“Lovely little secret garden,very tasty food.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
Ladysmith, Canada
“Lovely little secret garden,very tasty food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

We just tried this restaurant, it is in a lovely heritage home with the nicest porch overlooking one of Chemainus famous murals. The service was great and the food very good.

• Visited May 2014

Port Alberni
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at Kudos. The atmosphere is quiet and peaceful. The menu is varied and easy to pick from. Our dinners were authentic Japanese served timely and Ken, our server was cheerful and knowledgeable. Portion sizes are just right. We feel we got very good value for our money.

We will definitely return to Kudos.

1 Thank MARKAYDALE
Duncan, Canada
“No respect for patrons”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband made reservations for Kudos for Valentines Day. We showed up on time only to see every table in the place full. The owner approached us and we told him we had reservations. He began gesturing towards the full tables and smiling apologetically. I asked if he had our reservation written down and he just shrugged and walked away. Two women who were sittling at a small cramped, unset table right beside the door got up and offered us their table. They said they also had reservations that weren't honoured so they were leaving. We took their table and quickly realized why they were leaving. We were wedged between a chest freezer and a window with dirty vertical blinds hanging in it. The cold coming from the window and the door was intolerable. I asked my husband to pull the cord on the blinds to close them and hopefully block some of the cold air. He did so but most of the vanes were missing so it made no difference - and like I said - they were filthy and off-putting. We waited about 15 minutes and the owner/waiter didn't come back to ask if we wanted anything. Just as we were giving up, another couple walked in and got the same gesturing and sad smiles from the owner. I asked them if they had reservations and sure enough, they did - for the same time that we did. We offered them our table and warned them of the cold and cramped quarters. Another couple came in behind them only to find out their reservations were not honoured either. Everyone left unhappy and the owner didn't seem too upset - he had a full house so why would he care? Our evening was rescued by the Saltair Pub down the road who made room for us at a nicely set and cozy table in the corner. We got a great meal, complimentary champagne and dessert and live (quiet) entertainment. We've been to Kudos in the past and the place is kind of grungy and the food is overpriced but we enjoyed the food so were willing to pay the price and ignore the less than appealing surroundings. But, their lack of respect for patrons who make reservations, drive a distance and make sure to get there on time trumps the food no matter how good. We will never go back.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TrishHenry
Duncan, Canada
“If I could give more stars I would!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

This little unassuming restaurant has managed to make the decor fit into Chemainus and retain the Japanese feel. We were lured in by the 4.95 bento box special that was the take out price. We chose to eat in and for 6.95 we had a choice if 3 items and a choice of tea. The selection was great. Our server was attentive and not overbearing. Great value and great food. At the end she brought the two of us 4 cookies. Then two pkgs of chicklets with our bill. What a sweet little find. Will definitely be returning !

1 Thank Sherilee B
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Kudo's New Menu ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I intended to just try the food once at "Kudo's" and then move on to the other Restaurants on the walking route ,which I walked daily on my 2 wk visit to Chemainus. "Kudo's" menu items were absolutely mouth-watering. I think I tried them all. I especially enjoyed it when I would buy a $5.95 special (sampling of menu items) and walk the one block to the ocean-side park and have my picnik. The portions were large and very reasonably priced. The service was outstanding. The owers "Milo & Oscar" were warm and friendly and I will definitely make a point of vacationing in Chemainus again, because the food at "Kuduo's" leaving me craving for more. The outside patio is zen like. Very peaceful.

• Visited May 2011