South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
The Plaza Hotel(Kamloops)
$86
$84
  • Breakfast included
Pacific Inn & Suites Kamloops(Kamloops)(Great Value!)
$69
$62
Hotwire.com
All reviewsthe rivermanor housedriving rangeguest ranchhardwood floorstrouthot tubstayed longercontinental breakfastwe've stayedyogurtone night staylong driveroad tripllamasretreatwedding
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The South Thompson Inn was a fantastic place to hold an international conference for builders of bamboo fly rods. The Inn's staff was helpful and knowledgeable, assisting us as conference organizers with our audio-visual needs as well as with lodging and meals for conference participants. These people know how to host conferences and make people feel at home at the same time.

Room Tip: Book in advance. This place is popular.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thanks Hugh for taking the time to support us on TripAdvisor. We sure appreciate when our guests give us such positive comments. Our team are always so excited to get this kind of feedback. Of course your group made it easy as you were so great to deal with. David

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our family always stay at the south thompson inn when we are travelling with our horses to shows. The girls absolutely love the facility for their horses. We can highly recommend this Inn for anyone doing the same. The other services for people are not always great. Food has always been an issue although they try very hard. Kids love the pool of course and the view of the river is always a treat. They really need to have a breakfast service. The continental and coffee stand are lousy and below standard.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jumpinhorsedad
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

You say you always stay with us so this is more difficult for me to answer. Next time please ask to speak with me so we can discuss your concerns.
Our reputation for food has always been great although food service is sometimes the most difficult part of a business as everyone has a different opinion on food.
I do not understand the coffee station comment, especially using the word “lousy”. We always have fresh LaVazza coffee in the mornings as well as fresh cream and milk, not the little packaged creamers.
LaVazza is one of the finest Italian beans available. Best of all it’s all complimentary. In addition we have about 12 different high end tea’s and powdered chocolate if you want hot chocolate. We even have three or four sweeteners including honey
I will put a photo or photos of our coffee station on the TripAdvisor site.
The continental breakfast are not hot breakfasts but are made of high quality products and for most people is more than enough. We would love to have hot breakfast but so few eat breakfast it does not work for us. We tried it.
Hopefully your horses enjoyed their stay.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked this hotel based on trip advisor. This was an over night stop on the journey from Vancouver to Banff. Staff: were friendly so when I asked about bags we were directed to a baggage kart, so no help with bags, not a good start. The room: something from the eighties, bathroom: counters were lower that standard. Food: evening the foods was what you should expect from this level of hotel, however Breakfast is limited to cold food, I expect that the chef doesn’t work in the morning and all breakfasts are prepared in the evening. Changing this and offering a cooked breakfast should be considered. The only problem with the room was the pillows, they had a smell to them. I would also add that the chairs in the Bourbon Lounge need to be replaced, they have had better days.

Room Tip: Starbucks is only 20 km away, so getting good coffee is easy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WasteAccountant
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

TripAdvisor is a great way to book properties and to pass on your observations so thank you for taking the time to give us your opinions
First we do not have a bellman but always have someone available to carry luggage if requested. So if you return please ask and it will happen.

At one time all our rooms were designed in Laura Ashley décor. Great at the time in the mid 90’s and still enjoyed by many today. For me not so great anymore and that is why there are only 5 or 6 remaining Laura Ashley designed rooms. Every year we redo 3 or 4 rooms to a great current look. By next spring there will probably only be a couple left. You must have had one of them.

I notice you are from the UK. Our bathroom vanities are the standard height for Canadian and US bathrooms.

I am happy you enjoyed your dinner with us. We do have a Red Seal chef. Great food.

Regarding the breakfast is concerned we do not offer a hot breakfast. Never have. The very good continental breakfasts are fresh though.

As far as the pillows are concerned this is the first time having heard our pillows have an odor. I checked with our executive housekeeper who said what you may be smelling is the Bounce we use for all our linen. Again maybe not something used regularly in the UK.

I took a look at the chairs in the Bourbon lounge and found them in fine shape. They are wicker in keeping with our Kentucky style Inn.

I am truly sorry you found so many things you did not like and hope it does not affect you using TripAdvisor in the future and of course giving us another chance if in the area.

I don’t understand the coffee comment. We offer complimentary very high end Italian roasted Lavazza coffee. We taste tested quite a few brands of coffee including Starbucks before deciding on Lavazza. Great coffee.

David

Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

We were up there with our soccer team and the kids loved it. It was very quite. It is 20 min out of town but worth the drive.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us Your kids were so well behaved they and you are always welcome back. Also understand you won the tournament. Probably because you stayed with us. Maybe not, it was probably their talent and hard work. Thanks David

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The staff worked really hard, were friendly and couldn't do enough for you. While my husband was taking part in the fishing rod-builders' meeting, I particularly enjoyed the grounds where I spotted over 30 species of waterfowl and other birds and was able to pet the horses. If only I had noticed the bicycles sooner, I would have loved to borrow one to explore the Inn's surroundings. Had I been staying longer, or if the weather had been bad, I would have enjoyed using the gym.

My husband, who was presenting a paper at the conference, was also very happy with the venue and its facilities and equipment.

We both enjoyed the meals, although more emphasis on healthy options would have been even better (we had a fixed menu because that was part of the negotiated deal for the conference).

Room Tip: We stayed on the north side of the building which is probably quieter than the south side - we couldn't hear anything except the lawn mower mowing the golf tee-ing range next door. Although the south side faces the river, there is a railway line on the far side of the river with the occasional train. There is no road noise as the property is set far back from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Love hearing that you appreciated all the water fowl and many other bird species we are blessed to have . Your group was great to have and look forward to your return in a couple years. You will be able to enjoy our new nature walk which is currently under construction. If you want something a bit different for your meals just let us know and our chef will prepare something for you. Thanks for your comments, always very much appreciated. David