“Our door wouldn't stay closed leading to the outside!”

Days Inn Kamloops BC
Ranked #37 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
“Our door wouldn't stay closed leading to the outside!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I searched for days to find a decent, inexpensive, clean place to stay. We ended up at the days inn Kamloops because they had a pool, our dog was allowed, and it had a kitchenette. Apon check in, the lady was very pleasant, but not knowledgeable of the costs of the rooms. We checked in, got to our room, a1 bedroom suite. I went into the bedroom, went to open the balcony door, and the door knob fell off!

I let reception know. .. there was no one to fix it, until the next day. That night my husband leaned the coffee table up against the outside of the door to hold it closed while we slept!

The next day my son and I went to look for the pool, but couldn't find it anywhere! I called reception. .. she then informed me that there was no pool at that time, it was under renovation. No one informed us on check in.

We left the hotel for the day. When we returned, our door was still knobless. I called reception again. She said she guessed the manager didn't get the note. We slept again, with a coffee table holding our door shut.

Apon check out the following day, I expressed our dissapointment with our experience.... the receptionist said sorry, ran my c ard, and said goodbye!

I emailed the company, they apologized, said sometimes its hard to inform everyone of the absence of the pool, fix doors etc.

They offered 10% off our next stay! I gasped! Then laughed! I would never stay there again! What an insult after paying $200 + or - for a room with a door that won't stay closed in minus 20 weather! And missing ammenities. ...unreal.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
B.C. Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

March 03, 2013

We looked at the hotels on line, and this property came up looking mighty fine, all upgraded and all, and very reasonably priced. My husband thought he was calling direct to the hotel, but it turned out to be Expedia. Oh well...we've booked through Expedia before and no problem, so he went ahead with the booking.

Well, when we saw the building, my heart sank. I thought we should have known a lot better. I mean, what do you get for $85.00 a night. I didn't understand at all, how the pictures could be so deceiving. Right up in hotel alley with the Four Seasons, the Coast Hotels chain etc., and here I was....in the worst looking building in the area. Yes, that's the truth of it!

Oh my. And it did not get any better when we entered the lobby. It's smallness was made worse with dismal lighting. It looked shabby. I knew we could not cancel an Expedia booking, but...I WAS prepared to forfeit and move on if our room was what I now envisioned.

We had trouble with the lock, and I did not like that I could see light from the inside all around the outside door frame. I wondered how secure the door was. The locks are all card entry, but old mechanisms. We had to make multiple attempts to enter the room. The doors seemed poorly aligned.

Anyway when we did get inside...what an enormous surprise!! The room was spotless, upgraded and comparable, to many of the Best Western Plus properties we frequent. . The bed was heavenly, with perfect pillows. Best bed anywhere, anytime, ever! None of those jumbo sofa seat cushions so many places pass off as pillows. New carpet, new furniture, lamps, stainless bar fridge, upgraded microwave to what you normally see. Did I mention the 47" flat screen t.v.

The breakfast was absolutely nothing special. No eggs of any sort. Just cereal, yogurt, bagels, breads, muffins, fruit and juice. Oh, and a waffle maker. All adequate, but less than what many offer today.

One fellow in breakfast area asked me if we had trouble with the locks, and when I said, "yes", and explained the consistant sticking and needing repeated efforts to get in, he said.."we just kick it...works every time". Now, that could be the alignment problem? How many kicks can a door take? Maybe new locks are required?

Anyway, despite the wonderful room and bed, it is not enough to make me return. If we were meeting friends I would be embarrassed to tell them where we were staying, just because it looks so bad from the outside, and the lobby is screaming for help too. We will be more than happy to return when the exterior is spruced up with at least with a coat of paint.

Room Tip: Just ask for an upgraded room in case they are not all upgraded yet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ohmeohmy
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here just the one night, but would have loved a week here, the staff at this hotel are exceptional, the rooms are five star, the king bed so so comfortable, and breakfast choices,!!anybody staying Kamloops, or traveling I recommend this hotel, you will love it, well done days inn!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Tofield, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed as part of a three week Road trip. We stayed in numerous hotels in this price range. Overall this was the best value. The room was very nice and the breakfast room has a beautiful view and the best breakfast we came across. The best part was the staff. Both in the check and at breakfast. They were very kind and pleasant people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family