“Not good”

Ranked #92 of 344 Restaurants in Kamloops
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed July 17, 2011

For a place that offers $30 rolls they have tissue napkins on the side of every table. Food was nothing to brag about but what I'd it for us was that we waited 30 min for our 2 simple dynamite and tuna roll and asked for no cucumber and guess what comes out? Cucumber! Over priced sushi and bad service at it's finest. 2/5

1  Thank Carmensandie

Reviewed July 15, 2011

My husband is a sushi lover, so we sought out Sanbiki while visiting Kamloops. This downtown restaurant has the ambiance of a diner, with basic tables and little decor. Our server was helpful, but gave only basic service- for example, my dinner (consisting of several small dishes) was placed beside me on a tray, and left for me to unload the dishes off the tray. However, the Japanese sushi chef came out twice to confer with my husband about the sushi, answering his questions in a very helpful manner. Most of the seafood served is "ocean wise" meaning the fish is from sustainable fisheries, which I find admirable. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his sushi. I had the Sanbiki combination plate, which was a nice assortment of tempura, teriyaki, and a California roll. It tasted great, but the large size of the teriyaki chicken and the large (4" by 6") "loaf" of tempura vegetables was virtually impossible to eat with chopsticks. If you enjoy Japanese food, especially sushi, and atmosphere is not important to you, then this is the place. However, it is not a gourmet dining experience.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

There was nothing wrong with Sanbiki for what was, but number 1 in Kamloops it is not. We had the sushi and it was just your run of the mill sushi that you can get anywhere. Decor and atmosphere were non existent. It was fine for what it was, just not number 1!

Reviewed July 11, 2011

So I took the fellow Tripadvisors reviewers advise and went to this restaurant AND was completely impressed!!. We are on the Rocky Mountaineer Train trip through the Canadian Rockies and this was our first stop from Vancouver and all the restaurants that they refer you to are plentiful but this restaurant was NOT on the list and even after getting a recommendation from the Hotel 540 staff for Rick's Mediterranean.. we chose Sanbiki instead since it was basically right across the street.. ..and had the best reviews as THE Best restaurant in Kamloops British Columbia Canada... not just for Japanese fare but as a whole.
My daughter and I had the Sashimi combo (29.00)and it was among the best I have ever had. Generous portions and FRESH FRESH FRESH but NOT CHEAP CHEAP .. but FAIR.!!!
If you are going to eat sushi you want it fresh and then it won't be cheap but if you want cheap go to McDonald's. Very nice hot saki presentation and they make sure the saki stays hot.!!. Great frosty glass for the Sapporo draft beer for my husband and interesting Japanese strawberry sodas with a marble in them?? Unusual... but fun for the kids. We had the BBQ beef tongue. appetizer . very delish and the deep fried tofu appetizer in dashi sauce .. also good. We were among the first there for dinner on a Monday night and only Japanese folks showed up for dinner afterwards and it was pretty busy!!.. Always a good sign!!! They know good eats!!
One gentleman was showing my daughter how to work the chopstix!!
Super friendsly staff .. bright open airy restaurant space. Clean & happy space... I hope they do well cuz it's a treat to find something so amazing in this lackluster town.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is one of the last places in Kamloops where you can get traditional Japanese food. Everywhere else puts an odd twist on it but these guys do it right. It's a little pricey but it's well worth it.