“books and food too and free parking”

Wendel's Bookstore & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Fort Langley
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Wendel's nourishes hungry minds and bodies as an independent bookstore and fresh-food café. The café lavishes readers with a menu of fresh fare made in-house that eschews preservatives and accommodates dietary needs with wheat-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian options. An outdoor patio puts patrons in prime reading, people-watching, or espionage-conducting position to enjoy local scenery along with breakfast selections such as organic blueberry pancake and omelettes. Lunch and dinner selections span hand-held bites such as the chicken-and-avocado wrap and heartier dishes such as wild-salmon-and-asparagus salad. Coffee and espresso creations range from lattes and cappuccinos to mocha frappes and are brewed with beans from local roaster Moja Coffee and water from the local fountain of youth.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We entertained some friends from the USA here this week - the food was delicious, plentiful and hot - cooked to order - we had macaroni and cheese, coffee, pear and brie quesadillia's and lemonade and were too full to have any of the wonderful dessert s - we spend some time browsing in the book store and I bought a really unique card but found, when I got home that the envelope is too small to fit the card - so that was a waste of money !! I would go there again - it is an hours drive from our home and it was an hours drive for our USA friends but worth it (except for the card)

1  Thank Robin K

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Wendel's Bookstore and Cafe is a great place to relax, enjoy a fresh coffee and snack and step out of the franctic pace of the world for a few moments. It has excellent food and very prompt service. The washroom facilities are generally very clean and the ambience of the place makes it an interesting stop. Fort Langely is a beautiful and quaint little community (a part of Langley Township) and a must see for those visiting the lower mainland. Our recent visit was the result of our hosting friends from Hungary and they loved the place.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have been visiting here since we moved to Langley 15 years ago. It started out as a relatively unknown neighbourhood gem but quickly earned a stellar reputation. It seems like it is packed all the time now. I agree with other reviewers that it can feel a bit claustrophobic (unless you score that coveted table by the window) but the service and the ABSOLUTELY AMAZING food more than make up for this. While the ambience is a bit part of the appeal, it is really not a hardship to take your edible treasures to-go and enjoy them elsewhere in this unique corner of the Fraser Valley. I am very serious about how wonderful the food is. Every single thing I have ever tried, I loved, and I cannot say that about any other establishment. My husband is still grieving the transition to the "not quite as good" carrot cake but we are still loyal ! The bookstore has some cool stuff too.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Combination bookstore & organic café. Rain or shine it has a nice ambiance. I make a point of visiting every time I visit the town of Fort Langley. You can sit & chat with friends, people watch or windowshop. There is only one bathroom so you have to wait. This cute place tends to be very busy so staff is frequently rushed.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We just experienced Wendel's in Fort Langley which was recommended by a dear friend. She was right. It was very good. It is a combo bakery and lunch spot and book store.
My husband got the Turkey Avocado Wrap and it was tasty. I got the Butter Chicken, which was an East Indian dish. I was disappointed in the lack of heat in this dish but it was good. The desserts looked fabulous.
And we got a table outside, which made for great people watching. Highly recommend this place.

Wendels_Manager, Manager at Wendel's Bookstore & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! Next time you're in, please feel free to ask for your butter chicken to be a little more spicy. It's easy for us to add heat to a sauce, and not so easy to take it out ;) Thanks again!