“Great food & service”

New Beijing Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 339 Restaurants in Kamloops
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Calgary, Canada
“Great food & service”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have now eaten at this restaurant each time we passed through Kamloops. The value is excellent and the service and food are excellent! Enjoy!!

Visited October 2012

Saskatchewan, Canada
“Quantity, But Not Quality”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were staying at the Maverick Motor Inn, which we highly recommend (see separate review), and since the restaurant is next door, we decided to try it --- in spite of the obvious opposing views on TripAdvisor. Sadly, the negative reviews seems to be more accurate. One of us cannot tolerate MSG, so we checked earlier in the afternoon whether we could get MSG-free meals and were assured that we could, though we would have to avoid some choice (which is fine). Later when we were ready to order, there was some uncertainty as to what did or did not contain MSG. We like Chinese food, and since there were only two of us, we often choose two different individual meals and then share. There were only two “individual meal” choices and, while there was some overlap (as is often the case), that was not an issue. But the chicken fried rice and chicken chow mien had only small hints of chicken and/or any vegetables, the small deep fried prawns were mostly batter, and the sweet and sour pork was overdone. Although prices were reasonable and there is a great view overlooking the city and valley, the food left a lot to be desired and was a big disappointment. The servings were huge, so we took a bunch home, but next day tossed it.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank prairiehawk
British Columbia
“Horrible!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My son and I ate there this evening, and the food was absolutely disgusting. (Chicken wings were fine.) The Almond Chicken was so overdone that when you cut it, the breading and almonds flew all over the place. It needed gravy but when I asked for some, my server laughed and said that Almond Chicken never has gravy. Well, excuse me, but I have had Almond Chicken with gravy and it was just delicious. This dish needed SOMETHING. (Note to servers: please don't laugh at your customers when they suggest something.)

Then came the deep fried prawns. I asked for seafood sauce or cocktail sauce, and oh no... nothing like that. They could give a little dish of something else which we agreed to, but it was the most disgusting thing we've ever tasted. Then biting into the prawns which were completely overcooked, the inside of the batter was brown. I've never seen the inside of prawns look like that, so we called the manager over. She immediately said that she'd remove the cost of the chicken and the prawns and apologized for the appearance of the prawns. I asked her to please take this prawn back to the kitchen and show them what they were serving. Of course, she didn't. I'm sure the entire batch of prawns were thrown in the trash after we left, but she certainly wasn't going to admit that.

A couple of hours after we arrived home, my son began to get sick and vomit. I ate one prawn and he ate a lot more. I called the restaurant, spoke with another "manager" who insulted my intelligence by saying that this is what deep fried prawns look like inside. As if I'd never cooked prawns myself or eaten them in other restaurants previously.

This place is absolutely gross, and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Visited October 2012
Camrose
“Great Meal”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Excellent food and good sized portions. Friendly, quick service. Offered discount if staying in the hotel on the property.

Visited July 2012
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
“Best in Kamloops??”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were told this was the best place in Kamloops for Chinese, Poor Kamloops, while it has great service, the food is only average.

Visited July 2012