Best Western Cowichan Valley Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Seabreeze Inne(Salt Spring Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubthe main highwaytim hortonscowichan valleywestern hotelsbreakfast menuhotel restaurantthe food is greatnice beddingwifi connectionroad noiseattached restaurantroom was cleanon siteswim meetfront desk staffwould stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Several of my colleagues have stayed here on business so felt confident in booking a room for the weekend. We had requested a rollout bed for our son who was with us but this was not in the room when we arrived. When I asked one was provided but it was broken so my son had the choice of feet or head hanging down all night. We paid extra for him to have a room on his own the next night so he got a good nights sleep but we did not. We have no idea where the noise was coming from - possibly next door's air conditioning - but there was a very loud humming noise all night long. We could also hear whoever was in the room above us. Just so this review does not seem like a sleep deprived moan, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We enjoyed a quiet drink in the pub where the service was excellent. We had breakfast in the restaurant on the second morning but could have saved time and money by walking over to Tim Horton's.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JaneE1956
Reviewed June 3, 2012

While the outside of the hotel looks quite dated, I was pleasantly surprised with my room. For a basic business stay in the area I would recommend. Reasonable rates, rooms have been updated with newer furniture, flat panel TVs. I am a clean freak that travels with disinfectant wipes (seriously!) and the room was super clean. Love that! Wifi worked well. Some room considerations - I recommend a room not facing the highway, although not too loud I could hear traffic In the morning as my room faced the highway. Also, there is no elevator, so older guests or guests with a lot of luggage should request a first floor room. Pub on site served good pub fare food with good service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
CVIOwner, Manager at Best Western Cowichan Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words. Our staff are very proud of the work that they do and hearing compliments like yours from our customers is very much appreciated.

We hope that we can look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Kurt Pyrch
Manager

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Checked in on a Sunday night. From the time I walked in, it felt a little weird. The front desk lady was checking her Facebook account on the public lobby computer when I arrived. Another staff member had to motion to her to assist me at the front desk. I arrived with luggage, and was waiting at the front desk, the lady at the desk just stared at me, so I stared back ... What else could I be doing at the front desk besides checking in? I was not even welcomed, she just quickly asked for my last name and credit card, told me to sign here and there. Did not even tell me my room number, just handed me my key package.

Stairs and hallways are outdated. There is not elevator. Room is standard for a hotel room. I discovered last hat evening that the bathroom sink drain would not open, called the front desk, she advised me it was broken. I was offered a new room, but declined as it was late and I had already unpacked. She advised me it would be fixed e next dy, which it was. I appreciated that.

Over the course of my stay, I found all the front desks and office staff to be very loud, discussing loudly personal trips they were planning and people they knew... Confidentiality???

Exercise room was stuffy, with outdated equipment. The treadmill would work periodically, the exercise bike stats could not be reset and the tv was old with horrid color.

Overall, it could be worse, but it could also be better especially in the professionalism of the front desk staff...

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the highway are probably better
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank christinern
CVIOwner, Owner at Best Western Cowichan Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Once in a while comments are made that give one pause for consideration. This is one of those.

The desk clerk may or may not have been checking her Facebook status or some other thing, which on a Sunday night in a small town in British Columbia will help the staff to fill in some time on what is usually a pretty slow and uneventful evening of the week. In days of old they would have looked up from a book they were reading or maybe a crossword puzzle. It's called 'life' folks and that is what staff do all over the world when you the traveller are not spending your two or three minutes checking in. I am sure the lady at the desk found that a customer who just stands and stares to be a little weird too, but I can only guess.

So the guest found an efficient check in to be a little impersonal and for that we apologize. That is not our style. But what we do focus on is: Did we get the details right? Did we get the guest checked in to the correct room and type and is all well with the guest? Apparently those details were lost on this particular guest. Oh well.

Now this last point about the check in is critical: We do not tell any guest their room number, especially so with female travellers. This is a policy for our guests security. Period. It is bad, bad policy to announce to a hotel lobby and anyone therein the room number of a guest staying with you. Can you say... Confidentiality? The room number is and was clearly printed on our preregistration key envelope so that the guest knows where to stay. Obviously our super secret technique worked because the guest did in fact find her way to her room.

Although our sinks are new, installed during our bathroom renovations this past fall, they may like any sink, lose a connection with the drain stopper. If it can happen at home it can happen in a hotel. I am glad that the efficiency of our maintenance crew was acknowledged in getting the problem fixed at earliest opportunity.

We have a two story hotel and no, there is no elevator. If we had a third story, we would add one. Most two story hotels are like us and if stairs are an issue for you, we can accommodate you on our main floor.

Our exercise equipment is older but it all works well though I have never been able to figure out how to set the stats on any piece of exercise equipment anywhere. I get on a treadmill, I walk or run then I turn it off. I get on a bike and peddle till I'm tired then I get off. Perhaps there is something about working out that is more important than the anaerobic exercise and working up a good sweat, but I have yet to determine that thing.

Over the course of the guest's stay she found the front desk staff to be outgoing and in her words, loud. Good. They always will be. We run a hotel, not a morgue and our staff are encouraged to be outgoing and friendly, not dour faced automatons standing like sycophantic robots waiting for an idle stare to roust them into action. We try to foster a work environment where the staff will enjoy their jobs and yet perform their tasks well and accurately. We have done so for over 24 years and will continue to do so as long as I run the place. Our regular customers are very, very appreciative of this and they love to return. Many will get a hug and a dozen smiles to go with their chocolate upon arrival. (Join Best Western Rewards and get yours too!!) So no apologies will be made now or ever for our staff being people while they do their jobs. You have my word on that.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Ok, I had to stay in this hotel for 2 nights. My ranking of "poor" is based on the expectations of a 3 star hotel.

Location - First of all, Duncan is pretty small so I'd think most of the hotels are pretty well located. This hotel was off the main highway and beside a Tim Horton's and a Coldstone. Just across the street is a mall with some big box stores, which was pretty convenient.

Check-in - This was pretty smooth and no real issues. I did ask how to get to my room and was given confusing directions. Even when I started walking in the wrong direction, the reception didn't say anything. Not a good start. I didn't receive any water or chocolates, but I'm not holding that against them.

Room - A very standard room with the HVAC unit against the wall. On low setting, there was a low roar and I could sleep. However, my colleagues complained about the noise and the had to unplug their units.

The bed was really soft. It was too soft and I was pretty uncomfortable. It felt like those mattresses hadn't been replaced in decades. The pillows seemed decent and weren't too mushy.

The work desk had decent space but the only way to connect to the internet was through an unsecure wireless connection. That didn't give me a ton of confidence on the security aspect. Speeds seemed decent, though.

The bathroom was pretty small. The towels were piled on the counter space above the toilet. (Ugh!) The shower stall had very visible spots of mildew and mold all over the place. That just grossed me out. And I'm a guy!

Restaurant - Due to the meetings I was attending, I didn't have a chance to try the food. Well, I did have an opportunity the last day but decided to go to a real restaurant instead.

Check-out - This was pretty quick but the front desk really didn't seem too interested in how my stay was and just gave me my bill.

Overall - Would I stay again. Nope. I'd definitely look for a newer hotel and one without mildew/mold in the bathroom. The rate was pretty cheap but I'd rather pay a bit more to stay in a nicer hotel.

Tips - So where did I go to eat? I found a place called Bistro 161 and the food was fantastic. Prices were also very decent. It's off the main highway but seems to be in the "downtown" part of Duncan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the highway. Better yet, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Braindrain
CVIOwner, Owner at Best Western Cowichan Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

We will do our best to respond in point form as the review was written.

Check In: No issues and we're glad that no chocolate was wasted on a guest that would only complain about the shape.

Room: A standard room is correct. We're a Best Western, not a Four Seasons. Every year there are a few people that may not like the sound of an in wall air conditioner / heater, but since there is no such thing as a silent one, unless it is turned off, we do the best we can. They are energy efficient, really quite quiet and they work very well. The other 14,000 guests that stay with us each year don't have issues with them, so we'll go with the majority.

The Beds: New Serta Presidential Suite Pillow Top mattresses were installed in October of 2011. You will find the same mattresses in Westins, Fairmonts and other leading hotels of the world. Other guests rave about their comfort. We'll side with them.

The Internet: All Best Western hotels are required to provide secure internet access to their guests. Ours is above standards and as secure as can be. What we don't do is ask for your information. Nor do we track your bandwidth usage or log any of your personal information like many other hotels do. That, does not make you more secure. Our speeds are five to ten times the Best Western standards. We provide our guests with the fastest available connection speeds, you simply can not get faster without direct to outside hard wire.

The Bathroom: The bathrooms are of a slightly older design style, but are clean and comfortable though about 6 square feet smaller than a newer design. We've checked for any signs of mildew and could find none in any of our rooms with shower stalls. We invite potential guests to check for themselves. And since when is it wrong to put extra towels on a clean shelf?

Restaurant: It is too bad that the guest didn't stay and eat in our establishment, our food is among the best in the chain and much better than the 'real' restaurant that the guest went to.

Check Out: Sorry if we didn't spend time chatting.

Overall: We're glad that this guest won't be back. We'll focus on the ones that will, all 14,000 of them.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Cowichan Valley for 4 nights last week. The staff are super friendly and welcoming. We took our 2 small dogs and they were greeted and given treats every time we came in and out! The rooms are spotlessly clean, staff in the restaurant are warm and friendly. This is a busy hotel, if you know ahead when you will be there, be sure to book ahead! Great location if you love Tim Horton's and shopping is close by. We had a room on the highway side and no issues with noise. The front desk really goes out of their way to make your stay great!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family