“Uncomfortable!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Cloyne, Canada
“Uncomfortable!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We booked thru Choicehotels.com and could not cancel after we got there and viewed the hotel and room 120. Please listen to us-do not go here! We felt uncomfortable and somewhat unsafe in this particular facility. It's old dingy and rundown. In the morning I walked I to the office, the Econolodge breakfast area, and there was not one thing to eat!! even though a continental breakfast was to be included.
My recommendation......avoid this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Viborg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Probably good we didn't see the reviews first! Then we'd have gone someplace else.
Good thing we didn't though. We were tired after a long drive from Sidney on the island. Kamloops was to be our stop for the night. First 3 hotels were full, so we went for our usual Best Western, but thought their price for once was on the steep side. There are a lot of hotels in Kamloops so one of us said: Why don't we try....... ? Yeah, why not.
Guy at the front desk was nice, and as soon as I mentioned AAA he took 10$ off the price. We asked to see the room before we decided -no problem. The room was fine and smelled clean so we moved in. My wife's got an eagles eye when it comes to dirt, but here was no remarks.
Later we sat on the small balcony and enjoyed a nightcap, looking across a few 100meters of highway and shrubs, to the impressive building of Best Western.
We needed a couple of beds and a shower in a clean room -and that's what we found. At a most decent price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Manga, the owner of this specific location not only argued about my reservation but straight-up lied to me and my family.

I had made a reservation with this particular location a week prior to the stay over the phone. He took my credit card information but wouldn't give me an email confirmation - I obviously asked for a name (Manga) and confirmed the tel# and address.

When I showed up on the date-of, the young boy at the counter didn't know anything about my reservation. He made me use my own cell phone to call the other Econo Lodge and Inn location to see if I've misbooked. Afraid that I had made a mistake, I phoned the other location and they said that I've made a reservation. I got frustarted because I had given my credit card information over the phone to someone at THIS location. The service got worse. The boy kept saying that I didn't make a reservation and I obviously wanted to see that they had my info. As soon as another customer came into the lobby/shady office - he abandoned me and ignored me!!! He finally got the owner to show up.

The first thing the owner said was "What is your problem?" Maybe he meant to be more polite but that is exactly what he said. I said that I made a reservation - and he asked me to PROVE IT! I said I didn't get an email confirmation from Manga. He looks at the name was like "I don't know this person". So now I'm freaking out thinking they let a stranger into their location to make reservation!! I demaned to know how that happened. THE OWNER STARTED TO YELL AT ME (To be fair, I was also loud). I tried to listen to part of his reasoning but his words told me that a) hes calling me a liar and that I didn't make a reservation b) hes screaming at me to ask for proof that I had called previously and c) that he can't do anything for me.

he told me had an opening but at this point. I didn't even want to stay. I just wanted my credit card information back from this place. When I said I was going to post a review, he went to his folder and MAGICALLY found my reservation slip that he had forgotten to put into the system. I asked again about this Manga guy and how he could forget to put into the computer. This is what the owner said "He used to work here, but he went back to University. I no longer know him"

Anyways, when they finally found my credit information I said I didn't want to stay there anymore. The guy didn't even offer an apology and just said "you were right", I asked him to apologize - and he did - but he was laughing and wasn't even sincere. He offered to let me and my mother stay for free but we didn't want to stay at a place like that anymore where they had no system (might I also add, another guest kept coming down with issues during this entire process).

In the very end, when he was ensuring me that my credit card wouldn't be charged he told me HE IS MANGA. THE GUY HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW AND HAD GONE BACK TO UNIVERSITY.
Who would lie to their guest like that?

He offered to let me stay in one of his room for free but there was no way I was going to stay at this point. This definitely ruined my entire trip in Kamloops,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kengie L

Travelers are raving about these Kamloops hotels

Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Clean, comfortable beds and room. Would recommend for anyone that doesnt expect high end.
Fridges are new and location is great to just walk to malls or grocery stores. Owner very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hazelton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We rolled into Kamloops late at night on the last leg of an exhausting trip. While feeding our tired kids we looked up available hotels and this was one of the few that showed vacancy online - and it was close to the restaurant. There were a ton of 1 star bad reviews, but we were so tired we booked it and crossed the street and checked in. We were prepared for mould, spiders, dirty room etc. etc.

Checking in - the front desk staff was very friendly and made sure we were in a big enough room to fit our kids. The room smelled and looked clean and we never noticed anything dirty or out of place - and certainly no insects or other things. The fridge even worked and kept our food cold over night. The beds seemed great - we slept so well and even slept in a few hours!

When we finally rolled out the door (after check out time) we discovered every other guest gone and our truck battery dead. I went to the front desk and the owner was SO helpful - he brought his car over right away with a smile and had to leave his car running for a long time before the diesel truck would start. I offered him money but he refused and said "money is not the most important thing, helping people is." We talked for quite a while and he is a new owner of the hotel and the restaurant next door - they just arrived there from Vancouver.

So in closing, we got an inexpensive room, slept very well, didn't notice a single thing wrong, and were bailed out by a very helpful and kind owner. Not bad at all for a budget hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Northern_Dad_BC
Agassiz, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

arrived at hotel found old food in fridge ,dirty glassess in the cupboard that had lip prints on the rim , found big spiders above beds , no cream and sugar and the cloths in the washroom were marked rags . when we contacted the front desk they pretty much told us nothing could be done . after a few minutes the owner came over to are room we showed him all that was wrong , he asked what we we would like done to fix this matter . we said we would like a small discount nothing major , his response was NO DISCOUNT , he gave us 2 choices #1 to get a full re embersment and to get the heck out , which was not a option since all places were booked . #2 to have them clean the room again . when we asked again if a small discount could be gotten and have the room cleaned , the owner became angree and told us that the cleaning is not his fault due to the fact that he is going through new maids on a daily basis , and the maids were busy today . i simply stated that , we should not have to be the one that should have to put up with this , the owners response was that he wants us out of the room now . i notified him that he needs valid grounds to evict , he stated no he does'nt ,he's been in the hospitality industry for 20 years and he will just say my wife was smoking in the room . i stated to him that she smokes only outside in stated areas at that piont 2 other people also stated that they saw my wife only smoking outside . i notified him again that what he was trying to do was illegal , he responded by threatning me with his lawyer . he told us to leave the room so it can be cleaned after we showed him the old food , we left him in the room and as we were by are vehicle we saw him walking away leaving the room open . upon return to are room we found the old food sitting on the table and the rags still in the bathroom . the hot tub was cold and dirty and the big pool was also cold , several people that were exiting the pools also stated the pools were to cold to swim . we stayed at this hotel many times in the past when it was under diffrent ownership , it may not have looked as nice on the outside , but we never ever had a problem with the owners .

Room Tip: go somewhere else , other than here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gary K
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Heater was working too low.The room of the hotel was too cool in winter.I will suggest if you will book this hotel then most probaly you will be cheated yourself.I have seen that kind of worst type of hotel.

Room Tip: They should renovate the complete hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family