“Has this place gone downhill!”

Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Don't bother staying at this hotel if you're not booking a poolside room in the West Wing.

I called last week to book a last-minute weekend retreat, and I was shocked at how rude the girl on the phone was. I don't if she was having a bad day or she just didn't like me, but when I got there I had what has to be THE worst room in the entire hotel, and it wasn't even in the building I had asked for. (I would understand if they were full but I learned from the bell boy that they were 50-60% occupancy, which means there were at least 100 other rooms available.) It was tiny - so small there was only a side table on one side of the (double!) bed because there wasn't enough room on the other side. The shower head was too low and nothing drained or flushed properly. The room also smelled badly, although I left the window (which faced a wall) open and by the time I got back from soaking in the springs it was tolerable. But for $200 a night in the off season? No thanks!

The pillows were also awful. They felt like those kind with little bits of shredded foam inside instead of a whole piece of fill, so that when you put your head on it, your head essentially rests right on the mattress because the pillow completely flattens.

I can honestly say I have stayed in $60 a night motels with nicer rooms (see my review for Western Traveller, Grand Forks.)

I have been to the Harrison Hot Springs Resort dozens of times - once or twice a year for "girls getaways" and also for some special events. If you can get a poolside room, go for it. With sliding glass doors to an outdoor freeform hot springs pool, it's even worth putting up with bad service at the front desk. However, next time I am in town I am checking out the new Harrison Beach Hotel, because I walked by and it looks fabulous and I would love to take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank CanuckGal84
There are newer reviews for Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 3, 2008

The cost of our awful stay was just over $300 in total, which is completely overpriced for what we got. I will never stay at this overpriced hotel again. They're the nicest hotel in the area & they know it, but there is no excuse for charging an arm & a leg for mediocre rooms & rude staff. Stay elsewhere!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Bill89
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Spent a weekend at the resort. It was quiet sleepy and just what the doctor ordered. No it is not the best resort in the world, but frankly if it were... it would not have been as quiet and quaint as it is.

Stayed in a room in the new tower, facing the lake ($189). Spectacular view. Rooms were very nice and the pools were great. Lots of serene walking time. Id go back for a quiet break there anytime.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank World_Traveller084
Reviewed February 15, 2008

never ending mistakes!
Very disappointed overall, reservation is a messed!
Although my 4th time in this resort, I will not come back.

We've booked a spa and stay weekend package for my wife's Birthday & Valentine's day vacation. We were notified the day of that our couple massage got canceled because they were short staff, after complaining to the Spa Manager, she offer us 50% off but we have to take our massages in 2 different time slot- that really spoiled our vacation, what is so special about taking individual massages on Valentine’s. We took the offer anyway just to see if their GREAT service will make this up -- NOT.

We got there and found our room reservation also got canceled? Few moments later, they found 1 booking with the same last name but they were stupid enough to force us to take someone else’s reservation? After repeatedly stating their mistakes, they finally clued in how messed up this is and reinstated our previous booking, so hopefully this is it, right? ….. NOT

We were told that our room is not ready, That’s fine, so the reception told us to wait and will get us our room “soon as possible”, 1 hour later, the same manager came up to the waiting area and said that our room was available an hour ago and why we still haven’t checked in? How bizarre is that. Am I supposed to know when the room is ready? Or Should I be checking at the front desk every 5 minutes?

Honestly, the service we got this time is very terrible. Hopefully no more mistake in the next 2 days.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank cflude
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed at the Harrison over New Year. It was the worst hotel room I have EVER stayed in disgusting, there was a hole in the bedspread. The new side of the hotel is supposed to be very nice and $20 difference, We were in the old part. I don't understand why the rooms we had are even offered. I would not have had my pet in there. It smelled and was dirty. The whole place in fact was grubby and in need of a good clean. New owners in USA have let this place go. Traveller BEWARE!! I'm not going back to see what the other rooms look like.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tracy89
Reviewed January 25, 2008

We choose this resort solely based on the fact they have 5 private mineral pools. We wanted to book the newer part of the hotel but opted for the main (older) one as it was cheaper as we're not too picky as we went for the pools. We were pleasantly surprised by how wonderful the room was. Nice decor, spaciousl clean and had a nice cozy feel to it although one of the beds was a bit soft but hey, for a one night stay, can't complain. Great they have bath robes for you to use as it keeps you warm as the very brief outside walk to the pools can be quite nippy during this time of the year but once you are in the pool, AHHHHHHHHH, relaxation baby!!! Can't ask for anything more.....sitting in a hot pool and gazing up at the stars. There was a conference going on and it didn't feel crowded at all. The indoor pool as nice but a bit too hot for us so we spent most of the time in the adult only pool which was great!! We checked out but were still able to use the pools until two PM which was great. Breakfast buffet was divine....great food, wonderful service and an overall two thumbs up. We went to Harrison Pizza for Dinner and they do a great job....we decided to check out the Executive Hotel next door while waiting for our pizza and boy were we glad we didn't book there.....it looked a bit like a motel not a hotel as they adverstised on their site. We would have be so mad had we booked there.....spend a bit more and go to Harrison Resort....you won't regret it.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank Bluesummer
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I went there for a Christmas company party one year and was throughly impressed, that my husband and I have went back 2 more times. The regular rooms are alright, they are of a typical hotel, large and nothing outstanding, but not horrible either. Big beds and big, fluffy white robes are awesome. The last time we booked a suite for 2 nights, well worth the price! It was private, overlooked the lake, quiet, nice. I just loved it. Nice things about this hotel is: you can rent movies (very recent releases) on the tv to watch, order reasonably-priced room service. Prices jump during the holidays, but off-season or during the week the prices are extremely reasonable. I love their food, especially their buffet! They're room delivery is good too, except one time our burgers were way to salty. The spa services are awesome to have available. We got a couple's massage and it was awesome, expensive, but awesome to induldge (about 145$ in Canadian for a couple's massage). The robes are so luxurious that I swear you have to buy one from the gift shop. Nice things nearby: places to eat, shop, and a gift store and cafe inside the hotel. They also have a fancy music/dancing restaurant there, the buffet/dining room as well. My fav is the pools. I love the hot, outdoor pools and the fact there is an adults-only area. They let you bring your drinks in the pools which is nice and they are open until 2 am! Go in winter and get a snowy view of the mountains while in the tubs, it may even snow on you while you're all hot and cozy in the tub. They are not too hot, perfect. There are many of them. Great to take kids on as well, but mostly for romance or work conventions. I love it there. Beautiful. Magnificent. I"m surprised at the bad reviews, seriously.

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled on business
The Royal Hotel
#4 of 9 in Chilliwack
Hampton Inn By Hilton Chilliwack
Best Western Rainbow Country Inn

Been to Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!