“Rearranging Deckchairs?”

Hotel 540
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Which would you like first, the good or the bad? Let's start with the good:

1) The beds. I wished I could have taken one home! We stayed in a double room, and then after a bit of a problem, were upgraded to a superior room for our last night. Both rooms had the most comforable beds I've ever slept in - what brand are they, or did you just steal some clouds from Heaven? The linens were immaculate, and though the air con was a bit loud, I didn't mind it at all; to be snuggled in that soft bed, under the fluffy duvet and crisp cotton sheets, in a cool room when it was an oven outside was wonderful.

2) The staff. Everyone was lovely and kind, and when we mentioned the issues we did encounter to the front desk upon checkout, she seemed genuinely upset and sorry for our difficulties. The housekeeping staff were so nice, and even the maintenance man (a fellow with a wonderful English accent) was polite, sympathetic, and accommodating.

3) The renovations. The place is looking quite nice and well-coordinated, particularly in the public/common areas.

And now, the bad:

The renovations. It struck me as a bit of rearranging of deckchairs on a foundering ship, as they were cosmetic changes, and from what we could see, the problems laid with the "infrastructure". Not to mention they were bloody LOUD. From 9 am on, all day on the weekdays, the hammer drills were almost unbearable. I recorded the cacophony on my phone, just for the heck of it, and did mention it to the front desk staff, who were sympathetic and reassured me that they wouldn't be doing any work on the weekend, so the rest of our stay should be relatively quiet, which it was. Relatively... the walls between suites, particularly adjoining doors, are quite thin, and we didn't have much trouble hearing what was going on next door.

The renovations were also not comprehensive. The first room we were in looked to have been only partially redone. The drawers in the bureau wouldn't open, the bathroom had been left untouched, and was old and slightly grotty (though clean!) compared to the rest of the room. This wouldn't be worth mentioning, except that the reason we had to switch rooms was to do with the bathroom. The shower stopped working. Just stopped. When my partner was standing there, covered in soap, and we had less than an hour to get to a gala dinner. Luckily the tub still worked, so he was able to squeeze all 6'4" of himself into the tub to rinse off. We called for help, and the aforementioned maintenance man was sent up. We were still getting ready to leave, and he offered to come back after we had gone to try and resolve the problem. The bathroom in the room to which we were moved had been quite nicely renovated, however. Lastly, we got stuck in the elevator when we first arrived, which was a little bit disconcerting!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peanut1287
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Peanut 1287,

Thank you for sharing your experience - sounds as though you had some very great experiences (bed, comfort, service and loved the renos) but some things managed to really mar your experience. I do apologize for those inconveniences and hope that our team was in some small way able to help work through them. As with any hotel having gone through the multi million dollar renovation the way we have - it was a work in progress that had it's hiccups. I am pleased to say we are FINALLY at the tail end of these and we look forward to welcoming the world to Kamloops' Best Address- The Hotel 540. We hope to see you in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel 540

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I expected Hotel 540 to be a fairly upscale facility based on the pictures on their website, but I have to say that it is quite an ordinary hotel for the price. The area seemed a little shady. Parking is below the building and it is fairly small. It seemed like there was some construction going on, so that added to the overall gloom. The rooms are decent, pretty much like any other 3 star hotel. Overall, it is as a decent spot to crash for the night if you are in the middle of a cross Canadian drive....thats about it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank praveler

Dear praveler,

Thank you for taking time to share. As you stayed in March - we did have some renovations being completed from when the hotel closed as the most recent part of our $12 Million renovation. I hope you enjoyed the heated underground parking in March - as I recall we had a few cold days !

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your journey.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

From YVR to Jasper this is a nice stop over - paid and extra 25 for an upgrade that was well worth it - Full breakfast and reduces diner pricing

Room Tip: pay for the upgrade
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear FRIBOB,

You are a savvy traveler ! thanks for taking the time to share a great tip at our hotel. Yes our Club Floor is one that is a fantastic value and should be asked for when people book. It is a great value as still a very affordable rate ! we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the past weekend. For $125.00/night, I was a little disappointed and I don't say that too often.

When I arrived it was 3:00pm and my room was not ready yet so I had to wait about half an hour. Usually there is a room available so I was a little surprised. I guess they must have been very full.

The bed was very comfortable and the room size was fine. The air conditioner worked which was a plus.

The bathroom was seriously atrocious though. It was so tiny, I couldn't open the door without it hitting the toilet. The faucets in the shower are seriously outdated and work poorly. Further, the shower head was just as old and did not work well. I also got scolded or had very cold water. It often changed temperatures rapidly while I was in the shower which made showering horrible really.

As I say, I guess it's okay for a night or two but I would not recommend a long term stay. At this price, there is bound to be something else. I've paid less than $125.00 a night in Toronto and gotten a far better hotel so I'm not sure what;s up with Kamloops.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Amandadeo,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds as though you stayed in our standard room, these rooms are largely renovated (like Deluxe and Club Floor) but do have some older bathroom fixtures. As such, we charge less for them ( a room type for all tastes and budgets).

I was pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay - next time please contact me directly and I will ensure we have you in a deluxe room or on our executive club floor (best value, includes full breakfast, parking and lots of extras !)

Regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Lovely room with comfy sofa and comfy bed. Hotel front was being remodelled on our arrival - looked like it had been bombed! Behind the chipboard everything was great.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JayneyWales

Hello JayneyWales,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay - yes, we did have a few weeks where our front entrance had been ripped apart - and we are glad to be on the final stages of this now. Our new entrance will make for a completely new arrival experience not seen in Kamloops before. I hoped you enjoy the train !

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This property is trying to be something that it isn't. While renovations to character or historic hotels are the "in thing" this renovation and rebranding just doesn't work for this old, uninteresting building. This DIY reno should have been done with dynamite and a bulldozer. Someone has been watching to many home improvemnt shows.

A wild party a few doors down kept us up until the wee hours of the morning. While staff tried to deal with the noise (thanks for trying) they were largely ineffective. Further, when I reported a minor plumbing problem at check out there seemed to be little interest and I am not even sure it was noted.

Please be upfront with parking charges ($10.00) While most people expect to pay for parking in Vancouver but not here. Pay Parking might seem classy but it just doesn't cut it here. This place is already 30% overpriced at rack rate. (thanks Hotwire for getting me in here $40 bucks under rack so I didn't feel totally ripped of)

I travel ALOT. Motel 6 or the Fairmont,either works on the price and value scale for me. Hotel 540 gets a fail.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kenneth S

Dear LawrenceNicol,

Thank you for taking the time to share you opinion. I was sorry to to learn that our renovations were not suiting with your taste. I would agree that it is difficult to compete with the external character of a Fairmont. As such, we don't - and do feel we price ourselves accordingly. We are in the last couple weeks of an improvement to the exterior of the hotel- at our front entry. I noted your comment on parking - as you booked through the opaque channel - they would not have been able to comment on the paid parking. We certainly do advise our guests when they book directly for this exclusive ammenity (climate controlled underground parking behind a gate). I was also sorry to learn that some other guests did keep you awake, we do our best to control these types of instances. I hope you might give us another try in the future,

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I book it though hotwire and get it under $90(tax included), it is no bad for a three start hotel. The service is very friendly, I always left front desk with smile on my face. The only con I found was the airconditioner is kinda loud in the room. Otherwise, this is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear TOasta,

Thanks for taking the time to share of your experience. I am glad you enjoyed it - and glad to see you had found great value....you got a great deal ! You obviously stayed on a quiet night in our hotel, as our rates do vary as the airlines do based on demand and dates etc. As you know, if you enjoyed our hotel, you may want to book direct next time to ensure you are staying here versus another hotel you may not be as pleased with. Our star rating does give people a pleasant surprise as we exceed that rating in most other channels. We will be updating these ratings once our front entrance is completed, we are also building a 2nd floor rooftop pool and fitness room this fall/winter. More great things to come !

Best Regards,