“Do the day experience its well worth it and the memories are priceless”
Review of The Raptors

The Raptors
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Duncan
More attraction details
Owner description: Birds of prey have always inspired awe. Sadly, they are threatened in many parts of the world. When you experience them up close, you learn that they are more than predators from the sky; they are essential to maintaining the delicate eco-balance of our planet. The Raptors offer compelling and interactive experiences with a variety of birds of prey species including eagles, hawks, falcons and owls. Get closer than you ever imagined to these majestic and intelligent creatures. Flying demonstrations, hands-on encounters and educational talks offered daily (April - October). The Raptors is located in the heart of the beautiful Cowichan Valley, just 60 minutes north of Downtown Victoria and 45 minutes south of Downtown Nanaimo by car.
Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Do the day experience its well worth it and the memories are priceless”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was always going to visit the raptors and it didnt dissapoint.

I did the day experience and its one of the most interesting experiences ive done "ever"!! I highly reccomend doing it if you have some interest in birds of prey. The hrs I spent with my trainer made me feel like i was apart of the place (i was lucky being the only one) and had the chance to hold many different raptors (eagles were out of bounds tho due to it being dangerous for unexperinced to handle them) ranging from hawks,falcons, owls and a favourite of mine flying on of my native birds the kookaburras.

You get the chance to really get one on one with these amazing creatures and the handlers are a wealth of knowledge on the birds they look after with a knowledge on each and every personality of the birds too!

You can see the effort they put into the place and its admirable to see it well kept and they show they really care.

I'll be back to hopefully undertake the the week course as ive had my taste and would love to experience more. Thankyou ladies for a wonderful time.

1 Thank austpt

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Incredible - WOW”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Did you know an owl can hear a mouse heartbeat under four feet of snow? Did you ever make a Kookaburro laugh? Or get really really close to a bald eagle? This is the place to learn and experience raptors. WOW!!
We were spellbound for 3 hours!! We learned so much and were thrilled to hear ( I mean not hear ) the sound of eagle wings flying inches from our heads. It's not a big place. There are picnic tables and a small gift shop.
We will definitely go back. Everyone should have this experience.

1 Thank victoria_BCLeam
Duncan, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We love it”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We live in the area and visit several times a year. When guests come we always take them there and they love it too. We have seen young birds learning to fly and know several of them by name
As we live close by there are raptors flying close to our deck. I think some might be from the centre.
The staff there are very dedicated and entertaining, while doing a great job of educating the public.

Visited August 2012
Vancouver
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The Raptors - birds of prey - up close”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you appreciate birds of prey, this center is definitely worth a visit. I'm an amateur photographer, and I enjoy photographing these beautiful birds. The center offers a demonstration at 1:30 (definitely worth seeing) and 2 different forest walks, Owl Prowl and Raptor Walk additional cost for the walks) - see this link for more info - http://www.pnwraptors.com/?page_id=78

They also offer a 1 hour session with a handler for $90.00 ($45.00 each for a friend and I). We dropped by The Raptors on our way to Victoria. They were nice enough to set up time with the handler, who brought in 3 birds for us to photograph. One thing that impressed me...their primary concern is for the welfare of the birds, they won't overwork them for a photo session. The handler politely advised us when the owl had flown enough and suggested photographing a different bird. If you are interested in photographing a particular bird (or birds, owls for example) I would suggest setting up an appointment.

The handler, Martin, was also very well informed and gave us information about the birds and their habits.

Definitely worth a visit.

1 Thank TwoBootz
Cowichan Bay, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great place to visit”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was and excellent place to visit.
Amazing birds.
Would be great for group visits especially school groups to educate the young.