“Holiday Stay”

Hotel 540
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at Hotel 540 over the Christmas holidays. This was our second stay at this hotel. We found the room to be comfortable and spacious. The service was polite and prompt. Marjorie was very helpful in the booking process! We were able to get an early check-in and extend our stay by a day. Housekeepers were very friendly and greeted us every morning. The downtown location is ideal for visiting local restaurants and shops. The hotel is also walking distance from the local hockey arena! Since the last time we were there, they have added a valet service at the front door. We are eagerly awaiting the new addition of the pool and hot tub!

Room Tip: Club floor!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear so_cn,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience ! I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, You specifically mentioned Marj, and yes she has been providing great service here since 1989 ! one of Kamloops' most recognizable faces !

We look forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel 540

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here on a one night stop over in Kamloops. So I only have one nights experince of this hotel to comment on.

So lets start with the positives, it has underground parking (although not immediately obvious)which was good. Reception is bright and airy. The rooms were well appointed and did not disappoint.

The Ok's - Breakfast.

The negatives (bearing in mind we were only there for 1 night). The NOISE! I don't know what was going on the night we stayed there but there must have been multiple room parties going on on our floor and the one above. If people weren't shouting and screaming and running up and down our corrider they were doing it on the floor above! I made numerous attempts to call the front desk but got not answer (I found out in the morning that they were dealing with complaints from other guests most of the night).

The smell of Cannabis was everywhere, be it in the lift of whilst walking along the corriders. Some people may not be familiar with the smell but I am and it wasn't pleasant and not something I wanted to experience in a hotel where I was staying with my family.

So to sum up, the hotel was ok, I didn't have that much of a problem with it. It was more the people/guests that it attracted (on the night I was staying there) which I have the biggest problem with.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Fwaig,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to share your experience. In looking in to this further- we have determined that you had stayed back in August. In matching up your feedback to an evening we had then. I am very sorry of the impact some of these guests caused you. While I was pleased you enjoyed the hotel - I can assure you that this was very much an exception to the rule here. While we are upscale and enjoy a great location, we normally do not attract a party crowd. Our team is very well adept at avoiding this sort of situation for our newly renovated hotel. That said, things do happen in all hotels and we work swiftly to correct them if they do. I would ask that when you return to the area, please contact me directly to make your arrangements personally.. As mentioned, this is definitely not the norm with our other guests, and given the opportunity I am sure we can regain your faith in our services.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Hotel 540 is a great hotel. This is our second year staying at this hotel. It is in a great location and if you wanna have a little fun go to the casino. The staff was great, the rooms are clean, it is just all around great. And when the pool is complete, even better. Nice to have under ground parking. Because it was a company party, they put us in a bigger room. That was great. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Stay in the honeymoon suite
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear AlanaK,

Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel 540 and for your fantastic review. I was so pleased to see we scored perfectly for your stay and you were able to enjoy one of our great suites. We look forward to hosting you again next year !

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel 540 on Dec 15th for a staff party. We where allowed early check in and a late check out. The staff where more than friendly. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small but other than that is was all good. The restaurant lunch and breakfast was very good. And the staff in the restaurant where very attentive. The staff party we attended was also well done , the food was amazing! The staff working the party did a fantastic job catering to all of us! Thanks for always keeping our water glasses full, for those of us that danced. The young man carving the ham, was very polite and cheery! Over all well done Hotel 540!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Ing2012,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your reviews. I was pleased to learn that we scored nearly perfect in all of your categories. Our new Chef is certainly taking our food to a new level in town ! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This renovated hotel proves the truth of the saying: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." I stayed on the Club floor but nothing seemed to distinguish it from the rest, except it was the highest floor and away from street noise. The bedroom was painted and freshened up but small, as was the bathroom with its tiny bathtub, no grab bars, ridiculous toilet paper holder and fixed shower head. The door was shredded at the bottom and other missed renovations/touch ups were evident. The bed was comfortable and provided a good sleep. The room temperatures were easily controlled. The restaurant served mainly pub fare, with the same special two nights in a row (Curried chicken and pasta.) The staff were all pleasant and helpful. Overall, Hotel540 is okay but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear BurnabyTravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to learn that your experience was just ok, and did not live up to those of others, nor our own high standards ! That said, I am sure that if given the opportunity we could regain your faith in being Kamloops' Best Address. Please contact me directly during your next trip to town - I would be most pleased to make all arrangement for your stay myself.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

In short there's not a better place to stay in Kamloops if you want to be right down in the thick of the city. I've stayed at the 540 a number of times, before and after renos and have always walked away happy. Food is good, service is great, location cant be beaten.

Room Tip: Head on down to the casino which is attached to the hotel for a little gamble.....or pop over to the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear AaronAlexander,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share of your experience. As a very experienced traveler and responder to Trip Advisor - I am pleased to read of your comment that we are the best in town - certainly we strive for that. We look forward to hosting you again.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hotel 540 is certainly worth recommending! Our recent stay at the newly renovated hotel was exceptional. We found the staff extremely professional and the rooms big and modern. The hotel's location is super convenient and the valet parking was over the top! Looking forward to our next trip to Kamloops.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Adrienne W,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am so pleased you enjoyed our service, renovations - and yes, valet parking is the way to go !

See you next time.