“Great customer service”

Thunderbird Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Duncan
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We got into town a bit late and needed a place to crash. We checked out one of the chain hotels and weren't impressed so we tried the Thunderbird. The room was spacious but really and truely it was the service that impressed us. Despite being pretty booked up, they went the extra mile to try to make us comfortable and offered us advice on what we should see while we were in Duncan. Customer service is everything and these people get it!! I totally recommend the Thunderbird to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I came into Duncan and stumbled upon the Thunderbird. The owners are terrific people.The rooms simple but clean. The Thunderbird is in a good location. All in all, the Thunderbird in is a great value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian J
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Spotless, spacious, king bed with sofa, fridge, microwave, air conditioning, blackout drapes which should be a priority and owners that care. Extremely convenient location.
The owners look after everything and really care about their guests and staff.
They are a very warm, welcoming, down-to-earth couple that you can't help wanting to stay with. They are very selective as well. They don't just check in anything off the street to fill rooms and this gives the guest a definite sense of security.
We normally stay in large chains and I have no idea why I chose to check this out but I'm very happy that I did and when we want to get away and are headed for Duncan or surrounding areas, The Thunderbird Motor Inn is where we'll stay. We're looking forward to seeing Martin and Maureen again soon.

Room Tip: Top floor, with no one above is always my pick and we had that.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This place is a hidden gem. My room was spacious and had a kitchenette, the bed was comfortable, the shower had great water pressure and most importantly the room was very clean. The room stayed cool even though it was very warm outside, so I only had to use the air conditioning for a short while and did not have to leave it running all night. The location was great, close to the municipal pool, complete with water slides, and the local theatre. It was a short walk into town to see the totem poles and free music in the park every day. The motel is managed by the owners who live on site, which makes for a well managed safe feeling stay. The owners are friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. There is a restaurant on-site that has ridiculously large portions of wholesome food.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had been warned off another local hotel in town and after looking at recent reviews on TA, decided on the TBird. The owners/managers were exceptionally polite and accommodating. They both seemed to always be tidying the property and gave the impression they really did care about the facility and our stay. Although an older property, it was clean, comfortable and overall very decent value. There are limited accommodations in Duncan as far as hotel/motels go, but based on this experience, this would definitely be one to consider.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We were slated to stay and another hotel and when we pulled up outside there was a pub brawl about to break out. We left there and TA point us to this place overall good experience. We paid 90 which I felt was a little steep for this place but that's was fine. Clean rooms , but a little aged. Overall good place

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have not stayed at a motel for years so I cannot compare the Thunderbird to other properties regarding amenities or price. I thought the price was reasonable. The room was clean. It had a newer TV, clock, microwave, fridge and very important to me coffee pot with coffee supplied. I was aware upon entering of a musty odor but leaving the door open relieved that. Considering the location, it was very quiet at night. The folks at the desk are very accommodating. We were told to call if we needed anything and were offered an extension if it was a problem vacating the room at the expected time. If I find myself in Duncan again I would return here to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncan
Best Western Cowichan Valley Inn
Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay
Super 8 Duncan
Super 8 Duncan
#5 of 6 in Duncan

Been to Thunderbird Motor Inn? Share your experiences!