“Pay 2x US pricing, but you get great service... + 10x the salt!”
Review of Carl's Jr. - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Carl's Jr.
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Kamloops has to be a paradise among North American small cities as pretty well everywhere you eat, the service is almost borderline-ridiculously friendly. Either people here are just superhappy to live in this great Canadian desert town, or they're all audioanimatronics happy bots. Carl's Jr. is no exception as the staff seems genuinely joyful... far more than I would ever possibly be working at a fast food restaurant.

As for the fare, it's typical Carl's Jr. and varies widely. The Angus Thickburger patty is a good size and tastes great, but on the Texas version the jalapeno fried slices are all breading with no discernible heat whatsoever, and the cheese really should be melted and not a cold slab. On the other hand, the pulled pork is heavenly and the bun is fresh, delectable and almost pretzel-bun brown.

The biggest problem I ran into was the crosscut poutine. It was so salty as to be literally inedible. Some of the potato pieces were literally triggering my gag reflex as a single serving seems to contain the average daily requirement for sodium for the entire population of Kamloops.I guess that the cost of the salt has to be why the prices are double that of the US, right?

2  Thank metaungulate

Reviewed August 11, 2014

burgers not right fries cold no cream in coffee my burger was gluten free but the bun was lettuce meat. no gluten free bun given. he was the manager who took our order. A young girl who was a worker there made it right for us

1  Thank anne s
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Sorry, don't have anything good to say about this place. Had two meals there and still wonder why we went back the second time as we usually follow the rule, once bitten, twice shy. Don't know anyone who has enjoyed their food but I guess they should speak for themselves.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Despite arriving near closing, we were greeted friendly and served excellent food. Some items were not longer being served because it was so close to closing time. Presumably the owner, checked on us a few times and asked us about our trip so far.

We were able to walk to our hotel for the evening and returned for breakfast the next day. It was a lovely change from Tim Hortons or McDonalds. The burrito was not as great as the photo looked but the plate meals were delicious and the coffee was hot.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I'd visited Carl's in the States before but never in Canada so I figured it was time. First off, the Canadian menu is much smaller than you will find in the lower 48, focusing almost exclusively on the burgers. Regardless, we were there for that very reason and were not disappointed. Initially, I thought the prices were pretty high in comparison to other fast food outlets, but when the burgers arrived I realized just how much bigger they were, and priced reasonably. The char-broiled taste was just great, and so too with the Crisscut and sweet potato fries. Nice and crispy and seasoned well. We bought a couple of side salads, again a decent price given the size, but we were too full and had to take them home. We only had the Famous Star burgers so I'm glad I didn't opt for anything larger. The restaurant was well air-conditioned, clean, and a little 'fancier' than most mainstream fast food places, a large flat screen TV played music videos but not too loudly...All in all, very tasty and we'll return.

1  Thank Ydnar