. It involved an all-day training session for 35 electrical contractors, and then a vendor trade show featuring high-end home products. We were flying be the seat of our pants; we have never done anything like this before, so there were a lot of changes on the fly. Betti and her team took us under their wings and made it a perfect event. Their suggestions were absolutely correct; the facility was great, and the food and beverage quality and service was over the top. This is our new home - both for events and for customers / staff travelling to Kelowna.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Jenn683, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kelowna, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest (tw0fingers),

Thank you for your review of our Hotel!

We are glad that we were able to help you out when your usual venue was not available for your meeting, and are happy that you had such a great experience with us. Betti is a true asset to our Catering Team and is great at helping our event planners to set in motion the visions for their meetings. We will ensure that Betti is recognized for her efforts by way of our Shining Star Program in the Hotel. This is a Guest Experience program to recognize the employees that go above and beyond to help make our Guest experiences great.

We are very proud of our Meeting space at the Hotel, and are glad that our catering team made your meetings go seamlessly. Thank you so much for choosing us for your meeting and we look forward to welcoming your group back soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here as part of a 16th birthday party for our daughter. My wife & I stayed in one room and our daughter and 3 girl friends stayed in a room across the hallway. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were exceptionally clean, spacious and quiet. The girls enjoyed the 2 water slides, pool and hot tub. The continental breakfast had lots of great food and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Our stay was great from check in to check out and we will be staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest (Gary20202),

Thank you so much for your review of our property!

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter, a sweet 16 is a very important occasion! We are very happy to have been able to have your family here to celebrate it!

We strive each day to ensure that we try to go above and beyond for our Guests, and we look for each opportunity to exceed their expections. We are glad that you experienced this with our team at the Hotel. We are also glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to experience the rooms and facilities that we have to offer. In a day and age where there are so many options for accommodations we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel and our Brand, we appreciate your business, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My son and I stayed there on a Saturday night along with some of his teammates. This is a great spot for families and kids. I didn't think a bunch of grade 10 kids would hang that much in the pool/water slides but they did. Breakfast is definitely better than your standard buffet from many locations and chains. Room was nothing flashy but was clean and comfortable on the quiet side of the property. Lots of eating spots across the street incl Cactus Club. Would stay there again,.

Room Tip: quieter on the back side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kiwiaussiecanuck

Dear Guest (kiwiaussiecanuck),

Thank you so much for your review of our property!

We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and the hotel while you were staying with us. The Cactus Club is a great restaurant and very popular with our Guests!

Thank you so much for choosing us when you were in Kelowna, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed just one night in October on business. Stay was very pleasant as usual and took the time to make sure that I was familiar with everything.

This is one of the more spacious breakfast areas you will encounter in an HIE in British Columbia. If you book the Tower rooms you will get a well appointed room with many power outlets, USB ports for charging, ample desk space, flat screen TV and modern decor. The mattress on my King bed must have been 20" deep. The bed sheet did not reach down to the corners. Extremely comfortable sleep but also one small problem...

Because the mattress is so tall the night stands are 6-8" below the level of the mattress. It was a bit odd having to reach down for my drink and to get the light switch. I would either reduce the size of the supporting frame under the bed or raise the night stands.

If you have difficulty with stepping up into or down from a bed then these may not be the best rooms for you. A small, nit-picky complaint I know but it could affect some people.

All in all this is a great property and I always recommend it to colleagues and friends when they travel to Kelowna.

Room Tip: If you travel more than a few nights a year get a CPSA membership. Great discounts at this and othe...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest (AA_Delta),

Thank you for your review of our property!

I am glad that you find our breakfast bar area spacious and enjoy your stay in Kelowna. Although our beds are very comfortable, I often joke because of my height that I need to take a run and a jump to get into them! I will bring your suggestions forward at our next Operations Meeting to see what can be done, and we definitely appreciate your feedback.

Thank you so much for choosing our property and recommending us to your co-workers, we look foward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I chose to stay in this hotel for my team and it`s a good thing I did. We were in Kelowna for a week on business and needed a hotel that is convenient, comfortable and clean. I was totally impressed with the quality of this hotel, from the very comfortable bed, well appointed room, to the quality of the breakfast that was included with your stay. It is also close to all the stores you want to go and the biggest shopping mall in town (Orchard Park Mall). However, I would highly recommend demanding a Tower room as this is newer. I was given a room in the old wing and right away I saw a big stain on the carpet and immediately asked to be moved...attention housekeeping..please ensure that this is resolve immediately as this will be a problem for your guests, take care of your property. It also has free parking and free wi-fi. Overall I would recommend this hotel to any business travellers that are there for longer stays.

Room Tip: Demand a Tower room, it`s newer and higher floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Jenn683, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kelowna, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Guest (EDO100),

Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel!

We are happy to hear that you had a great stay with us, and are very sorry that the first room you were in had a stain on the carpet and wasn't Guest ready. We have made spot checking for stains our extra this week and will make sure that is taken care of.

We are happy that you enjoyed breakfast and the facilities that the Hotel has available for our Guests, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in future! Thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here passing through from Banff back home to Whistler and the service was excellent. Neil especially provided us with a great check in experience and even gave us popcorn for our microwave cookies and water. The room was with 2 queens which was nice as per usual and the hotel has water slides too! Great if you are breaking up your trip though back to Vancouver or Whistler. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest (H.F.),

Thank you so much for your review of our property! We love to hear when our employees have gone above and beyond to ensure that you have a great stay and I will make sure that I pass your comments on to Neil.

I am glad that everything was great with your Guestroom and that you enjoyed our waterslides. Thank you so much for choosing our property when in Kelowna, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Because I’m a Platinum Member I try to stay at an Inter Continental Group hotel. At this location, on their website, under Dining, it states ‘Number of restaurants :1’, so I sent an email to the hotel, as per their link, (info-hiek@fortisproperties.com), asking if they have room service and/or when you dine at the restaurant it can be charged to the room; no response. So, 10 days later I sent another email, again no response. I was not impressed.

The hotel has added a new tower with a conference centre within the last few years, which I booked into. On arrival check-in was ok, there were two people staffing the front desk, each with a customer. At my turn the reservation papers were ready and went ok, then at the very end the fellow noticed I was a Platinum Member and he then said something like ‘Oh, you’re a member, do you want water, ah, do you want snacks’. I was not upgraded, even though the hotel was not busy and did not consider his comments very professional. Also, at check-in they added an extra $100 to the credit card for ‘incidentals’ WHAT? They already have me credit card # and as I found out there is NO RESTAURANT on the premises, I would have to buy a lot of pay-per-view movies for the 2 nights. I have never had this happen before.

To get to the room I was told to just park out front then walk down the hall to the tower and get the elevator there, so I asked if there was any closer parking? ‘Oh yes, just drive around the back and go through the doors’, he was right, directly through the door was the elevator, about 15 feet from where I parked. He should have said that the first time.

The room was quite nice, 5th floor with view of the Canadian Tire parking lot, nothing special about the toiletries, (actually they took away the shower cap she had worn and did not replace it), if you don’t like cinnamon soap and shampoo bring your own, no venting switch in the bathroom, there was a vent but nothing was being sucked up, we tested it. Also, the lighting in the bathroom was very dim making it difficult to see. Breakfast was typical HI Express, which is very good, in my opinion.

Not much in the way of busses in Kelowna but the Hotel is across the street for the one the goes downtown and coming back it stops just in the next block. Very convenient.

For check-out at any Inter Continental Group hotel I’ve stayed at over the last 7 years they slip the bill under the door during the night and if there is no issue you just leave in the morning. Here, no bill, so I had to go down to the front desk to get my copy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tailes2
Jenn683, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kelowna, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Guest (tailes2),

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your most recent stay at our property!

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you had while visiting us. We work very hard at ensuring that our Priority Club Members are recognized at the Hotel level, and we missed an opportunity to convey our appreication for your business, and your status as a Platinum Elite Member. I would like to apologize and assure you that we appreciate the business you bring to our Brand, and our Hotels. I have addressed both of your check in concerns with my team to ensure that we provide a better experience for Guests staying in the Hotel, and those that will visit us for future.

In regards to your room, IHG mandates what we are able to use as far as amenities but they have launched a new line of Bath and Body Works products that will be coming soon to the Holiday Inn Express properties. I have also asked for Housekeeping to watch for lighting that may need to be looked at in our tower rooms so that our Maintenance team can improve this for our Guests.

I am once again very sorry that we missed opportunities during your stay with us, but we would love the opportunity to welcome you back, and show you what we are really about.