“staff are crabby” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Surrey, Canada
“staff are crabby”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

This hotel advertises that they cater to teams. Don't believe a word of it unless you are from a retirement home and you need a nap at 5:30pm. Our hockey team recently spent a weekend there and we very disappointed. The staff were harrassing our kids because they were walking in the halls in the middle of the afternoon. Our team was spread out over 3 floors and we were expected to lock our kids in their rooms and not let them visit their friends. Heck even the adults couldn't get ice because there weren't ice machines on every floor. The staff insisted that we keep our "smelly" hockey gear in a locker made of chicken wire because they didn't want us to smell up their rooms. Well the next morning the staff couldn't find the key. Go figure! Although the rooms were well appointed I have never stayed in a hotel where the kids were threatend and chased by the insensitive staff. I don't recommend this hotel for anybody attending a tournament in Kamloops. You are better off sleeping in your car!

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank oakalla
Timrodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
We provided third floor rooms for the team. Some parents called without telling us they were with the team and were on other floors (full team block was put on the same floor).

We were full this weekend and other guests complained about the kids hallway noise twice which we then asked them to quite down.

We provide a storage for hockey team gear to make their stay more enjoyable and thier rooms more spacious and also to keep the smell off the floors for all guests. The team was aware of this upon booking of our policy and accepted it when booking.

We strive to provide superior customer care to all our guests, which these team policies are used to ensure the satisfaction of all guests and all teams are aware and sign our team policy upon check in.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

We have stayed in many Best Westerns and I must admit we aren't crazy about the chain, but we thought we'd give them another chance. This one was brand new and had just opened, so we gave it a try.

First off, the front desk staff were pretty rude when we checked in. Our reservation was under my husband, who qualifies for the senior rate. I do not. The front desk girl snapped, "is there anyone staying with you? I mean you obviously don't qualify for the SENIOR rate" when I checked in. I replied that yes, my husband was, and that he qualified. She didn't appear to believe me. He was outside having a cigarette. She said that I obviously wasn't a senior and must see him and his ID before she'd go any further in the check in process.

I have never, ever, had this happen in all the years we have traveled together. Yes, I'm younger and I look even younger than I am, but I've never had anyone demand to see my husband and his ID (he's 60!). It's always obvious when he comes inside that he is in fact, old enough to be a senior. She was so rude about it that it set the tone for the stay.

The room was adequate-some of the coffee cups were cracked, the pool was closed, and we were told we couldn't park our motorcycle in the covered area because it was being re-paved "in the next few days". I HATE the tiny half sized pillows. Why can't Best Western spring for better pillows?

Just confirmed to us why we always stay with Hampton. May be new, but can't be nearly as consistent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Timrodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Thank you for your comments from your visit to our property this past summer. I am sorry that we did not meet our service standards with your stay. It is with comments like this that we use to improve our performance to our guests. We have completed the pool since your stay and also added a second option on our pillows.

We are also pleased to announce we have been awarded the "PLUS" descriptor which is to recognized the improved standards that we have added since your visit.

i hope you will visit us again so we can show the improved service and product standards that our owners have instituted.
Mission, BC. Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

I had to travel to Kamloops on short notice unfortunately for my brothers funeral service. The reservation staff were most accomodating, the rooms were large, comfortable, and extremely clean. The breakfast room was a delight, and it saved us much time and aggravation looking for breakfast in the morning. I didnt have time to try out the hotels other facilities(pool etc) but they looked first class.

I dont know if we were treated so nicely because of the circumstances of our visit, but I observed all staff, from chambermaids to front desk clerks, treating all guests in a friendly manner with courtesy and respect.

I I have stayed in "5 star" hotels that didnt have the quality of service of this one.
I am looking forward to staying at the Kamloops Best Western Hotel again, this time under happier circumstances. The staffs kindness and thoughtfulness made a difficult time just a little easier to bear.

Patrick Hamilton
Mission, BC

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HammyJ
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

This hotel was a 5 star the rooms were just great, the service was awesome. I dont know what else to say but you have to stay there. We will again this coming August. I would recomend this place to anyone. Its just that great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Timrodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Thank you for your kind words about our property. We are just completing our first year in business and it is nice to see our guests are appreciative of our efforts to provide superior customer care in the Industry
Venice, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

We were driving from Vancouver to Alberta and needed a place to sleep. This motel was fine. Nothing special or memorable. But ok.

• Stayed October 2010
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Stayed here twice in the month of November. Booking done over the phone direct to the hotel to a very friendly woman. Was first given a gorgeous suite for same price as a standard room (thanks!)....lovely linens and decorations, fabulous modern tiled shower, granite countertops, 2 flat screen tvs, everything very modern, impeccably clean, and very comfortable. A real pleasure to stay in. Second time given a large 2 queen bed room which was also lovely. Both night stays were very quiet. Hotel is insulated well from noise which I really appreciate being a light sleeper. Heat and airconditioning work wonderfully. Normally I stay at the Sheraton Four Points for all leisure and business stays (many!), but from now on will be staying here as it is much nicer, cheaper, and a better location. Although I did not eat breakfast, I did check it out and there was plentiful scrambled eggs, sausage, breads/pastries, yogurt, boiled eggs, cereals, etc. Tons of free parking.

Negatives: I found the front desk staff not super friendly, and both times I checked out they never said goodbye, or really acknowledged me. That's a shame. Also, for such beautiful modern bathrooms, the flimsy cheap shower curtains are kind of "yuck".
Otherwise, PERFECTION!

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

I booked a room at this hotel on BestWestern.com for 1 night. The BW website reservation process keeps defaulting back to "1" in the "number of guests" box, so I inadvertantly booked the room for 1 guest. When I arrived, and the desk clerk discovered that my husband was with me to share the room and the bed, she increased the price by $30.00. In many years of Best Western experience I have NEVER been charged an additional fee for my husband to share the room. I'm sure that since BWs are independently owned it is legal for them to do this, but it surely borders on "unethical" in my opinion! Beware the business practices of this hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BWkamloops, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
If this guest had put two persons in the rate quoter on Best Western, she would have seen the double rate as was applied to her booking. While it starts at one person as a default, it is quite easy to change to 2 persons. Her comments make us believe she never checked the double rate but tried to book a single rate as she would have know about the price difference.

We post both single and double rates on all our channels that you can book rates and this should not have been a surprise to the guest.

Tim Rodgers CHA