“Great Food”

Morgan's Bistro
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Beachfront location with an unobstructed view of the lake from a second floor Patio, with a list of fabulous dishes that suit everyone's needs. Every dish has amazing flavour.
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Dined here last week on a busy night, only one guy working the front but service was great. Really enjoyed our meals. Classy joint.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

First time we've been here and it won't be our last! Came for an Anniversary dinner and it was all good ~ shared a yummy salad then had braised lamb (succulent) , steak (cooked perfectly and very tender), shared a chocolate dessert and were even given extra raspberries :)
Good service and a visit from the owner.
Fabulous view ~ we got to sit on the patio

1  Thank Travellers2anddog
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed a week in Harrison Hot Springs BC and this was by far the best restaurant we tried. It was not cheap but the food was of a very high quality both the steaks and the sea food. They were also very accommodating for our five year old grandchild who also enjoyed his meal. The staff were helpful without being over bearing. Not to be missed if you are in the area but best to book in advance

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Best place in town, we were told, and they didn't disappoint. Their lake-view balcony was full when we got there, so we dined inside. They had a great menu - we had a strawberry and asparagus salad and then the tequila lime prawns and the halibut (oh, the dressing! A horseradish vinaigrette that made everything exraordinary. How I would love to have that recipe!).

The staff took good care of us, which we as honeymooners greatly appreciated. Will go again next time we're in town.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is an excellent dining establishment and heads and shoulders above any other establishment in the area. I knocked off one star because of a few minor mishaps and loose edges that I don't expect in a restaurant of this quality.

Dress code is all over the place. Since this is a resort and vacation area, they do welcome guests in shorts with kids, etc. But if you are dressed up for a night out, the place is elegant so you won't feel out of place. I actually like the dress code though because it works for the location.

There were only 2 people working the front of the restaurant the weekday evening that I dined here. At first it was only one guy and he was the bartender + hostess + waiter. I got the impression that he was primarily the bartender though. He looked like he made some good drinks. I saw him making a mojito where he was hand pulling mint leaves from the stems, an ice tea type pitcher that he was making with all sort of spices and leaves, etc.

At 6:20pm, the place was mostly empty inside but the outside tables were all full. The bar was a little messy with a bag on one of the chairs, a laptop on the bar, and an empty 24 pack of coca cola cardboard + plastic on the top of the bar (as if they just got back from Costco). The messy bar took a little bit away from the elegant nature of this establishment.

I overheard the bartender tell another table that Morgan wasn't here today so oh well...would have been nice to meet her.

At around 6:30, the waitress arrived for work. She was acceptable and did her job and there really wasn't anything to complain about but it would have been nicer if she was a little more relaxed and friendly. She told us the specials.

We ordered the bread appetizer, duck liver pate, caesar salad, spaghettini w/ meatballs, halibut, and rib eye steak. The waitress explained that they didn't have the short ribs tonight but made it with a beef tenderloin instead. When I asked for her advice on that vs the rib eye, she recommended the rib eye. I always like when a waitress is willing to work with you on recommendations from the menu, etc.

The waitress took our order but for some reason she couldn't find a pen that worked. The first pen didn't work so she walked back to get a second pen and that didn't work either. I am not sure if the 3rd pen worked but each time she got a new pen I had to repeat my order which was a little annoying. I couldn't help but notice a cup full of around 20-30 pens on the table though.

The bread appetizer was good and the bread had a nice hard edge with what tasted like parmesan and salt. The evoo + balasmic plate was fine. It was only $3 but I thought for $3 they should give you a full loaf instead of the 8 cut pieces or so that were there (maybe about 1/2 loaf worth).

It took about 40 minutes for our food. I'm actually ok with this as one of the things that this tells me is that the cook probably makes each dish to order and doesn't pre-make anything. In that time, I saw another table of 3 people come in and all 3 of them ordered the same thing...spaghettini w/ meatballs. After about 20 minutes they started complaining about the wait asking where their food was. The bartender guy told them "they're just plating them now" and then it took another 15 minutes or so after that for them to get their food.

I saw another group of 3 walk in, get a booth, get their water, get their menus, and then sneak out a few minutes later. My only guess is that they felt that the prices were pretty high. The menu is a little disorganized and the mains start with the Halibut for $30 on the top. The organization of the menu should be a little better with some lower priced dishes on the top so that they don't scare away folks like that (or maybe it's better that riff raff get scared away). Maybe they should put a menu outside if they don't already do that.

The halibut was excellent. The portion was good, the rice on the bottom was cooked well with a nice hint of lemon. The vegetables surrounding the dish was a good variety of carrots cooked multiple ways, asparagus, sweet potato, etc. Overall an excellent dish and winner of the night.

The rib eye was also excellent. My wife and MIL eat their meat well done and only in the past few years have I gotten them to loosen up a bit and order their meat medium-well. It was cooked medium well with mostly no pink. The cut was good. They offered this dish with a choice of mashed potatoes or polenta. I would have preferred the polenta but my wife isn't much of a foodie so she wanted the mashed. The mashed was mediocre...potatoes a little dry and hard, etc. But the steak was the star of the dish and it performed well.

The spagettini was excellent. The pasta was cooked al dente and the tomato sauce had a nice hint of spices and fresh chopped garlic. The meatballs were hand made.

The liver pate was forgotten (or not written down). It came late but it was good...but didn't stand out.