“Food Zest”
Review of Poppadoms - Taste India! - CLOSED

Poppadoms - Taste India!
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Highway 97
Description: Poppadoms is a little family-run restaurant in Kelowna. For us, wholesome food starts with great quality raw ingredients. That's why we make our own paneer using local dairy. Our naan bread is made using local organic eggs. We only use seafood that's sustainably caught. Plus, all of our meat is free-range. Where possible, we like to change our menu seasonally to make the most of what the Okanagan and BC has to offer. We want to re-introduce you to Indian food and show you how each region in India is different with tastes, spice blends and techniques.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Nice change of scene for lovers of Indian food. This seems to combine the traditional with the more western appetite. The evening we went, one of the items we ordered was so popular, they'd sold out of it. We ordered something recommended by our waitress, a curried eggplant dish. It didn't disappoint, nor did the prawn dish we also ordered. We shared both meals. Garlic naan bread is good, but the plain is probably better for those who enjoy it with spicy food.
They make a deliciously thick mango lassi. Our alcoholic drinks were interesting also, a different take on some old standards. The Temple of Doom is probably best ordered at the start of the meal, as the very large infused ball of ice takes a long time to melt!
This is a family-run restaurant, with cooking classes for those interested in learning how to create their own tastes of India. You can buy spice kits to take home also. Take out food also available.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Few times I try an Indian restaurant and it was good! Not the best I've had as I was so impressed by a restaurant in Calgary and also in Vancouver.

Butter chicken was good but not as good as what I tried in the past. Naan was good, but I was impressed by their potatoes-cauliflowers curry mix, very spicy an so good! $13 lunch plate, reasonable portions, it was fine with me.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Although the food was tasty, well made and the service good the portions were very small for the prices. There were virtually no side veg on the dinner plates other than sliced red onions and some unknown green baby shoots! As well we were shocked when we reviewed our bill when we got home and discovered the 15% gratuity was automatically added to the bill!! An over-sight on our part that we didn't see this before paying. The others in our party had already paid and were departing, so being the last to pay we quickly paid the bill and ADDED 15% tip ourselves!! If the gratuity is automatically added onto the bill why is this feature on the debit machine as well? Can this feature not be disabled?? Our actual bill including drinks was $80- (before taxes) the server received a total of almost $26- for a tip!!! This was for two adults including 6 alcohol drinks between us! I didn't notice any indication on the menu that gratuity would be included in the bill! Feelin Duped!

3  Thank Gwendolyn_Lea
Poppadoms99, Owner at Poppadoms - Taste India!, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

We are sorry for letting you leave our restaurant with such a negative impression and ‘feeling duped’. I can assure you that the 15% gratuity for groups of 8 or more is a industry standard and is written on the bottom right hand side of our menu as well as our website. Our server did circle the 15% gratuity on the bill, which was checked over by 4 different people at your table, she also did verbalize this at time of payment too. The portable debit/credit machine is a standard and the tipping option always come up on every machine.

When our server did her quality checks, there were no complaints on the food. As mentioned in the descriptions for the Meen Pollichathu (fresh arctic char) and Bengali Fish (fresh wild halibut), both are served with basmati rice, which is a staple in Kerala and Bengal. There were no side dishes of vegetables because this is not how the dishes are served in India. If you would like a vegetable dish, I suggest you order the Kadhai or one of our vegetarian dishes if you choose to dine with us again.

As two members of your group has dined with us throughout the past two years, we'd appreciate it if you would speak directly to us if there’s a problem, we'd love to sort out any issues before you leave our restaurant. Again, I’m sorry you feel duped, but we equally felt disappointed by how our host was treated.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The food is excellent! My wife and I are big fans. I recently ordered large portions to pick up for 15 adults for her birthday and despite being short-staffed, the owner delivered as promised and then some. He knew it was a special occasion and communication was great to make sure everything was how we wanted it. Because of their attention to detail and great food they continue to win our patronage and have earned many new fans as well!

Our favorites are the butter chicken and korma (beef). We highly recommend!

1  Thank None0001
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Being a huge fan of Indian food, I was sure that I would love this restaurant because I heard the food was good but small portions. Well all I left with was a 147.00 bill and a hungry stomach. The portions were so small that after I had dished up my meal (with rice) it only filled up a quarter of my plate. The service was lousy beyond belief. We asked for saffron rice, and got basmati and the waiter didn't even apologize to be quite frank I think he possibly might have been ready to quit soon because he didn't really care about what he was doing. The food although good (not great) was not value based and was marked up 3000 percent at least on ingredient cost to at the table ratio. I seriously would not reccomend this restaurant to my worst foe. Do yourself a favour don't do what I did and go by the reviews of how great it is . I guarantee unless you have the appetite of a squirrel and have the patience of a Buddhist monk you will leave the place with a hole in your wallet and a frown on your face.

2  Thank talunkwan