“One night stay - excellent”

South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Lovely feel to the place, not so modern but has a lot of character.
The balconies have stunning views across the river or mountains.
Very nice swimming pool and hot tub, gym well equipped too.
Service was the best part, willing to help for anything, get you coffees too!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Charlie H
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for commenting about your stay with us on Tripadvisor. Our team loves that you mentioned the service being the best part, they strive very hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and enjoying themselves. We built the gym as I would want it so couples or friends can work out together. Most of our rooms have been redone so if not modern you may have stayed in an original Laura Ashley designed room. Hopefully all will be redone in the next couple years. I try and do 2 or 3 a winter

There are newer reviews for South Thompson Inn & Conference Center

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Family of four stayed here on way through to Banff. We had chosen STIGR because we wanted somewhere out of Kamloops and with a pleasant setting. It certainly delivers on those fronts and the overall impression is very good. Where points were lost was on service. We waited too long to get served at both dinner and breakfast even though we'd booked. Both times staff actually came back to the table after we'd been waiting for a considerable time to ask what we had ordered the first time round. To be fair to the staff, there was a big wedding on at the Inn over the weekend and they seemed run off their feet. Air conditioning unit in the bedroom was also quite noisy.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

We are very sorry that you were disappointed in the service you received during your dinner and your breakfast. Our team tries very hard so that our guests have a wonderful time with us during their stay. I understand your group was about 20 minutes late for your reservation and got caught right in the service of the wedding. Have not heard why your breakfast was late.
Again I apologize and hope you will give us another chance in the future. We do appreciate your comments.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was part of a foursome that golfed next door at the Rivershore Golf Club and our accommodation was at the South Thompson Inn. The service and staff were excellent. Our rooms on the mountain side and although not luxurious, were comfortable and inviting. We particularly liked the wrap-around balconies and sat out there to enjoy the pleasant scenery and ambiance both evenings while there.
The staff was excellent and as an oversight had occurred resulting in our room not having fresh towels upon our return after the first day, the front desk clerk came and delivered fresh towels and an apology herself.
The food in the restaurant was excellent as was the service by Kylie (sp?) and Christine. They made us feel very much like valued guests. The Kamloops Trout was an exceptional meal as were the steaks. We were off early in the morning so chose not to have breakfast at the hotel.
We were particularly impressed when the owner (David) stopped in the parking lot to introduce himself and ask if everything was OK and if there was anything additional he could do for us. This was a nice touch.
Well worth the extra drive and the quiet of the country location was welcome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sunrunner007

I really enjoyed reading your review about your stay with us. We sure enjoy getting great comments about our team. Everyone sure cares about our guests and this feedback. Sorry about missing your towels but happy we were allowed to sort it out. The trout in my favorite but I eat it plain without the capers. Our steaks come for a custom meat store, Summit Gourmet Meats, not a regular restaurant supply. Our team will be happy to read your praise. We would love to have you come and stay again! David

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just had to share that I was terribly disappointed in the staff at this hotel. Yes it is beautiful - but I don't think I have even been treated so poorly by a service establishment in my life.
Dogs may be welcome, but Children certainly are NOT.
First I went to get a non-alcoholic drink, (I was there for a wedding,, and the only place to get anything to drink was around the coner in a bar area of the lobby. I was quickly asked to remove my small children from the bar area. Okay.. so I had to ask someone else to get me a Pepsi. The kids were even given drink tokens,,, but I had to ask someone else to get them for me.
Then it was hot and crowed in the reception room so I stepped outside with the kids so that they wouldn't interupt the speaches, It was then that some exceptionally rude manager type informed me that my child needed to have shoes on to be here. Well he did, but he is two and had slipped them off a little earlier. She informed me that due to health regulations they were required. Well I understand that, but I explained to her, why I was outside and that it would just be for a moment and we would stay on the deck area. She kept at me so I offered to hold my child to appease her. (Bewware of a older woman with curly hair and glasses).
Later that night I had two almost alsleep children in my arms, and was attempting to walk to the car with them. We were at the back of the room and I was leaving through the main doors, which happen to go in front of the bar area (no signs, barriers, or anything.. it is part of the main lobby), when this woman stops me agian and insists I turn around and go out another way!
It is 10 small steps through that area and I was at least half way through to the lobby. So I turned and packed both kids, through the crowed wedding to a back door and off to the truck.
I have never been treated so rudely in my life and will not be returning and do not recommend you do either. And if you are thinking about having a wedding there.... think twice if you are inviting anyone with children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thanks for the beautiful comment and hopefully you enjoyed everything else to do with the wedding and of course our food.
I appreciate the confusion about children in the lounge but we must protect our liquor license.
I notice you mentioned it happened twice so I have to believe you knew about it the second time.
In the past we have had parents bring children in the lounge and once told about the liquor laws understand our position
As far as the shoes are concerned I will see if I can find out who spoke with you to get the whole story
The only person who sort of fits your description is the security person hired for the wedding.
You do understand that for health reasons feet need to be covered in food service areas. Even little ones.
I am really sorry you feel the way you do and I will see if we could have been a bit more sensitive in our dealings with you

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Once again our Hertz satnav couldn't find it.

We had a lovely room with a large balcony overlooking the river. 2 double beds for 3 people with basket/loom bed, table and chairs and chest of drawers. An interconnecting room if required. Good air conditioning. No fridge; or tea/coffee making which was available on the bar in the am. Large 42" flat screen Samsung TV. Unfortunately the swimming pool had developed a leak and was being refurbished.

This is quite wheelchair friendly because the bathroom was big enough for a wheelchair to manoeuvre with a high toilet. There was a Jacuzzi in the bath.

You can order a continental breakfast and there's a good selection for the dinner menu - something for everyone.

Very friendly and helpful staff.

The only downside is that it is not convenient if you are just passing through for the night because you have to go back 20 minutes to get to Highway 1 and civilisation. It's fine if you don't mind being off the beaten track.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for all the great comments about your stay with us. If you visit again please ask the front desk to put a mini fridge in your room for your arrival. They will be happy to do that for you. We have put a new liner in our pool so it is ready for business!
We will pass on the friendly and helpful staff comments.
Highway one is just over the bridge 6 klms away. Downtown Kamloops is about 15 minutes.

Hope to see you again.
Thanks David

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have stayed at the South Thompson Inn several summers in a row now. The main reason we stay here is that they accept dogs, even large rambunctious ones like ours. The staff are great and have a really pet friendly attitude and don't make you feel like a leper because of your dogs. That is why we come back year after year.

The South Thompson Inn is a long, low white building set on the banks of the Thompson River. The setting is beautiful, another reason we continue to return year after year. The river is scenic, as are the dry hills behind the hotel. The place is set up as a Kentucky horse ranch. The fields behind the hotel are lined with paddocks in which horses graze. There is a golf course on the site. The rooms all open onto large shared balconies with glass railings that don't obscure the view.

One of the drawbacks of traveling with dogs is that they put in a "pet" room, which is never the greatest but that is the price you pay for traveling with dogs.

My only complaint about the South Thompson Inn is that it is a little overpriced for a what you get (no amenities such as mini-fridge, coffee maker, etc in the room except a nice big TV). My other complaint is that the décor (at least in our "pet" room) is highly dated with a cloying floral theme. Also, it is a ways out of town and a little difficult to find.

Dinner was delicious but the $10 continental breakfast was not really worth the money. You get a bowl of cereal, a small bowl of fruit, juice, tea and coffee. Nothing special, although sitting out on the deck is enjoyable and the view is gorgeous.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We are definitely pet friendly. How can we not be we have acres to run as well as horses and llamas of our own.
We do have dedicated pet rooms but not purposely less than others. We do have a few original “Laura Ashley” rooms. I don’t like them either so redecorating a few every year. Almost all gone.
Next visit ask to see a few additional rooms.
Prices do vary with the seasons and as far as fridges are concerned we do have them available for a small charge.
Coffee available upon request and is always complementary in our lobby every morning.
Happy you enjoyed your dinner. We have a great Executive Chef.
The continental breakfasts include yogurt and a muffin or homemade banana bread as well. I wish we had a better breakfast solution. Next time if our chef is in the kitchen in the morning she may be able to prepare something different

Thanks for your comments David

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The room was very comfortable. The service and staff are excellent! Was not impressed with the continental breakfast. Overall, a very good experience. I would recommend this Inn in a heartbeat. The location, next to the Rivershore Estates and Golf Links, is ideal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Very happy you were comfortable while staying with us and of course love your comment of the service and staff. Thank you for letting us know you would recommend us in a heartbeat.
Sorry about the continental breakfast not being to your liking. Next time you visit us ask if anything else is available. Breakfast is tough for us and if our chef or one of her team are in we can make changes for you.