“Excellent place to unwind and enjoy the view”

Storms On The River
Ranked #23 of 344 Restaurants in Kamloops
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center
Description: At Storms on the River we love where we live. As such, we are passionate about the great variety of ingredients British Columbia has to offer. Our internationally trained and educated Executive Chef sources all of our ingredients as fresh and local as possible while our experienced team strives to provide you with a fine dining experience you’ll enjoy. Besides being a certified oceanwise restaurant you can also count on us for a wide selection of meats and other made-from-scratch dishes. Our menus are seasonally inspired but be sure to check us out for our weekly feature specials as well. All this goes hand in hand with what our bar and lounge has to offer: From local brews over an extensive wine list to the perfectly crafted cocktail your cravings will not be left unsatisfied. Come by and enjoy a meal with family & friends overlooking the South Thompson River or dock your boat at Kamloops’ only boat access restaurant after a day on the water.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went to the Storms on the river yesterday before our evening out to the Sagebrush theater.
As we were on a limited time table, I made a reservation.
On our arrival a nice table overlooking the river was ready for us. It is very relaxing watching the boats go by and seeing all the birds and ducks flying around.
We were seated promptly by a friendly hostess and our waitress arrived soon after with water, menus etc. We mentioned that our theater started at 8 and that we were a bit rushed.
It was no problem.
We ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio from a local winery which was excellent. Their wine list had a good selection of local wines that were very reasonably priced.
We ordered a chicken and ribs for my wife and I had some fresh oysters as appetizers and then some oysters Rockefeller, which are baked on a bed of spinach with onions, cream and a touch of pernod, All cooked perfectly. then I ordered some fried calamaris with tzatziki sauce, also tasty.
the restaurant has an interesting dessert and cocktail menu, which we will have to sample on our next visit.
Our server was friendly, attentive and got us served in our time frame.
Our entire dinner was less then $ 100 for two which is very reasonable for an excellent evening out.
on another subject,
In the last year or so there has been a lot of so called trendy or fancy restaurants who believe that the best way to keep diners at their establishment, is to rip them off with overpriced wines! To them I would like to say, we all know the price of a bottle of wine from the winery or liquor store ! And we are not all on an expense accounts, maybe that is why we either not order any of your wines or else are not coming back?
As a restaurateur and chef , who has been in the hospitality industry longer then he likes to admit,I would like to give the owner or manager of the Storms my compliments. Excellent performance. Your staff genuinely enjoys working there and it shows.
We will be back on our next visit to Kamloops, and I will recommend the Storms to our friends.

1  Thank swissboy43

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Last night my husband and I celebrated our 40th anniversary with another couple and our daughter. My husband and I both had the NY strip loin, asked for medium. The steak was over cooked, tough, vegetables were cold, garlic prawns were soggy. Probably the worst meal I have had in Kamloops. We did mention it to our server who said she would speak to the kitchen manager but then nothing more was ever said, and the kitchen manager did not speak to us...Our bill was almost $200.00 for the 3 of us, I will not be back, nor would I recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Price was average. Mussels were excellent. My husband had ribs and they were okay, not the best he has had. Our friends had the Cobb salad and the other friend had salad with candied hazel nutsand nuts were soggy. The Cobb salad had their spin on it however it was good. The other salad was mediocre.
Worth the view but food was to outstanding.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a beautiful spot on the South Thompson River. Although it has been cleaned up since last visit it still could use some TLC.
Some confusion about reservations when we arrived (we had reservations)
The clam chowder was delicious but from that point on it went down hill. My chicken pacifica had one small shrimp maybe from a can no evidence of crab and for some reason I got potatoes and gravy no pasta. The vegetables were done beautifully tender crisp but could have used some seasoning. Service was very very slow...impression trying to sell more drinks. Over priced for quality.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Sat on patio that has huge plate glass windows to shelter from cool breezes. A variety of items on menu. We chose scallops with sausage with appetizer and the sundries tomato clam chowder. Both were served piping hot and very good. Main courses were very good but personally the Banoffee cake for dessert was the reason I would go back. Crumb base, creamy toffee layer, fresh bananas slices then real whipped cream on top. Very attentive service even with a tour bus arrived. They knew it was coming and had the staff in service to accommodate. Will go back.

1  Thank sunshineseeker58