“Disappointing after renovations”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Williams Lake
Bella Coola Valley BC
“Disappointing after renovations”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This property has been under renovation for several months and when finally receiving a finished room were very disappointed. The bathroom was cramped with the door unable to fully open before hitting the toilet, making it necessary to squeeze in. There was no air conditioning and limited electrical outlets. Pool heater was not working. Overall, not recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DuncMorgan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Prince George
Reviewed August 8, 2012

So on August 7th it was 30plus degrees. We had reservations at the Sandman in Williams Lake. They had just finished a very big dollar renovation. We stayed in the suite building. We walked into our room which was quite nice but needed the a/c on. After a couple of minutes I realized there is no a/c. I phoned the front desk and the gal suggested we open our window. Well, we were on the 1st floor facing front bumpers from a host of different cars. Also our window did not lock. So I called the front front desk again and they had no other rooms available. I then called the Super 8 and they with no problem reserving us a wonderful room with a/c."Thank you Super8."
I also know now that the Sandman Inn Williams Lake have many rooms w/out a/c.
So while your traveling through Williams Lake take heed lest ye want a non a/c room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank benPrinceGeorge
ArleneDeWilde, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Williams Lake, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I am sorry that you had a bad experience due to our air conditioners - out of our 111 rooms we have 14 that do not have a/c units. These rooms could not have an a/c unit installed due to either space or power supply. Of course when we have the kind of weather that we had recently all of our a/c units are working very hard to cool the building. Again, please accept my sincere apologies. I hope that you will visit us again - please contact me directly, and I will ensure you have a 'cool' room and a complimentary upgrade if possible.

Travelers are raving about these Williams Lake hotels

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This motel is being remodeled. We stayed in a portion of the hotel whose rooms were being renovated around us. This hotel was built in the early 1970s, yet has no elevator! Some rooms will require climbing four flights of stairs, with steps on each flight ranging from four to eight.
Don't stay if you hope to sleep during the day; saws, hammering and the voices of workers will keep you awake.
I heard an odd sound outside the door. Opened it to find a workman prying away the moulding from around our doorframe!
Let's hope that when the work is complete, it's a nice place. Though the rooms are okay, they have a minimum of furniture. One small desk accommodated one of our two laptops. I had to use my laptop on the bed.
I hope that the refurbishment addresses these failings -- and puts an elevator in the building!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lowest floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Shmerlop
Victoria
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is going through a major renovation and is really improved. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. I stay frequently and would recommend this hotel. Stay in the suites.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I am going to be brutally honest here and tell you how it is. I unfortunetly have to stay here all the time for work but would never ever consider staying here for my personal life. Some sandman hotels are tolerable and actually quite decent, this however is one is not of them. They have had ongoing, long overdue renovations that have caused the place to become extremely dusty, dirty, and noisy. The wireless internet is very poor and extremely slow. The front desk people and manager is very rude and uncaring, the maid staff are constantly trying to get into your rooms when your in there trying to sleep and sound like having a party in the hallways right outside your room. The card keys for the rooms hardly ever work, and you find yourself having to return to the front desk to get your room key reprogrammed. The rooms are dirty and poorly equipped. Many rooms don't have the proper Kitchenware that you may need. You may have to boil water in a frying pan like I did because it didn't have a pot or a microwave. The water from the hot water tap always smells really bad, and actually makes my whole room smell gross, like rotten eggs. The showers are terrible and most bath tubs are over than the hills. The cable tv works on a few channels, the rest are fuzzy and it's like watching tv through a snowstorm. Some of the beds are very bad and you feel like your either rolling into centre of the bed or rolling off of it as one side is higher than the other. The air conditioners are either really loud or they work quite poorly.

The Denny's restaurant is one of the worst ones to ever be affiliated with a Sandman hotel. The food is cold, inconsistent, and the staff is rude and very slow.

All of this stuff i have talked about is absolutely true and have been addressed with the staff and management of this hotel on numerous of occasions, however it falls on deaf ears because even after years of staying here it has not gotten any better. I would say they just want your money and don't care whether you have a great stay. Just remember you do have other choices where you stay and spend your money.

I would not spend a nickle of my own money here. Sincerely, Not Rested!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank travelbuffs41
Whistler
Reviewed February 17, 2012

My first choice is the Sandman - this one needs help fast
The hotel is run down and the bed was horrible.
Staff were pleasant but whoever owns this needs to spend money and upgrade it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank anafricanincanada
Teslin, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2012

i had a pretty decent kitchenette on the newer side. i had the sandman club card which got me a free upgrade. i didn't have the number on me though so the clerk took my word for it & upgraded me which i really appreciated! i got her my number after i checked in. i used to live in willy's puddle & stayed at the SI a looong time ago. the pool looked about the same it did back then.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo