“Fantastic Property, Accomodations and Staff”

South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My family and I have stayed here many times and each time has been an exceptional and relaxing experience! I've also attended conferences here and have been so impressed with the surroundings, staff and location that we have held our staff summer and Christmas parties here at the inn. The location is excellent for a peaceful getaway or a golf weekend. Only a short drive (15-20 mins.) to downtown Kamloops if one feels the need for shopping, gambling or theater. The rooms are spacious and offer Kentucky style balconies overlooking the river in the back or gardens in the front. The restaurant is intimate and offers great food with impeccable service. Everyone from the front desk to the groundskeeper was very friendly, helpful and professional. Love this place!!!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river are great to have your morning coffee, especially during the summer month...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Margaret, thank you so much for taking your time to write such a fabulous review of your stay with us!! So happy to know how much you Love your time here. I will be passing your comments on to our team. Thank you for choosing STIGR for your personal time away as well as for your business functions. Look forward to seeing you next time. Hopefully our chef doesn’t read this as he already thinks he is wonderful.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have stayed here at least six times in the last year. Everytime has been a wonderful experience. It is like our "home" in Kamloops. This last time we had a business breakfast meeting for 40 associates. Everything went according to plan. The staff, venue and surroundings made it a fantastic event. Even the things that were'nt according to plan, like an extra five guests who arrived unexpected and late, were easily accomodated and welcomed. I would recomend this hotel to anyone. Meeting David the owner and Mike the manager enables you to see how the culture of service and friendliness is created. We have not used the spa or hot tub yet. Maybe next time. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with jacuzzi bath facing the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Six times. How great is this. We appreciate every guest who stays once never mind 6 times. Hopefully we never let you down. When extra people show up for meetings we are always willing and happy to make sure they are looked after. I sure appreciate the mention of our team as we are all so very interested in guest service. Mike is a prime example. There is nothing too much trouble for Mike to look after for our guests. Actually our entire team have this willingness to make sure our guests are happy. Without guests like you we are not needed

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at the resort to attend a family wedding. Easy to find but know that its about 20k from town. Room was very quaint with nice hardwood floors, comfortable beds and plenty of towels. We requested a fridge in the room (for insulin) and were obliged but there is a $10/day charge. I would recommend that the hotel provide an information sheet or booklet in the room with dining info, pool hours and what amenities were available. Staff was friendly but from desk was often unmanned so it wasnt always easy to get a simple question answered. Continental breakfast is available for $10 person (no discount for children) but it's served as opposed to a buffet. Apparently the golf course club house next door also has a restaurant but we didn't find out until the day we left. Food at the resort was very good but restaurant service was quite slow. Pool area was very nice and the view from the shared veranda was beautiful. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for this TripAdvisor response. We always appreciate our guests taking the time for these reports. I am disappointed that you paid $10 for your fridge for your insulin. We do have a $10 fridge charge but we are supposed to waive this for medical reasons. Sorry and I would appreciate you speaking to Gerda our Front Desk manager to get a refund.
The pool is open whenever you want it open as is the hot tub. If covered either ask and it will be removed or remove it and we will put back. Up to you. Our front desk people are busy but carry a portable phone with them at all times. Dial zero and there they are. I am pleased you will return and this will give us an opportunity to improve on the less than perfect experience.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This was the most beautiful place I have ever stayed at. It was so nice having everything in one place for the wedding.The wedding party stayed at the Manor House which was phenomenal. The food at the reception was top notch, delicious and thoroughly enjoyed by all. The ceremony was outside by the river and couldn't have been more beautiful. My room was very, very nice with a great view.The bed was sooo comfortable and the decor so pretty.The staff were so helpful and accommodating, I thought the service was great. As mother of the groom I couldn't have been more pleased with everything and all the guests I talked to felt the same. A truly wonderful weekend. The peaceful surroundings were perfect to balance a hectic weekend. If there was one thing I would have liked was a cafe on the premises for easy access to breakfast and lunch. I thank you so much South Thompson Inn for making this such a memorable weekend for me.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river was so very peaceful and relaxing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Linda I don’t think you can appreciate how much this means to our team. I saw your new daughter-in-law and three of her wedding party sitting on a blanket overlooking the river, in the sun just visiting and relaxing. I mentioned to my wife how perfect this looked.
We did serve lunch to some of your guests but we apologize for not having made the guests in the Manor House aware of this.
Our chef is a Red Seal chef and will appreciate your mention of his skills.
Thank you for being here for such an important event and do appreciate you being so nice. Weddings are stressful for many but you and your family were so relaxed it made our involvement so much easier

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The South Thompson Inn was a fantastic place to hold an international conference for builders of bamboo fly rods. The Inn's staff was helpful and knowledgeable, assisting us as conference organizers with our audio-visual needs as well as with lodging and meals for conference participants. These people know how to host conferences and make people feel at home at the same time.

Room Tip: Book in advance. This place is popular.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thanks Hugh for taking the time to support us on TripAdvisor. We sure appreciate when our guests give us such positive comments. Our team are always so excited to get this kind of feedback. Of course your group made it easy as you were so great to deal with. David

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our family always stay at the south thompson inn when we are travelling with our horses to shows. The girls absolutely love the facility for their horses. We can highly recommend this Inn for anyone doing the same. The other services for people are not always great. Food has always been an issue although they try very hard. Kids love the pool of course and the view of the river is always a treat. They really need to have a breakfast service. The continental and coffee stand are lousy and below standard.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jumpinhorsedad

You say you always stay with us so this is more difficult for me to answer. Next time please ask to speak with me so we can discuss your concerns.
Our reputation for food has always been great although food service is sometimes the most difficult part of a business as everyone has a different opinion on food.
I do not understand the coffee station comment, especially using the word “lousy”. We always have fresh LaVazza coffee in the mornings as well as fresh cream and milk, not the little packaged creamers.
LaVazza is one of the finest Italian beans available. Best of all it’s all complimentary. In addition we have about 12 different high end tea’s and powdered chocolate if you want hot chocolate. We even have three or four sweeteners including honey
I will put a photo or photos of our coffee station on the TripAdvisor site.
The continental breakfast are not hot breakfasts but are made of high quality products and for most people is more than enough. We would love to have hot breakfast but so few eat breakfast it does not work for us. We tried it.
Hopefully your horses enjoyed their stay.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked this hotel based on trip advisor. This was an over night stop on the journey from Vancouver to Banff. Staff: were friendly so when I asked about bags we were directed to a baggage kart, so no help with bags, not a good start. The room: something from the eighties, bathroom: counters were lower that standard. Food: evening the foods was what you should expect from this level of hotel, however Breakfast is limited to cold food, I expect that the chef doesn’t work in the morning and all breakfasts are prepared in the evening. Changing this and offering a cooked breakfast should be considered. The only problem with the room was the pillows, they had a smell to them. I would also add that the chairs in the Bourbon Lounge need to be replaced, they have had better days.

Room Tip: Starbucks is only 20 km away, so getting good coffee is easy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WasteAccountant
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

TripAdvisor is a great way to book properties and to pass on your observations so thank you for taking the time to give us your opinions
First we do not have a bellman but always have someone available to carry luggage if requested. So if you return please ask and it will happen.

At one time all our rooms were designed in Laura Ashley décor. Great at the time in the mid 90’s and still enjoyed by many today. For me not so great anymore and that is why there are only 5 or 6 remaining Laura Ashley designed rooms. Every year we redo 3 or 4 rooms to a great current look. By next spring there will probably only be a couple left. You must have had one of them.

I notice you are from the UK. Our bathroom vanities are the standard height for Canadian and US bathrooms.

I am happy you enjoyed your dinner with us. We do have a Red Seal chef. Great food.

Regarding the breakfast is concerned we do not offer a hot breakfast. Never have. The very good continental breakfasts are fresh though.

As far as the pillows are concerned this is the first time having heard our pillows have an odor. I checked with our executive housekeeper who said what you may be smelling is the Bounce we use for all our linen. Again maybe not something used regularly in the UK.

I took a look at the chairs in the Bourbon lounge and found them in fine shape. They are wicker in keeping with our Kentucky style Inn.

I am truly sorry you found so many things you did not like and hope it does not affect you using TripAdvisor in the future and of course giving us another chance if in the area.

I don’t understand the coffee comment. We offer complimentary very high end Italian roasted Lavazza coffee. We taste tested quite a few brands of coffee including Starbucks before deciding on Lavazza. Great coffee.