“Adequate for one night”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Squamish, Canada
“Adequate for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

We didn't research a hotel in Kamloops and choose the 540 based on look. The room was fine. The queen bed was fine. It was for the most part clean except for a short black hair in the shower, quite near the tap. That put me off a bit. We had a nice view at the back of the hotel of the rolling hills - being on the 3rd floor we still saw the strip mall though I wasn't bothered by that. There was underground parking and breakfast available on site, although not included in the cost. We had dinner in the restaurant and were semi disappointed. The clam chowder was served with a skin on top, that is as if it had been microwaved or had been sitting under the heat lamp too long. The garlic bread served with it was super yummy. The soup of the day - a roasted red pepper and tomato was yummy and served with crackers. I would've rather had the garlic bread. The salmon pasta was terribly disappointing and i felt overpriced. We didn't get to go to the casino but I liked that it was available. The staff were helpful although did do a double take when I rejected the offer of 2 double beds rather than the queen bed that i had requested - perhaps that had to do with the fact that we were 2 women traveling together. Overall it was fine for one night.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up will have a nicer view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tarouskie
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear Tarouski,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciated your attention to detail as well as the room tip - yes, we are fortunate to have great views and they are better on the higher floors ! I will share your feedback with our new Chef and Restaurant Manager - your comments on the Seafood Chowder would have been from sitting a couple minutes too long. I am pleased to advise that we are in the printing stage of a new menu and beverage menu ! I hope you will be able to come back to try this. Please feel free to contact me directly as a repeat guest, I would be happy to make your reservation personally !

Bryan Pilbeam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

Stayed at the 540 for a business trip with colleagues and we absolutely loved it! The Front Desk employees were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and newly renovated which we all enjoyed. The property and facilities were very clean and welcoming. I thought the location was great and it was fantastic to have the restaurant and casino attached to the hotel. I think this hotel would be suitable for every traveler and I would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear LaurasFavs,

Thank you for taking the time to share you review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel, as well as some of the on-site amenities. Our team here takes great pride in delivering service that is "tops" in the area - glad you agree. I hope to see you again in the near future !

Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

This hotel has been recently updated and it's exactly what anyone is looking for in Kamloops. The staff are sooo polite, helpful and kind, the hotel room was extremely clean (trust me, I have high standards!) and the food at their new restaurant is amazing!! Especially their daily homemade soups!

The only constructive things I would say are that they have no fitness facility and the internet is really slow in the rooms (5th floor), with some pages that will not upload.

Aside from that, you won't have any regrets after staying here!

1 Thank andreamcanany
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear AndreaMc

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you loved the food and service our team provided. Our newly renovated rooms are getting rave reviews for new and return guests. Please note we have just upgraded the speed of our complimentary internet service- this is a must for any business or leisure traveler these days ! Finally, for a fitness room and pool facility - unfortunately we do not have one (plans for future development). Until then, we do provide all guests with complimentary use of the YMCA facilities- just a couple blocks away. As much as it is not as ideal as if it was in the building - they have fantastic new equipment there (lots to choose from) that our guests do enjoy. I look forward to welcoming you back again to The 540 !

West Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

The newly renovated rooms are so clean and comfortable. The spacious bathroom and modern extra large shower was a treat. The beds were so clean and comfortable and the housekeeping woman was so personable and sweet. The restaurant had options for everyone in my family and the prices were very reasonable. Although kids under 18 were not permitted in the Embers Lounge there were ample places to eat and visit within 1 or 2 blocks. Sure a treat to have underground, warm and secure parking included in our room. The kids loved that you needed a room key to get to our floor. The beautiful park and water close by made for a nice afternoon out. Loved that London Drugs and various restaurants were only steps behind and around the hotel. We had tons of options to choose from for food and we loved choosing between Boston Pizza, The Keg, Senor Froggy's and the hotel restaurant. We'll definitely be back for our summer vacation! Thanks to all the hotel staff!

Dear BC Girl 2_11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel, and the service provided by our team. As you mentioned, in Kamloops being downtown is difficult to beat - with the great choice of restaurants, lounges and activities just a short walk - and everything else just a short drive. We look forward to welcoming you back !

Kamloops BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2010

We were very impressed with the large updated room... renovations are ongoing and the exterior is not great. ( Third floor was nice and quiet. away from downstairs casino) We slept well.
Love the spacious room # 341, great dinner, pleasant Front Desk Staff.
Recommended for downtown location, lovely food service and value. "sorry no hot-tub".

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear LaurieKamloops,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share you experience. It would appear you are a local - so you have no doubt seen quite a change in the property in the last year. As mentioned, we are in the last couple months of having the windows upgraded and replaced on one wing - so the scaffolding is up on the exterior- however these rooms are obviously not being rented right now. Glad you enjoyed the conveniences of being downtown as well as the great service and value here at Embers and Cafe 540. Unfortunately, "no hot tub" as mentioned - but we do offer complimentary usage of a nearby fitness facility (with pool etc.) Hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

On a recent business trip to Kamloops I thought I would give the recently renovated hotel 540 a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the very friendly service, and clean newly renovated rooms, and comfortable beds! I would definately stay here again on my next trip to Kamloops.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Cheryl1970,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad you enjoyed our recent renovated rooms and public areas, and am pleased to read you felt our service was equally strong. At the Hotel Five540Forty we are continually working to improve our Guest Experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy that again.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Thank goodness it was only one night. Noisy beyond belief. half of our party had bites when we left. As someone said "best view of this hotel is in your rear view mirror.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank snoop99
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear Snoop99,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I see this was your first review, and am sorry to learn it was due to your experience at our hotel. I offer the same sincere apology I offered your travel companion in their posting of Nov 19. I understand how these events can affect groups travelling together, and a noisy evening is unpleasant at the best of times. I can assure you that your comments here are part of our ongoing commitment to improvement and excellence..

Bryan