The Plaza Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Fountain Motel(Kamloops)
Grandview Motel(Kamloops)
View Hotel
All reviewsheritage hotelfree international callsdowntown kamloopsone nightcharming hotelrooms are smallrestaurant downstairsbreakfast was includedliquor storestreet noiseolder hotelcentral locationhash brownsvictoria streetriverside parkhot breakfastcomfortable room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Pretty rooms,a little in the small side but adequate for our needs.Nice,fluffy towels and free international calls! Complementry breakfast ans toilett items such as tooth brushes etc. The receptionists very friendly and helpful.The rates are very good for the accommodations provided.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bare-with-me
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Dear valued guest, nordicbare

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words and feedback. We value our guests and their feedback and we will do our utmost to ensure the most positive and pleasant experience when staying at the Plaza Hotel. I will share your comments with the entire team and specially our receptionists.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel real soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Plaza has been recently renovated and combines the charm of an older hotel with up-to-date convenience. The common areas are bright and clean. My room was quiet and perfectly suited to my needs as a business traveller. The location in the middle of town means restaurants and shopping are just steps away. Should you decide to dine in, the hotel restaurant is bright and airy and serves very good food. The buffet breakfast was included in my rate and was excellent value. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. The next time I am in Kamloops I will stay at the Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bizguy

Dear valued guest, bizguy

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words and feedback. We always strive to provide the most positive and pleasant experience when staying at The Plaza Hotel.

We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Hotel in Kamloops real soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Ahhhh character! I happen to love it. With character comes the some of the drawbacks of older living styles, but I did love the smaller rooms and found that the renovations were done with attention and care to preserve the original architecture and style. This hotel was build in 1928 and I enjoyed the po-mo blend of modern fixtures with art-deco orignal charm. I do admit to being a mite nervous about the parking lot, as the older downtown location has its share of sketchy characters - they were inhabiting a park bench not far from the hotel, I found them to be harmless, although perhaps (judging by some of the comments) intoxicated. (I appreciated that they were very quiet, unlike some of the noisy drunk yahoos I have recently experienced while camping in recreation areas.) I walked my dog on my own that night and found the street to be well-lit. Of course it is always advisable to venture out in a group or in pairs being female, but I felt safe enough to do a short walk. I suspect that this area in Kamloops, like many cities, has had a colourful history, and is undergoing a shift in affluence...luckily they were not blasting Bizet's "Carmen" over loud speakers, to scare away the locals...as is done in certain cities. As it was, our room overlooked the parking lot, and I was reassured to see that our vehicle was left undisturbed!

Musings about the socio-economic eco-cycles of cities aside, we had a delicious meal at the Greek restaurant across the street and a lovely nighttime walk to the river (meeting some more friendly drunken characters en route). My partner and I slept very comfortably in a very clean and airconditioned room. We did not have any issues with street noise, and we were happy to find such a cute hotel that would let us have our chihuahua Oscar stay as well. (We were not called on our cell phones, so we assume that no one complained about our barking dog - who has separation anxiety - perhaps this is another tribute to the soundproofing renovations.) On the down side, we were surprised by the maid opening the door without knocking at 08:00hr. I suppose we should have left our "do not disturb" sign on the door knob.

I also greatly enjoyed the delicious breakfast that was included in the overall price (which was very reasonable) that was served in the Fireside restaurant. The lovely lady who served us was a delight. We will definitely go back to this hotel to explore Kamloops more.

Note: As far as I know there was no swimming pool or fitness centre (as rated in the optional section). However, I can't rate it "N/A" as there is no category so have put it higher to better reflect our overall experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Rowen W

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your very positive and detailed feedback. We value your business and we will do our utmost to ensure the most positive and pleasant experience when staying at the Plaza Hotel.

You are right, there is no swimming pool and fitness centre in the hotel but we have partnered with YMCA which is located 2 blocks from the hotel and has an extensive fitness centre and a swimming pool. Our guests have complimentary access to the entire facility.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel real soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was a host hotel for Hot August Nights Car Show in Kamloops.
We have stayed at this hotel before because it was the host hotel, but it was nothing to write home about and the street noise is always loud and sleep is usually non-existent.

Hotel apparently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation, but other than the lobby and the restaurant, did not look any better.
Vanity was just a sink with a very small cupboard underneath with no room to place personal toiletry items next to the sink above.
Bed however was comfortable.
Rooms are still very small but functional.
Single pane windows have not been upgraded to sound proof windows. .
Street noise is still an issue and sleep is disturbed. Big oversight in the renovation, windows should have been a priority.

If you ask for a room on the inside away from the street, you are greeting with a small room and it has windows, but the windows are frosted and do not open. You cannot look out or open the windows for fresh air. Do not book these inside rooms if you are claustrophobic.

Hotel does have a nice complimentary hot breakfast and did provide 2 nights of security for our custom cars in the parking lot overnight which we appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MLZINK

Dear valued guest, MLZINK

Thank you for staying at the Plaza Hotel during your recent visit to Kamloops, BC.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced during your stay with us – that it was nothing to write home about.

We strive to provide our guests with the finest in service and accommodation that we pride ourselves at The Plaza Hotel. I was disturbed to read that you didn’t like the room you stayed in and I wish we knew about your concerns, we would have gone above and beyond to please you and get you a room with windows that open.

We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel in Kamloops real soon and I will personally look after your stay.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had stayed in that hotel two months, here is what I got the experience.
1. Show me the bigger room and sell me the small one.
The room is small in the hotel, only a few rooms are little bit bigger. We had deal when I make the reservation. They gave me the small room when my family arrived, until I pay more to get the bigger room.

2. My luggage had been left in the Lobby over 3 days.
During the long weekend we left the hotel for traveling, they promised me they would keep our luggage in the storage room. I found our luggage still in the Lobby when we came back to hotel after long weekend. I was shocked!

3. My TISSOT T-Touch watch had been stolen in hotel, they do nothing for it.
The T-Touch watch is worth $1,250 CAD plus Tax, it had been stolen in the room, I reported to the hotel. Guess, what is the first thing they did? They printed my bill to me!
We were waiting 4 days and didn’t get any response, so we called the Police. We wouldn’t see the General Manager of the hotel if the RCMP didn’t get involved! What we get from the GM is “We didn’t have such thing before”, that is it period!

If you want bad experience and want your personal stuff will be stolen, Please go ahead stay in The Plaza Heritage Hotel Kamloops and Good Luck!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Pat L

Dear valued guest – Pat L

I was most distressed to read about your most unfortunate experience at the hotel. Our goal is to provide our guests with the finest in service and personal attention on a consistent basis, but we have evidently fallen short of your expectations. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Please allow me to clarify the situations you experienced at the hotel:

1. The room you stayed in has 2 queen size beds and a pullout sofa bed which is larger than the rooms with one bed and normally these rooms are higher in price than regular rooms.

2. When you and your family left for the long weekend, we left your luggage in a secured area that is off the lobby, has a security camera and watched by our staff 24 hours.

3. You reported your missing watch 6 days after you realized it was gone. We searched the room and we couldn’t find anything and we checked with our Lost & Found Department and there was nothing logged and found. When the authorities/police came to the hotel 10 days after the fact, the hotel fully cooperated with them and I even offered to have the room attendant interrogated but the police declined because there was nothing they could have done.

Again, I would like to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience. We do value your business and would like to wish you all the best.