“Unforgettable Wedding”

South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The perfect place to get married!

The staff was incredible, always friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very comfortable, and the food delicious. But the best part of STIGR is its location! Beautiful and serene, its not far out of Kamloops but it feels like an escape when you walk through the doors. With the high temperatures Kamloops is known for, the many trees provide great shade, and the pool is always welcoming.

My wife and I booked our wedding here after a quick walk around with the food and beverage manager. We had seen many places around Kamloops, even Sun Peaks, and none held up in the natural beauty and service of STIGR.

As mentioned in other reviews, the owner David, is always around and willing to chat or help out if ever there is need.

Would stay again in a heartbeat, and would highly recommend South Thompson Inn if you're looking for a wedding venue.

Room Tip: River view on the south side, quiet foothills on the north. All rooms are joined by a communal pati...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Evan H
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank You, we love your review! Thank you for choosing us for such a special day for the both of you. We appreciate your lovely words, it means so much to our team to hear this. I am always happy to help our guests enjoy their stay with us. I do so little compared to our great team. Dealing with wonderful guests also makes it so much easier for us to enjoy the day as well. We would love to welcome you back anytime Thank you again!

There are newer reviews for South Thompson Inn & Conference Center

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stopped off here for a one night stopover en route from Calgary to Vancouver. We found the staff very friendly and helpful when checking in and when making a reservation to eat in the restaurant. I was a little disappointed in the room, which was very large, but didn't have a fridge or coffee making facilities (although to be fair we did know about the lack of coffee making facilities when we booked). Also disappointed to see that the balcony outside the room was shared with next door, with no partition of any kind, this resulted in me walking along the balcony and not realising that it wasn't all ours! The location is lovely though and looks out over the river. Also the meal in the restaurant deserves a mention and this was also extremely good. We didn't have breakfast the next morning as you had to put your request in by 8pm the previous night and we weren't that organised - well we were on vacation after all!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us. We sure appreciate your very positive comments about our team, the location and your meal in madisen's. We do not have enough breakfast business to bring in a breakfast cook but next time if you have not requested breakfast before 8 pm and you would like it for the morning, please ask the front desk and if possible we will take care of that for you. Breakfasts are one of our most trying issues but have never yet said no to a guest.
If you want a fridge please ask and you will receive. Coffee in the room, please see my reasoning on the home page of our web site. Complimentary quality Italian coffee always available upon request or on our bar in the mornings.
Thanks again, David

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Everytime we travel to Kamloops we ensure we stop at STIGR. It has an amazing location along the river. The hotel is very quaint, do not expect lots of staff tripping over to help you, it more relaxed but they are there if you need them. The restauant is great, good food, fun staff and great views.The location beside Rivershore golf links makes for a great golf weekend too. Would like more of a breakfast service, but they will arrange a light breakfast if you order it the night before. This place is not to be missed.

Room Tip: try for the river side its very peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Love the title of your review. Thank you so much for writing about your time staying with us, we sure appreciate your kind words and love that you mentioned that we are not to be missed. I have mentioned before how breakfast is one of our more difficult items to solve. Both for us and our guests. We are working on it.
At present we do a decent job of our continental breakfasts and are trying to add a couple hot items as well. Hopefully we succeed.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

A little gem. We thoroughly enjoyed our stop. Ideal location to break the drive from Calgary to Vancouver. Good food and extremely friendly staff. They do not generally serve a full breakfast but the owner (who was very amusing) went out if his way to accommodate us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Our chef and staff will appreciate your comment about them. I was so happy to offer you the breakfasts I knew you wanted. (I was afraid of your husband). Actually you also made my morning enjoyable. Thank You.
Next time passing through from South Africa to Vancouver make sure to say hello.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here in late March 2013. Received a good rate including breakfast. Was on route from Vancouver & was approx 45 min away when I received a phone call asking when I would be there and I confirmed around 9:30pm and received a not very warm response of "well, I guess we will have to stay late for you to check in"(not a good start). Got there and the lady was not welcoming. She tried to put me in a queen room instead of what I booked(King room) and got flustered upon me asking about the change. She then said all the pet friendly rooms are queen, which I wasn't told when I booked. I asked for a quiet room and she stuck me next to the ice machine, which made noise periodically through the night and facing the river which the whistle blast from the nearby train could be heard all night. I had confirmed on check in about the complimentary breakfast and she seemed not impressed that I would be receiving it and said the kitchen would have to stay late to make it up that night-It was a continental breakfast with fruit, cereal, a piece of loaf & yogurt-(which was very good) but not sure what they were making up the night before as it took approx 30 min to receive the following morning.

The room was dated with floral bedspreads, no fridge in room, no coffee maker(free coffee at the bar though) leaking shower and the balconies are all shared.

We were looking for a quite overnight on route to Jasper and had driven out of our way for this stay which we will not do again. Not a quiet stay and check in was not friendly or accommodating.

The area is beautiful, maybe other rooms are updated as they show on the internet(in off season try to put quests in your nicer rooms is my suggestion), off season is very quiet, no bar or restaurant open later than 9-10 on premise or near the area, can't use any facilities(hot tub etc).

I let the girl know upon check out that the sleep wasn't the best and she didn't seem to care. Customer Service is definitely lacking or it was on my visit. A real shame for the out of the way drive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SMVP10

Perception and Reality. I hope other guests read my response.
Your comments are difficult for me to equate with what others say about us Guest service is number one for us and it shows by our ranking on Tripadviser.
I will try and address each item mentioned.
Glad you got a great rate and like the area.
You say you stayed in March but only sent in this review in September. This seems to be a long time to be upset about your perception of our service.
We try and call guests that have a late checkin to make sure all is well and give directions if needed.
We definitely do not do it with an attitude Sorry you took it that way.
We are pet friendly and all our pet rooms have two queen beds. Possibly when you made your reservation your pet was not mentioned.
The river side is our most requested side and the train is a long way across the river. Only a couple trains pass in the night and this is the first in 15 years I have heard they blow their whistle. My bedroom faces the same river and I have never heard the train whistle during the night . The mountain side is dead quiet.
None of our front desk team would purposely say anything to make a guest feel we were put out by a request and in your case you were offended by both the staff at night and again in the morning.
None of our inn rooms have floral bedspreads.
We do not have fridges in our rooms but available upon request.
Dining room closes at 10.
Hot tub open 24/7.
You say you will not return. Hopefully others in Kamloops do a better job for you next time you need a place to stay on your trip.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

From start of check in to check out the entire experience was wonderful. We were there for a wedding. The service from front desk to housekeeping,servers and bartenders was perfect. The food was amazing. As far as I understand it was the owner out wiping the chairs that had been rained on. It was crystal clear the entire staff loved their jobs. We were made to feel welcome and special even though there were two other weddings taking place on the same day. I can not say enough to promote this place. I have very high expectations. There truly was not one disappointment. All the rooms I saw were all unique and differently decorated. The rooms were spotless and immaculate in décor. Bravo to South Thompson Inn you have my recommendation. This would make a great stay for people who want a golfing getaway. The golf course is walking distance to hotel. Beautiful setting peaceful relaxing and they have all the amenities a person could ask for. Fabulous scenery! Thanks to all for such a great stay. I wish I could remember our servers name that was giving us such tremendous service. This lady made our night.

Room Tip: the balcony rooms facing the golf course gave a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank annchasebc
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

WOW!

Thank you very much for your great review! You have made our team feel absolutely fabulous! Me as well. I did help wipe a few chairs and the pleasure was actually mine. Anything we can do for great guests like you and your group we will try to do. So very happy our team made your experience with us wonderful!!. What we know is it takes both of us to make things work so well. We can offer the same experience to others and get much different results. You guys were great and fun and our management team discussed how much we appreciated dealing with every one of you.

So thank you.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Rural location on South Thompson river. Rooms are very clean but slightly dated. Evening dining was a delight!
cheers chef!! Everyone @ the resort made us feel welcome, especially the front desk staff. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jay K

Thank you so much for your comments! It appears you stayed in one of our rooms that has not been renovated so please next time ask us for a renovated room. We are almost completely renovated and are working on having all the rooms done soon. Our chef and front desk team appreciate the mention. Would love to see you again!