“Excellent stay, clean rooms”

Howard Johnson Downtown Kamloops
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed with my cousin when he was in Kamloops with his softball team. Our room was clean and smelled good. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Not sure why others have left negative comments but I think it was excellent choice.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I knew we were in trouble when we drove up! Ever get the feeling that something isn't going to be good....this was it. Checked in, got to our room and the smell was unbelievable, asked to be moved, checked 3 or 4 other room and finally decided on one. Once in the new room noticed the pillows were stained asked for new ones, got them. Went out for a bite to eat and checked a hotel down the street, had a vacancy. Checked out of the HoJo asked for a refund they said contact Expedia to get it. Didn't matter if I got the refund or not, they could give this hotel to me to stay for free, wouldn't do it. Stay away!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob M
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not even sure where to begin. There was a large group of us and so had quite a few rooms. The first thing we did was check for bed bugs!! Ironically when asked others, every single room did the same thing. Thankfully nobody saw any and the sheets looked clean. So that would be a plus. Was really noisy in the rooms with the AC and in ours a toilet that kept running (no adjusting could stop this). Worst shower of my life. Fluctuated from ice cold to scalding hot every ten seconds or so. Not an exaggeration, I screamed at one point and ended up turning the hot water off completely and dealt with the ice cold. Wasn't just ours or time of day, everyone said the same thing. I didn't even shower the second day I was afraid. Rooms didn't seem like they were properly cleaned and were either not stocked with towels or not enough. Looked like there was mold and mildew problems in the bathrooms, around the baseboards it was pretty dirty. One room had something gross on their door and when they told the front desk they just brought them a paper towel to clean it up. Another room apparently smelt like urine. I did not go verify this, but some had carpet and honestly who would make it up? We considered moving to another place, but it seemed like a headache so we put up with it. It was more the cost of what we were paying for what we were getting. Rooms should have been around $50 a night and we paid more than double that. They included a breakfast as well, which wasn't much, but better than nothing I guess. There were other places nearby if preferred something other than toast or cereal and coffee and juice. Note that we didn't complain or try to get anything changed, but the place was booked and there didn't seem like much they could do other than get us more towels. It was the first time I checked out of a place and they didn't ask how was the stay. They must know the place is a dump. I definitely wouldn't be staying there again or any other hojo without checking out the rooms first. There are lots of other choices around, so as I said, I'd recommend only if desperate.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank CDavis80
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We do not recommend. The room was tiny, dark and you could see light around the door to the outside. Everything was worn and / or stained. Not worth the money. Pillows were so thin you needed 3 but there was only one.
Our room was on the ground floor facing a back parking lot/alleyway

Room Tip: There are many other hotels in Kamloops so do a better job of previewing them than we did.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This place is discusting filthy crackhead place.. Pulled back the sheets to see it was already slept in!! Asked for another room it was worse.. Dirty sheets dirty floor.. Place should be shut down!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Truckergal55
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed in a room with 2 double beds. The room needs updating but other than that..the room was clean and smelled fine. There was no fridge which was disappopinting..I really like having a fridge in my room. THe room came with a hairdryer which was great for me. The bath room was clean but like I said needs updating. The remote for the TV didn't work for everything..but that didn't really matter for me.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stay at Howard Johnson Inn Downtown for a weekend for 2 nights with my husband and kids and it was a wonderful stay. Our room was clean and smelled good. Wireless internet worked fine and continental breakfast saved our family $25 every mornings. This hotel has best staff I have ever come across. Every time I needed somethingThey always offered to come to my room and deliver. Overall, I would say this Howard Johnson is my choice of accommodation for my future stays in Kamloops.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family