“Our favorite place”

South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Everytime we travel to Kamloops we ensure we stop at STIGR. It has an amazing location along the river. The hotel is very quaint, do not expect lots of staff tripping over to help you, it more relaxed but they are there if you need them. The restauant is great, good food, fun staff and great views.The location beside Rivershore golf links makes for a great golf weekend too. Would like more of a breakfast service, but they will arrange a light breakfast if you order it the night before. This place is not to be missed.

Room Tip: try for the river side its very peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Love the title of your review. Thank you so much for writing about your time staying with us, we sure appreciate your kind words and love that you mentioned that we are not to be missed. I have mentioned before how breakfast is one of our more difficult items to solve. Both for us and our guests. We are working on it.
At present we do a decent job of our continental breakfasts and are trying to add a couple hot items as well. Hopefully we succeed.

There are newer reviews for South Thompson Inn & Conference Center

Reviewed September 7, 2013

A little gem. We thoroughly enjoyed our stop. Ideal location to break the drive from Calgary to Vancouver. Good food and extremely friendly staff. They do not generally serve a full breakfast but the owner (who was very amusing) went out if his way to accommodate us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Our chef and staff will appreciate your comment about them. I was so happy to offer you the breakfasts I knew you wanted. (I was afraid of your husband). Actually you also made my morning enjoyable. Thank You.
Next time passing through from South Africa to Vancouver make sure to say hello.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here in late March 2013. Received a good rate including breakfast. Was on route from Vancouver & was approx 45 min away when I received a phone call asking when I would be there and I confirmed around 9:30pm and received a not very warm response of "well, I guess we will have to stay late for you to check in"(not a good start). Got there and the lady was not welcoming. She tried to put me in a queen room instead of what I booked(King room) and got flustered upon me asking about the change. She then said all the pet friendly rooms are queen, which I wasn't told when I booked. I asked for a quiet room and she stuck me next to the ice machine, which made noise periodically through the night and facing the river which the whistle blast from the nearby train could be heard all night. I had confirmed on check in about the complimentary breakfast and she seemed not impressed that I would be receiving it and said the kitchen would have to stay late to make it up that night-It was a continental breakfast with fruit, cereal, a piece of loaf & yogurt-(which was very good) but not sure what they were making up the night before as it took approx 30 min to receive the following morning.

The room was dated with floral bedspreads, no fridge in room, no coffee maker(free coffee at the bar though) leaking shower and the balconies are all shared.

We were looking for a quite overnight on route to Jasper and had driven out of our way for this stay which we will not do again. Not a quiet stay and check in was not friendly or accommodating.

The area is beautiful, maybe other rooms are updated as they show on the internet(in off season try to put quests in your nicer rooms is my suggestion), off season is very quiet, no bar or restaurant open later than 9-10 on premise or near the area, can't use any facilities(hot tub etc).

I let the girl know upon check out that the sleep wasn't the best and she didn't seem to care. Customer Service is definitely lacking or it was on my visit. A real shame for the out of the way drive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SMVP10

Perception and Reality. I hope other guests read my response.
Your comments are difficult for me to equate with what others say about us Guest service is number one for us and it shows by our ranking on Tripadviser.
I will try and address each item mentioned.
Glad you got a great rate and like the area.
You say you stayed in March but only sent in this review in September. This seems to be a long time to be upset about your perception of our service.
We try and call guests that have a late checkin to make sure all is well and give directions if needed.
We definitely do not do it with an attitude Sorry you took it that way.
We are pet friendly and all our pet rooms have two queen beds. Possibly when you made your reservation your pet was not mentioned.
The river side is our most requested side and the train is a long way across the river. Only a couple trains pass in the night and this is the first in 15 years I have heard they blow their whistle. My bedroom faces the same river and I have never heard the train whistle during the night . The mountain side is dead quiet.
None of our front desk team would purposely say anything to make a guest feel we were put out by a request and in your case you were offended by both the staff at night and again in the morning.
None of our inn rooms have floral bedspreads.
We do not have fridges in our rooms but available upon request.
Dining room closes at 10.
Hot tub open 24/7.
You say you will not return. Hopefully others in Kamloops do a better job for you next time you need a place to stay on your trip.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

From start of check in to check out the entire experience was wonderful. We were there for a wedding. The service from front desk to housekeeping,servers and bartenders was perfect. The food was amazing. As far as I understand it was the owner out wiping the chairs that had been rained on. It was crystal clear the entire staff loved their jobs. We were made to feel welcome and special even though there were two other weddings taking place on the same day. I can not say enough to promote this place. I have very high expectations. There truly was not one disappointment. All the rooms I saw were all unique and differently decorated. The rooms were spotless and immaculate in décor. Bravo to South Thompson Inn you have my recommendation. This would make a great stay for people who want a golfing getaway. The golf course is walking distance to hotel. Beautiful setting peaceful relaxing and they have all the amenities a person could ask for. Fabulous scenery! Thanks to all for such a great stay. I wish I could remember our servers name that was giving us such tremendous service. This lady made our night.

Room Tip: the balcony rooms facing the golf course gave a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank annchasebc
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

WOW!

Thank you very much for your great review! You have made our team feel absolutely fabulous! Me as well. I did help wipe a few chairs and the pleasure was actually mine. Anything we can do for great guests like you and your group we will try to do. So very happy our team made your experience with us wonderful!!. What we know is it takes both of us to make things work so well. We can offer the same experience to others and get much different results. You guys were great and fun and our management team discussed how much we appreciated dealing with every one of you.

So thank you.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Rural location on South Thompson river. Rooms are very clean but slightly dated. Evening dining was a delight!
cheers chef!! Everyone @ the resort made us feel welcome, especially the front desk staff. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jay K

Thank you so much for your comments! It appears you stayed in one of our rooms that has not been renovated so please next time ask us for a renovated room. We are almost completely renovated and are working on having all the rooms done soon. Our chef and front desk team appreciate the mention. Would love to see you again!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband & I along with 3 other couples stayed on the 6th August. We arrived at 20:50, ten minutes before the kitchen was due to close on a Tuesday night, but were warmly received and assured that we were welcome to take our time. The service, food and range of wines was worthy of a much bigger establishment.
Our rooms were tasteful & restful.
Breakfast was plentiful & delicious, which was served to us on the balcony overlooking the river. Again, the service was cheerful, with nothing being a problem.
Would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patricia M
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

What a great review I would like to thank you very much for taking your time to write such wonderful words about your stay with us. Makes all of us at STIGR feel really good.
Sure happy our chef and servers looked after you as they did. I will thank them for you and for me. We have a policy to never say no to a guest if it is possible and legal to do. Thanks for noticing

David

We welcome you back anytime, thank you again!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for my 10th Anniversary and enjoyed the hotel and the area. Room was comfortable, no complaints there at all.

My complaint is simply that on the morning of our checkout, the power had gone out at 4AM. Fortunately I woke up early naturally (as we had somewhere to get to by 10am) and realized the problem. When I woke up the emergency lighting still worked.

However, by the time I was loading the car, the emergency power was gone, hallways were pitch black and I realized the water pressure was zero (they use a well system it turns out. Needless to say, lack of water in the morning sucks, and lack of emergency lighting is a hazard. Management needs to get an emergency generator set up ASAP and make sure the lighting and water pump at least are able to function in short order in future outages.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your comments about you enjoying us and the area. We called a number of established hotels in Kamloops and none had a generator. When asked what they did in power outage a couple said the “just wait it out”.
Each said the same about emergency lighting. It lasts a while then dies. Now this is not a big help when you are the one without power but helps us know what others do and we are not offside on the generator issue . Fortunately the power does not go out all that often and to install a generator system to make a difference would cost tens of thousands of dollars. I understand our front desk staff did all they could to help. We do have flashlights but it sounds like you were not offered one. Sorry about that. Hope you return and BC hydro keeps the power on. To their credit they were on the job quickly to get us and the neighbourhood back up and running.