“Great place to stay in Kanloops”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 540

Hotel 540
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay in Kanloops”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Kanloops was a brief stop for us on the way to the Rocky mountains.
The 540 hotel is nice, clean, the bed was good, breakfast nice and has a nice fitness room.
Parking was a bit of a pain as the car park was full.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked a surprise night here for my partner and I following a long stint at work with no time off. The front desk service was efficient and friendly and the hotel was well-maintained. The Valet/doorman was super nice and very helpful, we asked him about good places to eat and he told us about a music event happening that night.

When we got to our room I was disappointed, it was nowhere near as big as expected. Having booked a Club King, I was expecting the 50m2 room that I asked for. However, we were put in a Standard Room. We asked the front desk about our room size, and they changed rooms for us. I still don't believe the room was the size I booked, but we settled. I should have just booked a Standard Room and saved money.

The power was out all night, and when we returned from dinner the man on the desk was pretty frustrated with the situation, but asked if we needed help to our room. We declined, and the helpful doorman helped us any way.

The pool area and gym were really nice, I worked out in the gym and found all the equipment to be clean and well-maintained.

Breakfast was good, I can't eat dairy and had to adjust a menu item. No complaints or errors from our server.

Overall, nice stay but wouldn't waste my money on an upgraded room size again. Even paying to add $10 to park and breakfast to a standard room would have been cheaper.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here overnight as part of a tour and t previous hotels we visited were rather poor. This hotel was really very good. The staff were very helpful, the room very nicely furnished and spotlessly clean with an exceptionally comfortable bed.....Kamloops was not flash but this hotel was. The TV in our room did not work, but we only stayed overnight so not a major problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
La Mesa, CA.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here one night as part of a Rocky Mountaineer package tour.

Front desk was extremely helpful, rooms of good size and well maintained. The air conditioner was a bit noisy but typical of most hotels.

Location is in Downtown Kamloops and is quite convenient, we had stayed once before in Kamloops but at a location way, way out on the edge of town.

There is a casino attached, which we did not use.

The restaurant was certainly acceptable, not 5 stars by any means, but they went out of their way to meet my wife's request for an item not on the menu. The food was well presented, service was good, and the setting decent enough.

A plus in my opinion is free internet service available in their small business center in the lobby very convenient as I do not lug a laptop when I travel for pleasure.

A negative is no laundry facility on premises, but the front desk was very helpful with directions, and finding the closing time for a coin laundry about 2 1/2 blocks away.

On the whole a good choice of a medium priced hotel to stay in if you are in the Kamloops area.

1 Thank Ted C
Lacombe, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The refurbished rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The downtown location is great, with lots of restaurants within walking distance, although the downside is some traffic noise. We enjoyed the outside terrace with the pool and hot tub, which is a great facility. The only complaints would be the very noisy air conditioning and the narrow "queen" beds, which resulted in a rather restless night, but maybe we should have paid the extra for a king! If you want a downtown location, this would be a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel have less traffic noise
1 Thank Bernie P
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The 540 gets the highest ratings I have ever given a hotel. It is located right downtown Kamloops. We were on the 5th floor. We stayed 3 nights for a seminar and had a deluxe room with a King bed. Great room, A/C needed and worked efficiently, comfortable bed, and pillows so wonderful I asked the hotel if I could purchase some from them and went home with four. Bathroom spotless, nice toiletries, fluffy towels, hair dryer. Coffee and tea centre; fridge. Very quiet. Dined every day in the "blue" restaurant. Meals were fantastic and servers so friendly and attentive. We signed up for a "deal" on parking and $10 breakfasts (for anything on the breakfast menu). We enjoyed trying out a different breakfast every day. The omelet was so huge it would have fed 3. The ambience of the restaurant deserves its own mention, as the decor was so Zen, as was the music playing. So relaxing. We had lunch and dinner served to our group by the Hotel and the food and service was second to none. There is a very nice eating area on the 2nd floor by the pool, where we were served a BBQ dinner. Our meeting room was very comfortable and nicely air conditioned. All around a great hotel experience. Would definitely stay again ... and again.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front facing the street, and a bit of street noise could be heard from "cr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel was an overnight stay through Rocky Mountaineer Gold Leaf package. I had a room service meal which was delivered within the time quoted by very friendly server and it was perfectly acceptable. The room was good, the bathroom had all the expected accoutrements and the bed was comfortable. That said, it was part of an expensive package and was to be expected. The exceptional bit came later:
After I started unpacking at my Vancouver location I found I had left some property behind at Kamloops.
I phoned the hotel and got put on messenger so left a message about my orphaned property.
Later that day I phoned Rocky Mountaineer to see if they could arrange with the hotel to put the stuff on the next RM train. I found that the hotel had already contacted them to make the same enquiry. It was a holiday weekend and furthermore RM were not running any more trains from Kamloops to Vancouver for the whole of the next week. The hotel had got my email address from RM and so in addition to a phone message i also had email confirmation that my stuff was safe and they were trying to work out how to get it back to me.
From then on the hotel staff kept me informed at each step of their attempts to return my property to my Vancouver hotel. Because of the long weekend and the RM situation they were thwarted at each step until the long weekend holiday was over. Within a day of that my package was delivered to my room in Vancouver. Two "540" staff were particularly helpful and put themselves out to achieve the return. Colleen Sherwood who contacted RM and who went to the Greyhound bus station only to find there was no transport available until the Tuesday, then because Colleen was on vacation herself thereafter, she passed the problem to Jocelyn Bennet who spent part of her Tuesday getting the package over to Greyhound, paying the fee and ensuring I knew what was going on.
These two people really put themselves out and deserve an "extra mile" award for customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo