“The Public Hot Springs Pool is Not Inside This Hotel”

Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa
Vancouver, Canada
“The Public Hot Springs Pool is Not Inside This Hotel”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel has 5 mineral hot pools. I live 90 minutes away and wanted to use them for a day. So, I phoned first to see how much it would cost. I was told that typically, you need to be a guest of the hotel to use them. Some conditions apply for walk-ins to access them for a hefty fee if the hotel is half empty (or something like that). I was then told that there is a public hot pool. For $9.

WARNING: The Harrison Hot Springs Public Pool is not inside this hotel. It is in a separate building a couple of blocks away, along the waterfront. The public pool has free parking. The hotel has pay parking.

I parked at the hotel, and when I realized I was in the wrong place, they kindly refunded my $5/hr parking.

The public pool temperature is 100 degrees fahrenheit. The female change rooms were quite nice in that there were private changing cubicles with a curtain.

2 Thank Joanne S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Harrison Hot Springs Resort and Spa offers a wonderful experience where one can relax in one of the pools, have dinner and dance, enjoy a walk through the breath taking scenery and more. This is the 4th year we have returned and we can't wait until we return again. We were there over the March break but even with all the other guests there was room for all in the pools and no children in the adult section in the 7 days we were there. This being said the resort does seem busier over the years and would benefit from another outdoor pool. The customer service is second to none, the rooms were clean and well kept. You have to be very carefully when booking rooms here. We have stayed in all sections of the hotel and you definitely have a better stay in one of the towers, we prefer the West Tower facing the lake. Yes, there are some more affordable rooms in the older sections but in this case you really pay for what you get. The rooms in the older section are antiquated, noisier and not as well appointed. The food is pricy but good as are the cocktails ect. But you are provided a resort experience and the cost is definitely worth it. Located in a very small community, one can walk just about everywhere. We always walk over to Village Pizzeria, the food is excellent as is the service. We have been to Harrison Resort as a couple and with our children and have enjoyed it equally on all occasions. They provide an excellent opportunity to unplug, relax and enjoy, a beautiful thing in a crazy hectic world. Don't forget to bring your flip-flops or sandals!

Room Tip: One of the towers, we prefer the West Tower facing the lake.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Really44
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This elderly hotel has the bones of a fine place, but she is in need of a facelift to bring her into the new century. The bathroom, with its deep tub and pounding shower, is great....although the paint around the mirror vanity was peeling quite badly and obviously poor quality to start with. The big tv in the room was a pleasant surprise, although we were not there to watch tv. The beds were....sufficient, and the bedding was nice.

My biggest complaints are that there was no air conditioning in the room; it was only the end of March, but it was still terribly stuffy in there. We opened the window and turned the fan on high, and it was tolerable by bed time, but I can't imagine how insufferable it would be in the heat of summer! There were only two electrical outlets in the room, which were nowhere near the mirror, so if one person is using the bathroom, good luck drying your hair or putting your makeup on in the main room. There was no light in the large walk in closet, not even a "stick up" kind. Lastly, the decor in the hallways was pathetically outdated. They need to get rid of the two-tone, two-texture wallpaper and the pouffy floral curtains/toppers. It's tragic.

The lobby was warm and inviting, and we were able to escape to the bar, where we nursed a couple of drinks and played crib in solitude for a couple of hours. THey had "tea time," which was a cute throw-back to places like the Empress in Victoria. The roaring fireplace was cozy, and when not crowded with kids, was another place of solitude to enjoy the ambience.

The pools were disappointing....they are not big to start with, and were totally crowded with families and rowdy kids. Like a previous reviewer stated, I agree that the adults only pool is not really a respite, because the area is so small and noisy. Someone left their coffee cup on the edge of the pool, and there was no one (staff) around to clean up or keep order. There was a sign that said the pool bar was open, but no sign of it or any employees. It didn't look all that well kept. The employees in the bar and the lobby were very friendly and attentive.

All in all, I didn't feel like we got great value for our money. The manager said in another post that it's about the "full resort/spa experience," but I'm sorry, for that I would expect more than a crowded kiddy friendly pool and a complimentary robe to use while I'm there.....the experience doesn't include massages or other spa services, so his comments were slightly misleading. Harrison is not, after all, a world class resort....it's a decent, BC resort. I'm glad I went, but I'm not in a hurry to return.

Room Tip: It might be a good idea to pay extra and have a room with a view....but DON'T choose to look ove...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Thejourneygenie
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We are a couple in our late 20s looking for a quiet getaway. This was my fourth stay at the resort and there were some highs and lows. It seems after every trip I'm always on the fence with them (and always willing to go back because the pros seem to just barely outweigh the cons). We stayed on a Sun/Mon/Tues over spring break, hoping that it would be less busy than the weekend but no such luck. If you are looking to have a relaxing vacation away from screaming children, avoid the whole month of March.

Our room:
By far the best part of our trip. I had requested something higher up so that we would get a nice lake view and they put us in the top floor directly facing the lake with 180 degree views. I was blown away by how amazing the view was and our room was beyond reproach. Nice King-sized bed as requested, large TV (which we didn't turn on once during our stay, LOL). Nothing better than having coffee out on that balcony. Definitely exceeded our expectations. I highly recommend paying the extra money to get the better views and avoid the "Main Hotel" section, which is beside the pools and much older.

The pools:
By far the most disappointing part of our trip (besides the food at the Lakeside Cafe...but we don't really come here for the food). The pools were packed to the brim with children at all hours of the day (though we didn't stick around until the 10pm-11pm "Adult Only" time because last time we did it wasn't enforced and there were still children in the pools). They do have a hot tub for adults only but because it's directly beside the warm "Kids" pool it's not at all quiet or relaxing. Every subsequent time we have come here the pools seem to get busier and busier and unfortunately parents don't always seem to have adequate control of their kids (not a fault of the hotel but due to the affordable price point in some areas of the hotel, lots of families stay here). I was talking with one of the staff at the hotel who said that often families will pack 5 or 6 kids in one room. Because the hotel has no policy against this, it has become more of an attraction for families rather than a romantic getaway for couples or quiet vacation for adults. The main draw for us has always been the pools and so if the pools continue to be overpacked then we may decide to look elsewhere for our weekend getaways. Perhaps they should consider expansion and build another pool.

Dining:
We purchased the "Getaway Package" which includes dinner at the Copper Room and breakfast at the "Lakeside Cafe". The Lakeside Cafe was not good, especially considering they charge $17.99 per adult! The few meat offerings they had (bacon, sausage) were way too salty and the quality was low. In terms of fruit all they had was sliced watermelon (which I enjoyed), grapefruit, and a fruit salad that consisted of mostly watermelon again and a few other types of melons (which is clearly the kind that is pre-frozen). They do have an omlette station which is probably your best bet but I would recommend just walking across the street and finding a cafe in town that serves breakfast for literally half the cost. Also, if you go for breakfast after 9am, be prepared to wait in line for 10-30 minutes.
The Copper Room itself I felt was very dated and the band that was playing looked and sounded dated too. The decor was a blast from the 80s/90s and the band played music from the 50s/60s. The music they chose to play I felt wasn't all that upbeat and not many people were inspired to dance. The drinks and food were WAY overpriced. They charged more for martinis in the Copper Room than in the lounge literally 30 feet away. That being said, the quality of the food we ordered was excellent. With our package we could either order off of a set menu and have it all included or apply $37 to selections off of the a la carte menu. My fiance ordered off the set menu and had a decent meal (I wouldn't say his food was worth the price though). I ordered a la carte and very much enjoyed it. I had the wild mushroom polenta and the duck breast with foie gras. The dishes were small but packed full of flavour. Highly recommended!
Finally, the lounge in the lobby is one of the few places without children (or without anyone, really - it was always fairly empty). The bartender/servers were very professional and friendly, they do such a good job and although the lounge itself doesn't offer much in terms of a view or ambiance, we enjoyed ourselves and went back there a few times during our stay. Their martinis are consistently made and generously poured.

Service:
The service we received in all parts of the hotel was excellent. I have zero complaints here and commend their staff for doing a great job during the busy season.

Other amenities:
They have a recreational building across the street that boasts board games, pool, air hockey, floor hockey, and bingo. The board games were either all gone when we went or they didn't have many to begin with. The other games were all full and again the building looked dated and in need of an upgrade.
We used to enjoy the afternoon tea and snacks offered at 4pm....this time the one day we went it again was packed full of screaming kids, you couldn't find a place to sit anywhere to actually enjoy your tea. I don't know, tea time to me is supposed to be civilized, quiet time (wow I sound like a snob but it's true!). But all the families with their kids dripping wet from the pool filled the lobby and it took away from the experience.
As someone else mentioned, construction was happening along the street so this also took away from the charm of the town but there are some trails nearby to walk and they are nice. In the summer the town is bustling with activities and people so if you're looking for that, go in the summer.

Overall, I think we may have one more stay left in us. If we get the same kind of experience during an off-peak season time, then we will probably not come back. I'm hoping the owners do what needs to be done and give this hotel a major overhaul so that it continues to be the main attraction for all groups of people, instead of focusing on making money by just pumping people in and out of a facility that is old and outdated.

Room Tip: East wing is the newest and tallest tower.
4 Thank pretty_in_punk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2014

My third visit to Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa, but first in about 10 years. The town is very quaint but in March 2014 road construction along the shore diminished the experience of the town. The Resort & Spa is great - dated but clean and the service is excellent. We stayed in the newest wing with full views of the lake and it was beautiful to wake up to the sunrise. The room was large and quiet on the 8th floor. The reason to stay here is for the hot mineral pools. These are clean and well kept. There are five different pools of varying temperature to choose from. They have 'adult only' time in early morning and late evening. For the first time I tried the spa and had a shiatsu massage service and the service was great - a bit pricey - but the therapist was good. The copper room is a blast from the past - with formal dining, live band and 'ballroom' style dancing. The meal was good. The service was excellent. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The breakfast buffet food was average - the made to order omelette bar was my favorite and you can ask the chef to do anything including not adding too much or any oil. The guests age varied from honeymooners, to families, to retirees and everything in between. Soaking in the hottest outside pool... ahhh. Relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old section are closer to the pools and spa. Lake facing rooms in any section are nice...
Vancouver
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Haven't read too many reviews on their cottage accommodations, so wanted to give a bit more info about them. My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights during Spring Break and we wanted to bring the dog. The cottages are pet friendly without an extra fee, although they are priced higher than the normal hotel rooms. However, they want to charge $100 per stay for a pet in the normal hotel so it would be more expensive than the cottage and definitely not worth it.

The cottages are lovely. The have a nice living room area with a TV, fireplace, air con, futon, some chairs and a small desk table and a mini fridge that is perfect for wine and beer and small snacks. The bedroom has a comfy queen size bed with a fan and heater too. There is a small closet and dresser. The bathroom is pretty small but it does the job (only shower, no tub). The only con is the uncomfortable futon! If I had to sleep on it, I would have pulled the mattress off and just slept on that on the floor. You could really feel every bar under you while sitting on it. Not a huge deal if you don't need it, but I wouldn't be happy needing to be the one to sleep in the living room on it.

The cottages are located near the back of the property along the river with lots of green space and close proximity to the Miami bridges trail (great for a dog walk). There is easy access to the pools and rest of hotel through a back gate.

Cottages are the way to go when staying there if you have a family or pets and I'm sure I will be staying in them again!

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I booked a 3 night stay at the resort and got the getaway package. For first timers I would recommend this package because It comes with a nice dinner in the copper room and buffet breakfasts every morning during your stay. From all the reviews I read I was a bit worried we might have to upgrade our room, but we were given a room close to the pools and was more then good enough for our needs. Pools are great for relaxing and 2 days in to our trip we could not help but to book a fourth night. Staff was great, food was good and Harrison in march was good enough when staying in a resort like this. Pizza place down the street was great. Were going back next week for 2 nights cause there is not much else this close to home that is this nice. BYOB

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison Hot Springs
#3 of 7 in Harrison Hot Springs
The Spa Motel
The Spa Motel
#4 of 8 in Harrison Hot Springs

Been to Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!