“An Oasis for Vegans”
Review of Poppadoms - Taste India! - CLOSED

Poppadoms - Taste India!
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Highway 97
Description: Poppadoms is a little family-run restaurant in Kelowna. For us, wholesome food starts with great quality raw ingredients. That's why we make our own paneer using local dairy. Our naan bread is made using local organic eggs. We only use seafood that's sustainably caught. Plus, all of our meat is free-range. Where possible, we like to change our menu seasonally to make the most of what the Okanagan and BC has to offer. We want to re-introduce you to Indian food and show you how each region in India is different with tastes, spice blends and techniques.
Kelowna
“An Oasis for Vegans”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Poppdoms is now my favorite restaurant in Kelowna. I have eaten there 3 times and popped in for a few minutes one other other time on my way by to soak up the atmosphere of the England - USA World Cup game. Poppadoms was jammed full of England fans watching the game.

As a vegan, it is impossible to get anything to eat at many restaurants. Or if I can order something, it is often quite bland. Poppadoms is like an oasis in the desert for a vegan or vegetarian.

Serge personally sat down to go over his menu with me my first time there so I would know what I could order and how certain things could be changed to suit my needs. When I returned the second time they had designed the menu with colour coding for vegan and vegetarian dishes on the menu. On my third visit, they had a separate menu for vegetarians and one for vegans, which is great. They have put a lot of thought into their menus and it shows.

The food at Poppadoms is excellent, it has a warm, friendly, family owned atmosphere and is super clean. It should go on everybody's "must try" list.

2 Thank Tequilacoyote

Kelowna, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience!”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Fantastic food and friendly service. If you love Indian food, you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank jmatlock
Kelowna, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poppadoms, I tasted India!”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

When you come from a melting pot, multicultural city like Vancouver, BC you are surrounded by the tastes and beautiful cuisines right at your finger tips. When my wife and I first moved to Kelowna however, it was quite the cultural shock. For a person who loves to cook food as much as he enjoys to eat it, just had their gourmet backyard shrunk to a radius of 15 mins in either direction with not much diversity. Kelowna has grown to be a very popular city in the interior of British Columbia over the past 5 years, and many new restaurants are coming on the scene to embrace the pallets of its cities diners.

So when I heard about a new Indian fusion restaurant opening in Kelowna, a lot of excitement came my way. Anticipating whether or not it was going to turn out like the others in Kelowna. Some would argue that they are too expensive and not quite original. The buzz around town had been that they are a family from England and have taken the two cultures that has become so popular over the pond, and brought it here. It sure captivated many in Kelowna when they did open, and I was about to find out.

As my wife and I were warmly greeted at the front door, the first thing that caught our eyes was the Indian flare with English roots, a modern decor that jumped right out. Vibrant but warm colors. Edgy yet sophisticated. It was already off to a great start. Our waiter was very polite, and made sure that we were very comfortable and didn't want us to feel overwhelmed with not knowing what we should try. He happily told us about the special on during the football world cup, curry and chips. An Indian/English tradition. How could we say no to that. Already we were offered something no other Indian fusion restaurant in Kelowna was doing. As we waited for our food, we were entertained by the Indian pop music playing in the background, and the current football match happening on the telly. Our food came quickly and hot. Rich and medium bodied, this curry chicken with a medium heat scale to it was not too runny where you couldn't soak it up with your chips. And not too thick where you had a spoon full in one bite. It was the perfect consistency for dipping. Slightly dark in color and packed full of flavor, the aromas alone could satisfy your taste. Being that this dish was sort of like a starter but could fill you up if you ordered it as a main, the ingredients were fresh and not one was neglected when prepared. The chips (fries for all you Anglo speaking) were baked perfect. Yes I said baked, and it was quite a nice change. Poppadoms holds a level of respect for health. Crisp on the outside, smooth and soft in the middle. The way it should be when biting into one.

After our delicious starter, we moved to our main course. Dosa with Sambar. This is another tradition Indian and England infused dish that you won't find in many restaurants. It was brought to us fresh and hot. We were told by our expert server that the traditional way to go about the Dosa was to use the Sambar was a dipping side dish. We were then told to enjoy and left to indulge into the wonderfully looking and smelling creation. It was served as a folded Indian style crepe on a banana leaf, crisp but light in texture. Almost like a philo pastry. On the side we has our Sambar and a small bowl of coconut cream. As you bit into the Dosa, immediately you are hit with the sensation of Indian spices playing all over the veggies. Making you feel warm all over, this was like eating your favorite comfort foods! Our Sambar that came with the Dosa woke all the flavors up. With fresh coriander and okra, they brought all the other ingredients to life.

There is something about a dish that you know has hit on all levels of greatness, when you ask for some sort of traditional bread to scoop up whatever is left. We had some of the curry from our previous dish left and also some of the Sambar left. So the only right thing to do was ask for some home-made naan and clean it off our plates! This naan was the golden touch. Flaky and a good crust on it. Freshly minced garlic on top and perfectly moist and most importantly, not greasy. With a few sure swoops of the bowls, we were thoroughly impressed and satisfied.

As my wife and I sat there, speechless with the food we just gorged on, our wonderful server surprised us with a sample shot of a house made mango and yogurt drink. The mango's are bought from the market, but the yogurt and also their cheeses are actually made in the kitchen from scratch. It was certainly a nice cleanser to our palate and a refreshing drink to order when we visit again.

Some of the other things I noticed while at Poppadoms, everyone was smiling. You could tell they enjoyed being there and doing what they do best. They made sure you were happy, comfortable and always had what you needed. The utensils and furniture was clean. Even the bathrooms were cool! The whole experience made you feel this was your family, and you just popped in to say hello.

Poppadoms, I tasted Indian, and you get a 5 forks out of 5 forks from me!

1 Thank John_Dillinger
Kelowna
“An exceptional and unique dining experience that won't disappoint”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

This restaurant quickly became our new favourite and I'm sure it will be for you as well! Recently opened but already a leader as it placed second in this year's Taste of Kelowna "Peoples Choice" and third in the competions "Judges Choice". We love the warm vibrant ambience and the comfortable seating. The owners and their staff are passionate and knowledgeable about their product and they are committed to providing a wonderful dining experience. But let's talk about the main reason we all go out to eat.... the food... This menu provides a variety of new and exciting twists on some tradional Indian standards.We have started at the top of the menu in an attempt to work our way down in each category and so far have enjoyed every morsal! In the appies category favourite's for us include the veggie pakoras and chaat papadi. We absolutely love the Tika Masala and Poppadoms Signature Lamb Popsicle ( so creative and delicious) . The Vegatable Jalfrezi is fab and so are the Saag paneer and Saag channa. The presentation of each dish is artistic and mouth watering ( in fact I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! :)) I would recommend this restaurant to not only those Indian food lovers but to those who may be on the fence about this type of cuisine. I know you won't be disappointed! Enjoy!!!

2 Thank MicheleKelowna