“Great Breakfasts in Duncan”

Dog House Restaurant and Take Out
Ranked #9 of 115 Restaurants in Duncan
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is not a fancy urban diner but they make a great breakfast at a reasonable price which explains why it's always busy in the morning. The servers always have a coffee pot in their hand just in case you need a refill. No waiting! If you just want your pancakes, eggs etc., this is the place to go.

There are newer reviews for Dog House Restaurant and Take Out

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Greasy Food. Greasy Servers. Bland. Bland. Bland. Bland.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

When I was growing up, every time we made a trip Victoria, we would stop at the Dog House for lunch. Childhood memories make for high expectations, so I was a bit nervous to visit it again as an adult. I wasn’t disappointed.
SERVICE: Our waitress, Maren, was phenomenal. She was funny, relaxed, and efficient. She gave me an honest opinion about a menu item I asked her about, and I can’t say enough about how valuable a quality that is in waitstaff. Looking around, I could tell that almost all of the staff was happy to be there. Given that we arrived at the tail-end of a Sunday lunch period in a restaurant that is probably slammed every Sunday morning, this is a good indication that something is “right” at this business.
FOOD: I had a two-egg breakfast with sausages and pancakes. My husband had the steak sandwich, and we shared “Fun in a Pan” for dessert. The portions were not huge, but I’m actually a fan of reasonable-sized portions when eating out. My eggs were cooked to perfection, and the presentation of the steak sandwich was really nice for a family restaurant. The dessert was delicious: I live the whipped cream cheese texture. One free beverage refill is included with the meal, and they have a fairly substantial selection of juices. The menu is huge, and breakfast is served all day. The selection of desserts made in-house is extensive and includes all kinds of pies (including blackberry, which I was so tempted to try!).
ENVIRONMENT: This is a family restaurant through-and-through, popular with seniors, families, and locals. Not a lot has changed here since I was a kid. The dark wood booths are still here, and there are lots of “vintage” things to look at on the shelves. The place is probably due for an update (or at least a full dusting), but given my childhood nostalgia, I’d say the decor part of the charm: it really, honestly looks like grandma’s house! There is a display case in the entrance way full of desserts. The bathrooms were clean. Sadly, there was no free wi-fi.
BOTTOM LINE: Better than I remembered. Economical. Maren (our waitress) was AMAZING. Huge menu.

1  Thank LadyIslayErrington
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband ate their and had a chicken ceasar salad. He was sick for 2 months and had several test done. It was salmonella. The health autority contacted him to find out where he had contracted the virus. Been there before this incident and the food was terrrible. Bad service as well. Stay away.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This restaurant is amazing! The food was great, the service was very good, fast and friendly. My partner and I were really impressed with the crab cake appetizers they were tender and wonderfully flavorful!!! We kind of hummed and hawed about eating here because it is an older restaurant, but once we got inside and ordered we were really glad we stopped here. This will be our first choice from now on when in the area!!!