“Too much styrofoam in the restaurant!”

Comfort Suites Kelowna
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Managed to snag a room for $99. Very nice hotel, with nice rooms and a pool.

The GM was very nice and friendly; she was genuinely interested in our stay. She even remembered us from check-in when we were checking-out, which shows she really cares for her guests!

The mattress wasn't to my liking (but my travel companions liked it!). The pillows are oddly the size of a half pillow.

The downside is the free hot breakfast. Sure, it's free, but the egg patties and sausage were a little suspect and not the best. Won't complain too much because they were free, though ;)

One thing that I'd like to see is the Styrofoam plates, cups and plastic cutlery get changed to something better for the environment (or switch to real plates, cups and cutlery).

I'll definitely consider another booking here!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ComfortSuitesKelowna, General Manager at Comfort Suites Kelowna, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. Our Green team is always interested in ways to reduce our carbon footprint- I do hope that you found the breakfast bar plates (made of potatoes:)) a good plate option and sincerely, I do appreciate your comments on all of our services.

Thank you so much for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you in the future. Until then,

Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed in the Family Suite (Sleeps 6)

What we liked:
The room will sleep 6 people but in 3 beds
The room was clean and the bedding was comfortable
The breakfast was included and had good selections
The staff were friendly and helpful
The pool has a great water slide for older kids 8+ yrs
There is a small but functional gym for anyone that wants to workout

What was a little disappointing:
-Everyone takes advantage of the breakfast - so seating can be an issue
-Returning to the hotel, if you are headed East on the HWY requires a U-Turn
-They run on a small staff - and so depending on how busy they are - the response can be a little slow (but it was always friendly and earnest)

Note:
The nightly fee for the suite is pricey for the level of accommodation but you have to remember it sleeps 6 people.

Recommendation:
If you do not mind being 15 mins to the beach and are looking for a room for 6 people this is the suite for you. It would work for a golf trip as it is on the HWY and only 20 mins from Predator Ridge, Tower Ranch and other top courses.

Room Tip: The 6 person suite worked for us - as we had our kids sleep in the pull-out, we slept in one queen a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the large family suite- It truly is the perfect room for a group of your size. We are so very close to the many golf courses in our region and do offer great location for a super golf getaway. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future - and tip:: we do have a back entrance to the hotel off of Commerce that helps to ensure no U turns. Please do not hesitate to call us in advance and I know our team would be pleased to be able to provide best route.

For now- all the best - and we hope to see you next year for a great golf staycation

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Comfort Suites for 2 nights and I just loved it. The staff is very friendly specially that evening front desk agent Lee. He was really helpful and friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
ComfortSuitesKelowna, General Manager at Comfort Suites Kelowna, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay; Lee truly does provide exceptional guest services- Thank you for the accolade.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Kelowna and provide you the same pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were just passing through and this worked just fine. The staff was very personable, the room was clean and well laid out and appointed, the bed comfortable and good water pressure. The breakfast actually had some hot food with pretty good coffee. Kelowna does not appeal to me but I can see the attraction for summertime water fun.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first time in Kelowna and for the record, you MUST make the trip! It's absolutely spectacular here and I will be back! As far as the Comfort Suites go, it's a pretty new place I believe and I didn't have one complaint. From check in to check out, not one problem and I had a very nice stay. Friendly staff at the desk was nice to see, very comfortable and nicely decorated rooms. The beds and pillows were very comfy. Rooms were spacious. Desk area has extra hookup with several outlets for all my gadgets. Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, all the necessities. Even the towels were a step up and a little more thick than I usually see. I did not eat breakfast downstairs but I did pop my head in to grab a piece of fruit. Looks about normal from what I see at other Comfort Suites. I rarely stay at a place where there isn't even one negative or one thing to comment on that wasn't good but this is that place! Take it from me, you won't be sorry staying here! Oh, and if you have kids, the waterslide looked very cool!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and truly do hope that we are able to welcome you back on your next visit to B.C.

May I wish you all the best

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as my husband had business in Kelowna. We were pleased with the location, which was close to where he was working as well as to lots of restaurants and shopping opportunities. We didn't have time to do anything "touristy"; to be honest, if I were going to Kelowna for a holiday, I'd want to stay somewhere with more character than a chain hotel directly on the highway and in the middle of multiple shopping areas.

For the most part, our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. I would definitely stay at the hotel again--for business reasons--if I got the same good price as I did this time. I have made notes below of some of the things that stood out as excellent or that needed improvement.

Parking: Adequate, which is good if you have a larger vehicle.

Pool: We didn't use the pool, but it appeared that those people using it enjoyed themselves. (It was right near reception, very visible to anyone entering/leaving the hotel). Had it been raining, I would definitely have used the exercise room, which appeared to be adequately equipped.

Breakfast: there was an unusually large variety, mostly traditional North American breakfast items including sweet rolls, toast, waffles, cereal, eggs, sausages/bacon, fruit and a variety of juices and hot beverages. A really nice touch was that they offered bagged breakfasts for people who were leaving before the breakfast room opened at 6:30. For us, having such a good breakfast in the hotel saved a lot of time for my husband and his crew. I don't usually eat that much sugar for breakfast, nor should I be eating gluten, but I don't expect that my dietary requirements would be catered to in a situation like this. Sturdier plastic cutlery would have been nice to have: the forks and knives tended to bend whenever we tried to use them on the food!

Room: We had good-sized suite which was relatively clean and welcoming. We appreciated the fridge and sitting area. The decorator had evidently gone to a great deal of trouble to coordinate the room from both an aesthetic and practical angle. This worked in the bedroom but was a bit of the problem in the bathroom. It's one thing to have a modern sink area that has a slatted lower shelf and dark wood baseboards, it's another to keep those things clean. I noticed dust along the baseboards, particularly beneath the sink area, which is hardly surprising because it would take a Cirque Soleil acrobat to get under there to clean. Even I, with my tendency to dust allergies, wouldn't bother cleaning there too often. My main quibble was that there was no bedside table on my side of the bed, so I had to put my glasses on the floor and hope that I wouldn't step on them. At least the carpet was clean! There were a couple of issues with a burned out bulb and a broken bed side lamp switch, which I reported to reception with the understanding that it was not a big deal and I didn't expect instant attention. This is something I would, however, have expected housekeeping staff to notice and correct when preparing the room for us. The room was quiet, despite being right on a busy highway. The fridge was very quiet, too, which was great because I am pretty sensitive to noise. The only noise that was disturbing came from the hallway, when a family of children seemed to spend much of our last night tramping up and down and shouting. We were on the top floor, apparently the "business" floor, so I would imagine such a situation would not be the norm. Our room overlooked a car lot and the lighting at night, though bright, didn't disturb us because the black-out curtains functioned well. the mattress was good, and we slept well on it. I was glad that I brought my own pillows, as the pillows supplied were not very comfortable.

Employees: I would rate this hotel as being below average or average on account of all but one employee.

The "Breakfast Lady", Norma, was the absolute star employee at this hotel, really great. She was always cheerful and made sure she greeted everyone individually. She once apologized to me because she hadn't noticed me come in! Her smile and happy demeanor made a great start to our day and certainly was the best part of our interaction with hotel employees. Even when she was busy, she had something nice to say to everyone.

The other employees were, for the most part, briskly efficient and their politeness--if they didn't try to avoid guests outright--appeared to be more of a trained response rather than one that came from the heart. At times the trained response fitted over the employee's real attitude rather poorly. One night our fire alarm went off in the room. Since it quit relatively quickly and appeared to be connected to the heating (which we turned down) and we were very tired, we didn't bother reception (or try to find out whether the rest of the hotel was burning down). My husband was so startled by the noise that his back and neck ended up going into spasm as a result. I mentioned the matter to reception the next day, in case there was something faulty with either the alarm or the heating system and to avoid another occurrence. I was told that this happened quite often every fall because of the dust in the air conditioners and that housekeeping was vacuuming these as they went. The two people on reception weren't at all apologetic, nor did they waste time on sympathy for my husband, who was in pretty bad shape all day. My husband also overheard a guest complain that a pizza had vanished from her room; the same receptionist had a similarly "too bad but so what?" response for her, leaving the guest angry and upset. Had the receptionist responded by apologizing sincerely on behalf of the hotel, the guest would have been mollified. Had the employee gone so far as to offer to order another pizza, I'm sure the guest would have walked away with a life-long loyalty to Choice Hotels. It is distressing to think that Comfort Suites Kelowna--or perhaps even the whole Choice Hotels chain--may have lost a customer over a $25 pizza.

The best hotel I ever stayed at was one where each staff member was empowered to make the guest's stay memorable in a GOOD way. Housekeepers looked you in the eye and said hello and wished us a great day instead of scurrying around in the background. Reception dealt with issues brought to them by guests by responding "what can I do to make this right?" and acting immediately on the guest's request.

I know Comfort Suites Kelowna already gets great reviews in TripAdvisor but somehow transmitting to their employees that they should care about the guest's experience and empowering them to make things right where necessary would make it a truly great hotel. Somehow--apart from the "Breakfast Lady", the Comfort Suites Kelowna hotel employees have not been given the opportunity to see their jobs in the service industry as their vocation and they don't quite buy into the values and goals of their employers (namely attracting and keeping customers by offering outstanding service). Truly great service comes from the heart and it happens when the employee feels a sense of ownership in the experience being offered to the guest.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Ill be honest, this is my first ever online review.
I felt compelled to write this review, However, Because never before have i recieved such top notch service at ann Inn. (And i travel my fair share to say the least.)

Apart from being a stones throw away from many attractions; Including Shopping malls, Restaurants, Familly attractions such as Mini Golf, Multiple Go Cart tracks and Lazer Tag (the list can go on an on, for all ages); Comfort Suites blew me away with their complimentary services, Their confident and caring staff as well as the luxary & modern look of their building.

With a great price point, Its no wonder why i was recommended to spend my weekend at Comfort Suites Inn, and no wonder why Ive chosen to pass on the favor on to you.

• Stayed: September 2013