“Fantastic food, great value”
Review of Poppadoms - Taste India! - CLOSED

Poppadoms - Taste India!
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Highway 97
Description: Poppadoms is a little family-run restaurant in Kelowna. For us, wholesome food starts with great quality raw ingredients. That's why we make our own paneer using local dairy. Our naan bread is made using local organic eggs. We only use seafood that's sustainably caught. Plus, all of our meat is free-range. Where possible, we like to change our menu seasonally to make the most of what the Okanagan and BC has to offer. We want to re-introduce you to Indian food and show you how each region in India is different with tastes, spice blends and techniques.
West Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic food, great value”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you love Indian this is THE place to go! This is our fave Indian restaurant in Kelowna --we usually eat here twice in a weeklong visit!! We eat Indian at least once a week in Vancouver and are really impressed with the class, polish and distinct dishes offered here. I had halibut and my husband had the lamb vindaloo. Vindaloo is supposed to be HOT and it was!!! Hubbie loved it (it was too hot for moi!). My halibut was succulent. We are headed back there tonight! Great place to have an earliesh dinner and to catch a movie next door! Great value for the money. Our meal with starters, drinks and mains was only about $80 which considering some of the prices we've been paying for dinners here was soooo reasonable!

• Visited July 2013

London, England
“Small portions”
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Poor value. Ordered takeout. I'm from England so I know a good curry. Dishes aren't cheap and all we got were 4-5 small pieces of meat per dish and loads of sauce. Small portions of rice too. It tastes nice, but for the price it was just cheeky. I wish they were more generous as they cook nice tasting English tasting curries.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank ycknows
Canada
“Tasty but overpriced!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Only dined here once. Was very tasty but no different than other Indian restaurants in Kelowna. Was way overpriced so I have not returned.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank ChitchatCanada
Calgary, Canada
“Presentation isn't Everything...”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have an experienced palate for east indian dining. We visited this venue with all the hype here on Tripadvisor. The first thing I can tell you is that presentation is first class and the family has put a lot of thought on making a modern restaurant. Yes, all these things are nice, but in the end it comes down to the food.

The first night we were in town, we called and they couldn't fit an 8:45pm seating because they were closing at 9:00pm on a Friday night. I think one of the fundamental things in the high end restaurant business is to always welcome a visitor (especially when they are visiting from out of town).

When we finally made it into the restaurant, some of the menu items were unavailable, especially from their specialty items. So, in their defence, we didn't really get to try their food properly.

Our appetizers were beautifully presented but lacked some authenticity to it's flavour but I suppose it may be more appealing to the novice palate and not really catered to east indians. The naan was fantastic and our main courses were good but not excellent or exceptional as many here would portray. I really wish they would put presentation aside and really give it a good go with enhancing the flavour of the foods.

Would I go back? Yes, I believe that maybe they were having an off night, as the head chef (the mum wasn't in) and it appears that fridge may have been partially empty. I'll post another review afterwards but our experience the other night just didn't cut it - I hope they can do better... Because being from the UK gives them an advantage; east indian food there is phenomenal and they know it!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank SandAficionado
Kelowna, Canada
“PERFECT Business Luncheon!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I absolutely love dining at Poppadoms- Taste India! The food is fantastic, VERY consistent and authentic home cooked quality is surpassed by no one in Kelowna. Aside from amazing eats, the team is always so flexible. In fact, I showed up last night 10 minutes before closing and they stayed open so I could enjoy a glass of wine with my partner and eat Mum's famous Pakoras.

My experience is always so amazing that it prompted me to have Poppadoms- Taste India! cater a business luncheon for my team last month. Their Tiffin lunch is the PERFECT solution for anyone needing a lunch solution different from the usual sandwhich and soup. The Tiffins are authentic Indian containers that house a selection of daily inspired curry, rice and dessert- all for a great price (and delivery).

I encourage anyone visitng Kelowna to stop into Poppadoms and experience the very best in Indian cuisine. Mum is a truly inspired chef that only serves exactly what she would serve her own family.

Hats off to the Dosanj family for taking the plunge and introducing a little spice and excitement to Kelowna.

Love it.