Which would you like first, the good or the bad? Let's start with the good:
1) The beds. I wished I could have taken one home! We stayed in a double room, and then after a bit of a problem, were upgraded to a superior room for our last night. Both rooms had the most comforable beds I've ever slept in - what brand are they, or did you just steal some clouds from Heaven? The linens were immaculate, and though the air con was a bit loud, I didn't mind it at all; to be snuggled in that soft bed, under the fluffy duvet and crisp cotton sheets, in a cool room when it was an oven outside was wonderful.
2) The staff. Everyone was lovely and kind, and when we mentioned the issues we did encounter to the front desk upon checkout, she seemed genuinely upset and sorry for our difficulties. The housekeeping staff were so nice, and even the maintenance man (a fellow with a wonderful English accent) was polite, sympathetic, and accommodating.
3) The renovations. The place is looking quite nice and well-coordinated, particularly in the public/common areas.
And now, the bad:
The renovations. It struck me as a bit of rearranging of deckchairs on a foundering ship, as they were cosmetic changes, and from what we could see, the problems laid with the "infrastructure". Not to mention they were bloody LOUD. From 9 am on, all day on the weekdays, the hammer drills were almost unbearable. I recorded the cacophony on my phone, just for the heck of it, and did mention it to the front desk staff, who were sympathetic and reassured me that they wouldn't be doing any work on the weekend, so the rest of our stay should be relatively quiet, which it was. Relatively... the walls between suites, particularly adjoining doors, are quite thin, and we didn't have much trouble hearing what was going on next door.
The renovations were also not comprehensive. The first room we were in looked to have been only partially redone. The drawers in the bureau wouldn't open, the bathroom had been left untouched, and was old and slightly grotty (though clean!) compared to the rest of the room. This wouldn't be worth mentioning, except that the reason we had to switch rooms was to do with the bathroom. The shower stopped working. Just stopped. When my partner was standing there, covered in soap, and we had less than an hour to get to a gala dinner. Luckily the tub still worked, so he was able to squeeze all 6'4" of himself into the tub to rinse off. We called for help, and the aforementioned maintenance man was sent up. We were still getting ready to leave, and he offered to come back after we had gone to try and resolve the problem. The bathroom in the room to which we were moved had been quite nicely renovated, however. Lastly, we got stuck in the elevator when we first arrived, which was a little bit disconcerting!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel 540 is Kamloops' premier downtown hotel. This modern property has undergone a thorough $12m modernization and is now often referred to as "Kamloops' Best Address". Hotel 540 offers all the comforts and conveniences of a luxury hotel at an affordable price. Conveniently located downtown within walking distance of shops, offices, and art galleries, the hotel is also a short drive away from Thompson Rivers University, tournament venues and golf courses. The award-winning Sun Peaks Resort is 60 minutes from the hotel.If you are planing a special event, we offer exceptional, state of the art banquet facilities with all the amenities and services necessary to a memorable event or meeting. With accommodations to suit all needs, our blue. Dinning + Lounge, year round rooftop pool and hot tub , 24hr fitness room and our New Mountview Terrace, find out why the Hotel 540 truly is Kamloops' Best Address. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel 540 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Executive Hotel Kamloops