“Stole our Money” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Bozeman, Montana
“Stole our Money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We made a reservation here well in advance of our trip to the Olympics. A member of our party suffered kidney failure so we had to cancel. Because there are two Howard Johnson's in town I was confused about which one we had reserved. I called both motels both said they did not have a reservation for anyone with our last name. I assumed my wife had canceled our reservation and we went about our lives. I was shocked to find charges for 2 rooms on our next credit card bill from this motel. When we called to dispute it they informed us they were sold out that night and would have to charge us. They also told us the reservation had been made the day of the arrival. Caution poorly manged hotel with thief-like business practices. The other reviews here make it obvious they don't care for their property at all. Stay away!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Beijing
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Staff were nice and helpful, but the Hotel is poor quality. I'm not sure it was ever nice, since the contruction is low quality - cabinets are thin, moldings are badly fitted, bath seals are poorly fitted. Shoddy work on a basic building. Located right next to a freeway - noise isn't bad when the doors are closed, but people speaking outside are heard very easily - was woken up a few times by general chat. Room was clean but dated. Not a pleasant feeling. I've been in cheap Hotels in Europe and Asia and this felt like a cheap Hotel. Breakfasts are very simple and self serve - juice, cereal, toast, and waffle maker. Not bad, but would tire if you're there for a few days. Was relieved to leave.
In conclusion, cheap price for a cheap Hotel. Would not recommend staying.

Room Tip: Can't say any will be good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HinBeijing

Travelers are raving about these Kamloops hotels

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

this hotel should not be part of the hojo chain opon entering the room i smelled pesticides i looked between the matteress and they have bed bugs and fleas i called the manager he gave me a rude look i showed him the bed and he argued with me that is was nothing then he told me " in this industry this is to be expected " do not stay here there is a reason it is so cheap and no cars are parked here

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jason s
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

On our way back from jasper we decided to spend a night in Kamloos and stayed at Howard Johnson Downtown. I read some bad reviews on my iphone and was bit concerned but this hotel definetly impressed us. Surprisinly very large lobby, front office staff was very friendly and offered to carry our luggage upstairs. Rooms had 1 queen size bed with a computer desk. Overall clean carpets, comfortbal beds,, bathroom was clean and tv and internet worked fine, so no problems at all. OH free breakfast definlety saved 10 bucks for us. My recemmendations, this is the best location and accommodation if you looking for room under 90 bucks

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FromWindsor
Chandigarh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was on tour to Canada and thats too for the first time, after leaving Vancouver we spent night in Kamloops and had a stay at Howard Johnson on columbia street. It was very nice place and everbody was very friendly and helpful. As i was not aware of any place they helped me find many lovely shops, it was sweet. I stayed there again on my way back to Vancouver airport and it was again nice as earlier. I also liked the breakfast and it was lovely making the waffles in the morning. I would like to invite everybody to stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nileshkukreja
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

I had made a booking at this hotel in the hopes of staying at a solid, basic hotel for 3 nights for a family reunion. We're a young family on a budget, and I thought that staying with a "name" like HoJo would be a safer bet than going to an independent motel. (Mistake #1).

It looks old from the curb, but it's in a downtown location so an older building is to be expected. Check-in went smoothly, until I went to look at the room. The room we had been assigned was in terrible condition, there's no way it had been renovated any time recently, much less in 2006 as is stated on their website. I was not impressed, and I let the clerk know. He said, rather indifferently, that it was a 2-1/2 star hotel so "what do you expect?". I asked if I could cancel the booking & payment without penalty, to which he said he'd have to ask the manager and get back to me in *the morning*! Against my better judgement, we decided to stay there anyways (Mistake #2).

To put it bluntly, this is a 1 - 1 1/2 star motel. There's no way it's 2 1/2 stars, as they don't offer anything above any of the multitude of other basic motels that are available in Kamloops. They probably only have the extra stars because they are affiliated with Howard Johnson's.

Our biggest complaint is that my wife has obtained more than thirty bites from what our doctor believes are bedbugs. Unfortunately, as the bite symptoms didn't appear in earnest until after we'd left the hotel we weren't able to take a look for the little critters ourselves. The manager (Harry) that I've spoken to on the phone has patently denied they have any problems, despite claiming our specific room (211) was inspected for bedbugs only a month before because someone in there was "sick". Given our phone conversations, I'm not hopeful for any meaningful resolution to our complaint.

Among my rather long list of other complaints about this property:

- Shabby carpet with old gum stuck on it.
- Broken smoke detector
- Several non-functional electrical recepticles
- Rusting Bathroom sink
- Peeling laminate on the bathroom counter
- Pieces falling off of the bathtub fixtures
- Tiny TV with snowy reception
- Loud A/C
- Old mattresses
- Terribly dim lighting
- Poorly functioning telephone and wi-fi internet
- Indifferent staff response (or lack thereof) to my complaints

The few (mildly) positive features:
- decent breakfast is included, although the breakfast room is tiny and seats only 10 people.
- free parking close to the hospital, if that's why you're in town
- you get free local and toll-free calls (if you can get the phone to work)

In short, don't stay here. Either fork out the extra dollars and stay at a real 3+ star hotel, or save some money and pay only the 1-1/2 star price somewhere else. Don't get ripped off here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vanbigslick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

I have attached photos of our experience, otherwise you'd never believe it. In summary the room was absolutely repugnant. The entire room had a disgusting pungent foul odor, there was dried up snot in the ice bucket (photo), the floor looked like it hadn't been vacuumed for quite some time (photo), the bathroom sink had mold growing in it , the sink was rusting away (photo), the 20 year old laminate was coming away from the bathroom sink (photo), dirty stained towels (photo) and the bed sheets were threadbare and had holes forming the size of your hand (photo), the feathers in the pillow had congealed together from the years of sweat of guests and somebody had done a "number two" in the toilet without flushing it, the toilet paper and it was all there waiting for us (no need to traumatize you with photos of that). This room was so bad, I woke up with tonsillitis after a single night there.

The price was only $10 or so cheaper than the other hotels and believe me it's worth the extra money. This place was so bad I've taken photos or nobody would believe you.

Room Tip: The Sandman Inn next door is great
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple